Flowmasters to Stingers

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I recently made the change to stingers after much debate. Because I am cheap, I welded flowmasters into the stock pipes shortly after I bought the car, and added some 3.5" tips. With a MAC pro chamber this set up had drone so I added resonators into the mid pipe, it helped somewhat.

I wanted a magnapaks but wasn't successful at getting them over in the market, so I found some stingers on ebay. I figured I could swap out muffs in the future if needed. The ball joint flanges were rusted and are not SS, not sure if they are the original ones. I had to bend the hangers on the right side to get it to fit right. The female side of the ball joint itself is less than 2.5, I guess to allow use with the factory 2.25" H. I did a half-ass 1 hour polish job on the areas that are visible when installed.

I expected the stingers to be quite a bit louder the the deltaflows 40s, but they are not really too much more. Idle is louder, and cleaner. Mid RPM, mid throttle is definitely louder, but WOT is similar.

4601S/C

Established Member
I think you need the 2.5" piping to really bring it out, and drop the resonators. I went down a similar path, but my car came with the 2.5" American Thunder Cat-back (w/ Super 40 series mufflers). I just have the stock h-pipe still. I just recently went to Magnapacks and it's much louder at any given RPM range than the Flows from what I can tell. Try taking out the resonators at least. I hear the Stingers and packs are on par with each other in terms of volume. If anything I think the Stingers would be louder, as I think they are smaller than the Magnapacks.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Just to clarify I have 2-1/2" from the manifolds back, I bought a complete stinger cat back not just s-types mufflers. The resonator are also 2-1/2", they are welded in, and I hope they help remove some of the rasp that is common with offroad midpipes & stingers.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Drove some freeway miles with the stingers. I wouldn't say them 'drone' at certain RPMs like the chambered mufflers, they are just consistently loud and annoying at all RPMs. That's OK since I don't take long trips or have a long commute any longer. They are no better or worse than the flows, given the same midpipe.

Users who are viewing this thread