Florida Help

Mac25

Established Member
Have a couple questions for u Florida LEO's. I was in the military as a MP and came back to FL. (contract is complete) I completed a course at a local academy and passed the State exam. Now I am looking at local depts. and wondering what to look for in a dept. Most if them look like they have ok benefits but never working in a civilian PD I really don’t know what to look for. Any help would be appreciated.

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Find a department that you like, in an area that you want to live in for the next 25 years. Obviously pay is important. How much you contribute in the pension. etc. I think if you are more specific with the area you are looking at you will get better advice. (Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville)

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
TPD and Hillsborough County are hiring, but they are looking for mostly people with previous L.E. experience.

TPD has twenty year retirement while Hillsborough uses the state 25 yr program. I prefer the people over a Hillsborough Cty S.O. over TPD.

Good Luck

Mac25

Established Member
That's what I was looking at retirement, insurance, and the "union". Anything I should look for in these areas? Thanks

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Why dont you give us an idea what part of Florida you are looking at. Maybe someone with some local knowledge can help.

Mac25

Established Member
I am looking in the Brevard area first and the surrounding areas. I thought about calling your dept back FLawD but I want to stay on the east coast for now.

Scott_98us@yaho

I have a friend who works for Melbourne PD and he loves it. He has been there 2 years and just made Corporal/FTO. Plenty of action, pay is average.

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Mac25 said:
I am looking in the Brevard area first and the surrounding areas. I thought about calling your dept back FLawD but I want to stay on the east coast for now.
Oh yeah, was it you that I was interacting with through PMs a couple months back?

goalguy02

Established Member
If you are still interested, There are many places in SW fla that are hiring.

Lee and Collier county both. If you are state certified than its even better. No unions here, great health plans and awesome retirement. Email me if you're interested in Collier and I can try to hook you up.

Justin R

Dauntless
Established Member
I'm recently state certified as well. I looked at Collier Co but I'm not going to work corrections before being allowed on the road. I understand that you gain experience blah blah blah but there is no way. We used to eat at the Co jail for lunch during the academy b/c it was nextdoor.... I hated going in there

Down here in SE Fl just about all depts are hiring. The only problem is the housing prices.

Mac25

Established Member
I use to live down there when I was younger.....needless to say I am going to try for a job up here. Thanks though...at least for right now. I do have an interview with an oral board. Never been to one so any recommendations?

Good luck to u Justin!

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Mac25 said:
I use to live down there when I was younger.....needless to say I am going to try for a job up here. Thanks though...at least for right now. I do have an interview with an oral board. Never been to one so any recommendations?

Good luck to u Justin!
Oral board advice; 1. Have knowledge of the city/county you are applying for. 2. Have knowledge of the agency, ie. how large, population, chief or sheriff, because they will ask "what do you know about our department and why do you want to work here." Be prepared to answer that one. Do some ride alongs if possible before your oral boards. 3. Professional appearance, fresh haircut (not fresh like kid n play), wear a suit,and shave. 4. yes sir, no sir. These are the 5 people who will decide your hiring or not, kiss their butts for 30 minutes. Prepare answers ahead of time and study them so when the questions are asked you dont fumble for words.

Possible questions,
1. What have you done to prepare for a career in law enforcement.
2. Why should we hire you.
3. If we hire you how long will you stay at our agency. Answer "until I retire" no other answer is going to sound good.
4. How often do you drink, and what kind of drugs have you done?
5. Have you ever been involved in a physical altercation? Hint, "no" is not a good answer.
6. What do you know about our agency and our community? Hint, the more you know the better.
7. The first question will probably be "tell us about yourself." This is your opportunity to sell yourself, take it. A little tip, talk about yourself until the person in charge stops you. I was born in blah blah blah, fifteen minutes later blah blah blah, and that is why I want to be a police officer here in Brevard County.

When you enter the room it will be scary at first. Introduce yourself and if each person offers the opportunity, shake their hands and greet them. Then sit down. TAKE THE PALMS OF YOUR HANDS AND PLACE THEM ON YOUR THIGHS JUST ABOVE YOUR KNEES, AND LEAVE THEM THERE!! It looks more professional and will keep you from the nervous habit of talking with your hands, which is unproffessional.

When it is done, thank everyone for the opportunity. The more prepared you are the less scary it will be. Write these questions down and have some of your friends sit in chairs and ask them to you. Then answer with your answers that you have memorized. It will seem goofy but it will pay off.
Once again, good luck, Sean

Oh, I forgot, when you start to answer a question, look at the person who asked it, but as you answer for a few seconds start to move down the line as if you are answering the question to each person in the room.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Floridalawdog said:
Oral board advice; 1. Have knowledge of the city/county you are applying for. 2. Have knowledge of the agency, ie. how large, population, chief or sheriff, because they will ask "what do you know about our department and why do you want to work here." Be prepared to answer that one. Do some ride alongs if possible before your oral boards. 3. Professional appearance, fresh haircut (not fresh like kid n play), wear a suit,and shave. 4. yes sir, no sir. These are the 5 people who will decide your hiring or not, kiss their butts for 30 minutes. Prepare answers ahead of time and study them so when the questions are asked you dont fumble for words.

Possible questions,
1. What have you done to prepare for a career in law enforcement.
2. Why should we hire you.
3. If we hire you how long will you stay at our agency. Answer "until I retire" no other answer is going to sound good.
4. How often do you drink, and what kind of drugs have you done?
5. Have you ever been involved in a physical altercation? Hint, "no" is not a good answer.
6. What do you know about our agency and our community? Hint, the more you know the better.
7. The first question will probably be "tell us about yourself." This is your opportunity to sell yourself, take it. A little tip, talk about yourself until the person in charge stops you. I was born in blah blah blah, fifteen minutes later blah blah blah, and that is why I want to be a police officer here in Brevard County.

When you enter the room it will be scary at first. Introduce yourself and if each person offers the opportunity, shake their hands and greet them. Then sit down. TAKE THE PALMS OF YOUR HANDS AND PLACE THEM ON YOUR THIGHS JUST ABOVE YOUR KNEES, AND LEAVE THEM THERE!! It looks more professional and will keep you from the nervous habit of talking with your hands, which is unproffessional.

When it is done, thank everyone for the opportunity. The more prepared you are the less scary it will be. Write these questions down and have some of your friends sit in chairs and ask them to you. Then answer with your answers that you have memorized. It will seem goofy but it will pay off.
Once again, good luck, Sean

He hit it right on the head!

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
TPD has twenty year retirement while Hillsborough uses the state 25 yr program. I prefer the people over a Hillsborough Cty S.O. over TPD.
Good Luck

Don't most PD's have 20 and outs? Thats one of my only complaints with the county, that we are on a 25 YR plan :bash: But, from what I have heard we may be changing to a 20 and out. That would be awsome! :D

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
Mac25 said:

Good luck to u Justin!

Good luck with your interview!! :beer:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
stangd1909 said:
Don't most PD's have 20 and outs? Thats one of my only complaints with the county, that we are on a 25 YR plan :bash: But, from what I have heard we may be changing to a 20 and out. That would be awsome! :D

No, most are 25 yr as they buy into the state retirement plan which is 25 yrs.

The Federal Govt we are 20 and out at 80%:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread