Florida child strangled by Python

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
EDIT WITH AN UPDATE:

Scanned picture of St. Petersburg Times front page:

http://www.tampabay.com/specials/publication/Times_1A/20090702.pdf

Snake is not a 12 footer as mentioned below in the article, but 8'6" long at approximately 15 to 20 pounds.

Nonetheless, 12 footer or not, this is still a tragic story with a 2 year old girl now deceased due to what I feel is some serious stupidity in the household. One of FORDSVTFAN's quotes in his signature is this: "Being stupid should hurt", and parents' apparent stupidity killed an innocent child in this case! Unsecured terrarium for a predatory animal or reptile with a young child in the home?! :nonono::poke:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:nonono::nonono::nonono:

Florida child strangled by Python - Bay News 9

Copy and paste of the article:

Florida child strangled by Python

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A two-year-old girl was strangled by a python at her family's home in Oxford.

Shaiunna Hare died in her home in Oxford, just off of County Road 466, east of The Villages.

The snake was a 12-foot long albino Burmese python and was a family pet.

According to Lt. Joy Hill with Florida Fish and Wildlife, Charles Darnell, the boyfriend of the child's mother, Jaren Hare, put the python away in an aquarium and when he woke up around 9 a.m., he found the aquarium was empty. He ran to Shaiunna's bedroom and found the snake on top of the her.

Darnell said he had to stab the snake to get it off Shaiunna, and he said he noticed a bite mark on the her head.

The Sumter County Sheriff's Office and Florida Fish and Wildlife responded to the scene and are investigating the circumstances surrounding the child's death. There were other children in the home.

Hill said that the snake is not venomous, it is a constrictor, meaning it suffocates its victims.

Whit Gibbons, a professor of ecology at the University of Georgia, told the Associated Press that "A human is just another prey item to a python -- especially a small human.

"A 20-foot python, if it grabbed one of us, would bite us and then within just, instantly, seconds, it would be wrapped all the way around you and squeezing the life out of you," Gibbons said.

Oxford is northwest of Leesburg.

Last edited by a moderator:

juliet2kg

Established Member
:nonono:

That's why you're supposed to have a permit to own one of those.

stangliter04

Established Member
Very sad... my daughter is 2 1/2... I actually own a red tail boa that will get to be around 12 foot but he's only a little guy now.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
That's just terrible. I can't even imagine what that poor girl went through as that snake straggled the life out of her.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
"According to Lt. Joy Hill with Florida Fish and Wildlife, Charles Darnell, the boyfriend of the child's mother, Jaren Hare, put the python away in an aquarium and when he woke up around 9 a.m., he found the aquarium was empty. He ran to Shaiunna's bedroom and found the snake on top of the her."

Sounds kind of odd. Did the snake normally go to her room:dw:

Rotarded

Brap
Established Member
That's just terrible. I can't even imagine what that poor girl went through as that snake straggled the life out of her.

Yea, thats really gotta suck. I saw on a TV show once, that when they wrap around you, they will squeeze, then when you exhale, the squeeze gets tighter and tighter, until you cant expand you chest enough to breathe. Thats got to be a terrible way to die.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
:nonono:

That's why you're supposed to have a permit to own one of those.

I dont think you need a permit for a python.

But tragic none the less. I dont think anyone is sane when they acquire a serpent as a pet. Especially when children are present.

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
I dont think anyone is sane when they acquire a serpent as a pet. Especially when children are present.

+1. I can't see owning a snake that big no matter what the circumstance, but then again I hate snakes lol. Not trying to offend anyone with snakes but damn that is a big snake to have as a "family pet."

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
"According to Lt. Joy Hill with Florida Fish and Wildlife, Charles Darnell, the boyfriend of the child's mother, Jaren Hare, put the python away in an aquarium and when he woke up around 9 a.m., he found the aquarium was empty. He ran to Shaiunna's bedroom and found the snake on top of the her."

If you discovered a 12 foot python missing from an aquarium, wouldn't you check on your kids first?

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Those damn things are getting closer and closer to NE Florida.......

Wasn't that long ago you only heard about them in the glades.......:(

Won't be too long before the back half of my property (river swamp on the little St. Mary's) turns into prime python habitat.......

I will without a doubt shat myself the first time I happen across a 12' snake in my woods.....

Sucks for the family......

eidt - I'm a idiot....just realized this was a pet....not a wild snake.......no more posting after drinks for me....

Last edited:

JWSnake

Established Member

RIGHT! Was thinking along these same lines. Terribly tragic. :nonono:

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
That's awful. I hate snakes and will never own one.

I can't believe people want to keep a 12 foot Python as a Family Pet....

What happened to a good ol' dog?

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
That's awful. I hate snakes and will never own one.

I can't believe people want to keep a 12 foot Python as a Family Pet....

What happened to a good ol' dog?

There is nothing wrong with keeping any kind of animal as a pet if you are fully aware of the consequences. A 12' python is a bit ridiculous in certain settings. I know people who keep big snakes in ridiculously small areas and they are just asking for trouble. When I was younger I kept a baby Cayman, thanks to a family friend who ran the alligator farm in MB. It was a perfectly normal pet and never once tried to bite me... as opposed to the guinea pig now that wants to bite me every time I stick my hand near the cage. I guess my point is, you need to have a plan for when the animal gets out of 'pet' size range. The cayman I had was taken to the alligator adventure place in MB at 36" where I'm assuming it probably still is today. There is no way I'd ever keep a 6' animal (much less 12') of any kind in a house with a child.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Sounds kind of odd. Did the snake normally go to her room :dw:

It is not really odd if you think about it, because snakes are predators by nature. Do you think this snake saw the child as a best friend or play mate rather than some possible food? It could be that this snake has not been fed in a while, so it was hungry for something when it escaped. The child asleep in her crib proved to be the easiest prey in the home.

03DOHC

Established Member
Being stupid does hurt.........other people. Unfortunately, being stupid isn't against the law.

Users who are viewing this thread