Florida roadside emergency vehicle law?

qkslvr221

Established Member
Another question for the Florida LEO's, a co-worker of mine was recently pulled over by a normal sheriff (not FHP). This sheriff had just finished conducting a traffic stop, and upon finishing pulled my co-worker over telling him that the law requires everyone to go 10mph under the speed limit and pull to the furthest lane away from the "emergency vehicle". I have never in my life heard of this law, but woud appreciate if someone could chime in with the specifics.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
Not sure of the specifics, but I know you are required to slow down when passing in those situations in Florida now. Haven't read anything about moving over a lane, although I do if there's room.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
qkslvr221 said:
Another question for the Florida LEO's, a co-worker of mine was recently pulled over by a normal sheriff (not FHP). This sheriff had just finished conducting a traffic stop, and upon finishing pulled my co-worker over telling him that the law requires everyone to go 10mph under the speed limit and pull to the furthest lane away from the "emergency vehicle". I have never in my life heard of this law, but woud appreciate if someone could chime in with the specifics.

Florida Law requires drivers to change lanes and give the L.E.O. the lane next to shoulder when on a highway. If they can not safely make the lane change they are required to slow well below the speed limits.

This went into effect this year.

oldmodman

Established Member
If a law like that was passed here in California it would cause tens of thousands of accidents in the first year alone.

Imagine that it's 4:30pm on a Monday, your on the 405 north at Wilshire. There is a CHP on the shoulder with a Prius that he stopped for...(couldn't be speeding since nobody can go over 25mph). Now the 18,000 cars that are bumper to bumper in the slow lane have to try and merge into the next lane over. The freeway would be stopped back into Orange County!

FranticFocus05

Established Member
oldmodman said:
If a law like that was passed here in California it would cause tens of thousands of accidents in the first year alone.

Imagine that it's 4:30pm on a Monday, your on the 405 north at Wilshire. There is a CHP on the shoulder with a Prius that he stopped for...(couldn't be speeding since nobody can go over 25mph). Now the 18,000 cars that are bumper to bumper in the slow lane have to try and merge into the next lane over. The freeway would be stopped back into Orange County!

You must not of read everything....

FordSVTFan said:
Florida Law requires drivers to change lanes and give the L.E.O. the lane next to shoulder when on a highway. If they can not safely make the lane change they are required to slow well below the speed limits.

Using your head you can figure out if there bumper to bumper then there not going anywhere near the speed limit on the highway but probably no more then 35 there for being much below the speed limit like fordsvtfan said...

oldmodman

Established Member
FranticFocus05 said:
Using your head you can figure out if there bumper to bumper then there not going anywhere near the speed limit on the highway but probably no more then 35 there for being much below the speed limit like fordsvtfan said...

Humor:

It's no longer a required course at most colleges.:dw:

I guess that my generation used it all up in the sixties and seventies.:D

thubigdawg

GO CANES!!!
Established Member
qkslvr221 said:

I've read about this before about a year ago. Only thing I didn't know was to move to the farthest lane away. But I did read that you do have to slow down when passing an emergency vehicle.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
oldmodman said:

Imagine that is 430 anywhere and someone does use not use common sense to slow down or move over if possible[for any emergency vehicle] and that driver is amazed[tunnel vision on the lights or not watching the other cars] then plows into the back of that emergency vehicle killing or seriously hurting themseleves,the emergency worker and the driver stopped[i.e. a wreck or car fire]Its for all emergency vehicles.Why do drivers think they need to go the speed limit and buzz the leo/emergency worker when all they have to do is move over a lane or slow down enough that IF something did happen they could react?Its been proven and especially here in NC,several leo,s and emergency workers have been hit/killed by not moving over.Thats the purpose of the law.

thubigdawg

GO CANES!!!
Established Member
oldmodman said:

You don't have to move over to the next lane unless it is possible, if it is not possible you are required to slow down. This 'law' would have to be pointless during rush hour since traffic is about 15mph on the highway. Other than that ... it should be common sense to move over AND slow down when passing a LEO while his lights are on.

I can't imagine how it feels to pull someone over on the highway, back to traffic, cars going 65+ mph. Scary stuff

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
why is it a law.. that's just common sense, give the emergency vehicle, car pulled over, someone walking or riding a bike plenty of room and slow down as you go past them.. guess that the loss of common sense has been replaced by laws..

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Silver2003Cobra said:
why is it a law.. that's just common sense, give the emergency vehicle, car pulled over, someone walking or riding a bike plenty of room and slow down as you go past them.. guess that the loss of common sense has been replaced by laws..

In Florida most drivers dont use common sense.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:

Same thing in North Carolina and they do enforce it. Its been on the books for about 2 or 3 years. I usually try to move over for anybody sitting on the side of the road, however. If I'm running 75-80 mph, its just a courteous thing to do, because you really don't know what kind of debris you could kick up running at interstate speed. Plus, some people don't think. They might step out too far into traffic, try to run across the road or even have their kids standing out beside the car.

One morning I was running up I-95 and in the southbound lane a hispanic woman had broken down in the narrow median up against the guard rail and had what looked to be a 5 year old standing between the guardrail and her car with traffic! She was on her cell phone and hardly wasn't even paying any attention to the kid. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread