Flowmaster on my lightning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartersfosicks

New to the L
Established Member
Just curious as to if it should sound good and if its the correct setup. I am having 2 flowmaster 40 series put on, should it be just one?

Grimace

Established Member
No. L's have dual exhaust. It is deceiving, the stock muffler is a single muffler with 2 pipes going through it. 2 flows would be the way to go.

Rdslightning

Black Is The Fastest.
Established Member
Well I had borla cat back on my truck, didnt like it, Put a 40 series muffler in, didnt like it, set it up to run with just two highflow cats, better, just did a xpipe. I thinks a little better. I think just doing a muffler is ok but wont give you that muscle sound I agree with Grimace go with the high flows I think thats the best way to go.

trueblue4ver

Established Member
Go with two 1 chambers. Everyone that has those say they sound good. Everyone that says they have the 2 chambers say they sound like a jet plane and not very loud.
....Silver Bullet....Silver Bullet....Silver Bullet

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
I had Flowmasters and i hated them. Instead i went with dual in/dual out Magnaflow with x pipe. Removed the 2 back cats and it sounds great. Loud as all hell at WOT.

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
FleeMan said:
I had Flowmasters and i hated them. Instead i went with dual in/dual out Magnaflow with x pipe. Removed the 2 back cats and it sounds great. Loud as all hell at WOT.

Which flows did you have though? Ive heard nothin good about anything but the singles...

bluespringsbolt

Established Member
I went the el-cheapo route and just switched out the muffler only for the dual in dual out Flow. Don't do it. It is THE stupidest sounding. Sal even asked me when he dyno'd my truck, what kind of exhaust is that? Does sound like a jet above half throttle. Hoping to do the headers/2 high flows/bassani soon. Can't wait to hear that. I do still believe Flowmaster is very good quality.

boca ron

Banned
i had dual 40s with x b4 mufflers i thught it sounded good, im now running the single 2.5 in 2.5 out magnaflow in comparison of the 2 in terms of sound only i think the flowmasters sounded better but doesnt perform as well on top end low to midrange was equal or marginally better imo. definitely loud and deep sounding maggy is more raspy on mine

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
With manifolds and all cats still I assume, the flowmaster american thunder catback which I had didn't sound too great, it was on my truck when I bought it.

Pretty much a single 50 series muffler and ugly tips is what this Flowmaster American Thunder catback for the Lightnings are.

I recently purchased JDM's Silverbullet catback, and I love the way it sounds over the Flowmaster, specifically at cruise and WOT.. My Flowmaster seemed to drone and sounded like a jet fighter at WOT. The Silverbullets in my opinion are one the best upgrades if you want something that looks (tips) and sounds mean when you're on the throttle. The idle remained about the same at idle. Performance gains are probably about nothing, but it the Silverbullets sure sound good!

I heard a Lightning with just two flowmaster original 40 series, it sounded pretty good.

I say go with the whole Silverbullet catback if you're not on a budget.

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
I personally think the old 5.0L ford w/40 series flowmasters is about the best sounding exhaust....ever.

But on these modular motors they just don't sound good at all.

I did find a bit of a compromise though.

I went with a after cat (X pipe included) spintech. It has a very flowmaster type of sound. And here is a 34mb vid showing a before and after a cat-less mid pipe install. (the spintech and stock exhaust manifolds are on the whole time. I just swapped out the stock mid pipes)
34mb video

Rich

KenneSVT

GOT BOOST??
Established Member
See Sig. I have a true dual setup with 2 chamber flowmasters on my Lightning. It sounds almost stock at idle. When under acceleration or WOT it sounds really good though. Ive had many compliments. I like it quiet at idle though. My Supercharger whines and you can hear it better. Makes my truck appear more stock....except for the whine...lol...

ChuteboxeL03

Established Member
The reasion why lord tauks sounded like a jet was because of the 2 chamber, our trucks sound awsome with the singles.

blownbayou your right you did start the craze, if i didn't see your little vid i would of never bought the singles, prob would of got my dual in dual out 50 series, and had the same problem everyone else is having. Thanks for posting the clip. Gino

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
BlownBayou said:
I can honestly say I started the one chamber craze :rockon:

Check my sig for the sound clip and you will be sold!!!!!!

Later

I agree your truck sounds Great with the setup you are running. Have not heard another L with Flows that sound as good as yours does.

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
Hey BlownBayou you still have that clip where the exhaust is stock except for the flows? Id like to compare it to what mine sounds like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread