Florida muffler laws?

qkslvr221

Established Member
This is mostly directed towards FordSVTFan, but I appreciate any feedback. I have a buddy with a 95 GT and dumped flowmaster super 40's. He was pulled over for having illegal "modified mufflers" and was told that they were too loud. I would like to know what the law says about aftermarket catbacks, as well as putting dumps/turndowns on the mufflers.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
I think more relevant than the issue of how the muffler is physically modified is the noise level. (dumps, what not) You could have 2 mufflers on each pipe, and if the officer believed the car was loud enough to disturb the peace he could still issue you a citation for it.

If you think it is too loud, then very likely the law here in florida does too.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
qkslvr221 said:
This is mostly directed towards FordSVTFan, but I appreciate any feedback. I have a buddy with a 95 GT and dumped flowmaster super 40's. He was pulled over for having illegal "modified mufflers" and was told that they were too loud. I would like to know what the law says about aftermarket catbacks, as well as putting dumps/turndowns on the mufflers.

I think you already have a good idea what the law says.

316.272. Exhaust systems said:
(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation, including muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise. In no event shall an exhaust system allow noise at a level which exceeds a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.061(11) in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.

Therefore, you must have a complete exhaust system that does not create excessive noise and there is no cutout or bypass, etc.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
I run an open Borla,& have driven OPEN header for brief periods of time,
No one ever gave me shit.
& I'm by no means the loudest car within my little social circle.
I got more trouble in Maine..go figure.
Now this doesn't adress the issue of what the law is here..It seems that the local LEOS have bigger fish to fry.

Last edited:

qkslvr221

Established Member
So, being that the Flowmaster mufflers aren't exactly cherry-bombs, should he be ok if he got the backpiping? I'm positive every other part of the exhaust is untouched.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
qkslvr221 said:
So, being that the Flowmaster mufflers aren't exactly cherry-bombs, should he be ok if he got the backpiping? I'm positive every other part of the exhaust is untouched.

There is no way to tell once the exhaust is modified from stock. If he has all the exhaust components listed under the Fla. Statute and he doesnt exceed the decibel limit, he should be okay.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
FordSVTFan said:
There is no way to tell once the exhaust is modified from stock. If he has all the exhaust components listed under the Fla. Statute and he doesnt exceed the decibel limit, he should be okay.

what is the decibel limit here in Fla?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
9A Pilot said:
I run an open Borla,& have driven OPEN header for brief periods of time,
No one ever gave me shit.
& I'm by no means the loudest car within my little social circle.
I got more trouble in Maine..go figure.
Now this doesn't adress the issue of what the law is here..It seems that the local LEOS have bigger fish to fry.

Nobody with an lS1 and a cutout or true-duals I know in FL ever gets shit from cops.

Wildpony

Established Member
I would like to know why bikers seem to me ,get to have a way more louder or annoying (bike type depending), sound? Seems like 2 standards.
Noise is noise and regardless of exhaust pipe lengths -cars vs bikes, one limit should be the same for all .

qkslvr221

Established Member
Yes, and I would kiss the ground Mr. Crist walks on if he passed a law ticketing those ridiculous 4 inch fart-cans.

04spinbra

Established Member
exhaust in fl

ive been told by the cops that if you change anything from stock in fl its illegal but ive never been messed:lol: knock on the wood:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread