Fluid dripping from top side of trans

PM-Performance

Established Member
Since I cannot see up inside the tunnel too well, maybe you guys can help that have seen your 6060 on the floor before.
Is there any kind of vent tube or anything on the top side of the trans? Maybe facing the passenger side?
I was racing a few weeks ago and got under the car last week and noticed some fluid on the bottom of the trans and splashed on my trans brace and X on my X pipe. I cleaned it all up and took the car for a ride and just a tiny bit since then.

Since the car had royal purple in the trans and pretty much similar looking to oil now, I am not sure if it was oil dripping from somewhere and went back across the top of the trans and dripped down, or if it was trans fluid puking up somehow?
Any insight?

I originally thought it was my rear main seal puking a little but I am sure I would have seen some indication of clutch slip or fluid dripping from the weep hole in the bell?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
when the Magnum in my mach was leaking fluid from the top it was a loose shifter letting it slosh out

PM-Performance

Established Member
when the Magnum in my mach was leaking fluid from the top it was a loose shifter letting it slosh out
These are remote mount shifters. They do not drop in the top of trans like the top loaders do.

I think I found the answer though. There is a vent tube on the top or pass side of trans that caused the puke out I think.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Correct, it is the vent tube.
Did you recently fluid change?
-J
No, this was from racing. I did change the fluid today though just for peace of mind. I noticed this after the last bout with some 1Liter sport bikes I was racing. I must have pushed it hard enough that the trans puked up a bit and it pushed some serious crank case pressure and pushed some oil up past the catch cans too

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Yep, its probably the vent tube. I also had the same issue after HPDE, there was oil all over the trans and my conclusion was overheating and spilling from the vent tube. You can buy an air scoop for the trans, MM and FRPP make nice ones.
I'm also getting heat shields for the exhaust pipes running along the trans because at HPDE the car is subjected to a lot of heat for a long time, something to consider.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Yep, its probably the vent tube. I also had the same issue after HPDE, there was oil all over the trans and my conclusion was overheating and spilling from the vent tube. You can buy an air scoop for the trans, MM and FRPP make nice ones.
I'm also getting heat shields for the exhaust pipes running along the trans because at HPDE the car is subjected to a lot of heat for a long time, something to consider.

Interesting on the scoops. I will have to look into that. Thank you greatly!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The transmission air scoops were originally designed for the Boss 302 to direct air over the cooling fins on the bottom of the transmission. It's just a air diverter welded into the cross bar on the rear of the k-member. How effective they are on the TR6060, I can't say, but it can't hurt. It could affect ground clearance. There's a few variations of that scoop and are usually supported with aftermarket k-members too.

69b302

Established Member
Not sure if it’s an over heating issues, as my car does this on 1/4 miles. Seemed to be more related to shift rpm on my car. 7k+ Shifts had lots of venting issues. Some fluid seems to vent less. Running Pennzoil synchromesh currently.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
On my current Magnum XL I’ve used the spec fluid from D&D Motorsports.
I shift around 7000-7200rpm.
Don Walsh worked on a custom additive package to work best with the Tremec synchros and how most of us use the trans.
-J

Last edited:

PM-Performance

Established Member
Not sure if it’s an over heating issues, as my car does this on 1/4 miles. Seemed to be more related to shift rpm on my car. 7k+ Shifts had lots of venting issues. Some fluid seems to vent less. Running Pennzoil synchromesh currently.
Interesting theory as I was winding it out further than I usually do. I was probably 6800 or so.

mdoan

Established Member
Glad you figured it out. The hydraulic clutch line runs in that area but it’d be difficult to cut, especially if you have the stainless braided line.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Glad you figured it out. The hydraulic clutch line runs in that area but it’d be difficult to cut, especially if you have the stainless braided line.

I know it’s Deff not brake fluid. I would have smelled that and it probably would have started peeling paint up.
It was Deff oil or trans fluid, more likely trans fluid.
I am glad it was trans fluid and makes sense atleast. Now that I have normal red fluid, it will be easier to confirm if it happens again.

mdoan

Established Member
Not sure how long fresh ATF will keep its color. Longer than brake fluid for sure. Just something to keep in mind as I’m sure you know.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Not sure how long fresh ATF will keep its color. Longer than brake fluid for sure. Just something to keep in mind as I’m sure you know.
I thought I have seen ATF with many many many miles and still red. I never knew it changed color to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread