Flowmaster Hushpower axle-back installed

FWP!

Established Member
I had been deciding between the Roush, Bassani, Hushpower, Borla, FRPP and Magnaflow axle-backs and decided on the Hushpower's. Why? I was 50/50 between the flo's and the bassani's but went with the flo's because I found out they're 409 stainless. Plus they're $150 less. Got them for $412 shipped.

The sound - incredible. The videos on youtube REALLY do not do it any justice. I love the sound from inside the car. People have mentioned drone, but here's the thing. If it does it at all, it's between 1900 and 2000 rpm, plus it's maybe 10-20% louder than normal so it's almost un-noticeable. It's a non-issue to me, and I'm usually a huge critic of droning (been putting exhaust systems on my cars for about 15 years now). But it's got a great, deep, throaty tone, sounds fantastic from inside the cabin. With the windows down it reminds me of what my old '00 GT with a Magnaflow cat-back sounded like going under a bridge.

The fit/finish was perfect. Took me literally under a half hour to do the whole thing and that included using the car's scissor jack to get the car up off the ground a little, and the only tool I used was a 13mm socket wrench.

So after all the decision making I did, I'm really happy with what I chose.

oneof185

Established Member
The fit/finish was perfect. Took me literally under a half hour to do the whole thing and that included using the car's scissor jack to get the car up off the ground a little, and the only tool I used was a 13mm socket wrench.

I assume 1/2 hour to put them in, not take your old off too. I am an idiot :lol1:I'll admit, but it took me forever to get 1 muffler off. I could not get to the bolt to drop the front hanger :bash:
I have yet to order and put any back on yet, as it is sitting up on blocks etc in storage. I too didn't have a ton of room to get to it, but it wasn't as easy as I expected.

slyguy

Established Member
I had been deciding between the Roush, Bassani, Hushpower, Borla, FRPP and Magnaflow axle-backs and decided on the Hushpower's. Why? I was 50/50 between the flo's and the bassani's but went with the flo's because I found out they're 409 stainless. Plus they're $150 less. Got them for $412 shipped.

The sound - incredible. The videos on youtube REALLY do not do it any justice. I love the sound from inside the car. People have mentioned drone, but here's the thing. If it does it at all, it's between 1900 and 2000 rpm, plus it's maybe 10-20% louder than normal so it's almost un-noticeable. It's a non-issue to me, and I'm usually a huge critic of droning (been putting exhaust systems on my cars for about 15 years now). But it's got a great, deep, throaty tone, sounds fantastic from inside the cabin. With the windows down it reminds me of what my old '00 GT with a Magnaflow cat-back sounded like going under a bridge.

So after all the decision making I did, I'm really happy with what I chose.

I love the sound too, but I had to take mine off because of the drone.

I have a convertible with 3:31 gears, what do you have?

I'm trying to figure out why some of us have a bad drone, and others only a minor drone or none at all.

I have the Roushes on mine now, but I want the HPs back on becasue they sound so good...

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Looking forward to what this will sound like with the offroad H-pipe that Lethal just released!!! VROOM VROOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member

I'm trying to figure out why some of us have a bad drone, and others only a minor drone or none at all.

I have the Roushes on mine now, but I want the HPs back on becasue they sound so good...

im selling mine very cheap

warlockgs

Established Member
Video quality issues notwithstanding, here's mine with the before/after.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jALDhsr3XOU"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang 5.0 w/ Flowmaster HushPower Axle Backs[/nomedia]

ETA: I love the new sound, much deeper tone that is felt rather than heard, especially on cold startup. The under-load sound is great and racy. I haven't really noticed a serious amount of drone which surprised me.

Last edited:

cobra1718

Established Member
I love mine as well. I guess I am different than most I kinda like the drone when the car is pulling. And as stated above the drone really is not that loud

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
Video quality issues notwithstanding, here's mine with the before/after.

YouTube - 2011 Mustang 5.0 w/ Flowmaster HushPower Axle Backs

ETA: I love the new sound, much deeper tone that is felt rather than heard, especially on cold startup. The under-load sound is great and racy. I haven't really noticed a serious amount of drone which surprised me.
that sounds incredible, is that just swapping out axelbacks or do you also have an upgraded mid pipe? that sounds really good if its all stock into the hushpowers, im putting mine on Saturday morning and I already have a lethal 3" ORX on the car, im thinking its gonna be really loud but i still have the factory resonators on so hopefully those tame it down from what it really could be without resonators....

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
that sounds incredible, is that just swapping out axelbacks or do you also have an upgraded mid pipe? that sounds really good if its all stock into the hushpowers, im putting mine on Saturday morning and I already have a lethal 3" ORX on the car, im thinking its gonna be really loud but i still have the factory resonators on so hopefully those tame it down from what it really could be without resonators....

Here is a video of my car with the same setup as you will have.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv_Lh89lvgw"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang 5.0 Hushpower Axle back[/nomedia]

AmnDucky

Established Member

I think everyone has the same drone, some people just handle it better.

slyguy

Established Member
I think everyone has the same drone, some people just handle it better.

Maybe, but I'd be surprised they'd sell any of them if they all sound like mine do.

I'm going to try to capture it in a video this weekend and post it up.

I still say it has to be due to some difference in the car - convert vs coupe, rear gears - 3:31 vs 3:73, spare tire and jack vs air pump, etc...

Don't get me wrong - I don't mind a little bit of drone - I'm not whining about what most of us have come to expect with the flows.

Having said that, what I'm experiencing is way over the top.

I've even got some drone at times with the Roushes, when almost nobody else does. Not much, and certainly livable, but it is there.

So I've put 2 exhausts on and had the problem with both.

Has to be something with the car...

Last edited:

warlockgs

Established Member

That is just the axle-back. Still have the stock everything-else. It sounds awesome, without getting my neighbors to file noise complaints on me as long as I keep it under 3000rpm in the neighborhood.

Users who are viewing this thread