Fluid leaking down on rear dust shield?? ideas?

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Hey guys i just noticed this as I was coming into work this morning.. On the drivers side rear wheel.. The dust shield at the bottom is a little wet from a small leak of some sort.. I guess it could only be one of two things.. brake fluid (reservoir seems full) or bearing?? My truck just rolled 101k miles on it.. you guys ever see this? I am sure i will know more one i get time to pull the wheel off.. Again it's not puddling it's just wet looking down the dust shield..??

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
How hard is this to change and how long can i wait? I assume I should flush my diff out afterwards?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
When to do it is completely your call. Myself, it it was my truck it would already be done. I hate leaks.

With the right tools you can do the job in about 40 minutes. 20 minutes if you have done it before. On the ground plan on about two hours. You don't need to flush out the rear. You have to remove the rear cover and remove the center pin in the carrier to get out the axles. Just about four cans of brake clean will do the job. You'll need both axle seals, 1 bottle of Friction Modifier and four quarts of 75W-140 gear oil.

Struck U

Established Member
I have the same exact problem. I am still having trouble convincing my wife that I need to put in a true-trac and fresh bearings/seals just because an axle seal is leaking.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Struck U said:
I have the same exact problem. I am still having trouble convincing my wife that I need to put in a true-trac and fresh bearings/seals just because an axle seal is leaking.
Oh it needs a TrueTrac. Have her call me and I'll vouch for you :D

Last edited:

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Well I will do it soon as I hate leaks as well.. It must have just started because it wasn't like that a week ago. Thanks for the help. I have changed axles in mustangs so it can't be that much different. What gear oil do you recommend in these? What does the friction modifier do?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
The rear calls for 75W-140 which is Synthetic gear oil. I use Ford but I can get it for free so I guess that explains my choice.

The Friction Mod is just "LSD" Limited Slip Additive. It's for the clutch packs inside the carrier.

Axle removal is the same as Mustangs.

Users who are viewing this thread