Flooded home - FEMA Disaster Relief tips?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Just because FEMA won't help you doesn't mean there won't be private assistance available. Do some research and you might be able to find someone offering grants or some sort of financial help.

MG0h3

Established Member
Keep track of all your expenses. You will likely be in line for a huge tax deduction. At least uninsured loss is deductible. Perhaps even loss of rental income. Talk to your tax professional.

You don't actually claim loss of income, but you still have all the expenses without any income so basically the same thing.

You can only "lose" (deduct) 25k a year on rentals. You can however carry that over year over year until your recapture everything. I do it all on turbo tax but ya if you don't have much experience with it just keep all the receipts, mileage log, etc.

verbal

Established Member
Sorry this happened to you. As mentioned, get in there as soon as you can and gut it. I am going to guess you are going to have a hard time finding services or equipment to dry the place out with all the other flood victims looking for the same thing.

If you can't find dehumidification equipment I would just keep all the doors and windows open as long as you can and use fans to circulate air.

If it were me I would probably gut everything to the studs that got wet including cabinets, linoleum, and hardwood. Tile flooring can even trap water underneath it. It sounds like you can save cabinets but I can't imagine what that amount of water does to particle board. Hardwood floors will most likely cup when they dry out. You should also check with an electrician. I know that salt water from Hurricane Sandy ruined wiring and electrical components.

Good luck with everything. Maybe some SVT brothers from TX can lend you a hand.

verbal

Established Member
Also, the home stores sell spray solutions like Mold Away that you can put into a large spray canister. I would spray everything down with that when everything is dried out and you are ready for reconstruction.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Thanks guys, just got word from neighbors that the roads are passable now, packing up tools and heading over. I'll rip carpet/padding out plus the wood laminate in the office and start cutting drywall at the 24" mark. I have ceramic tile in the kitchen, dining room, bathrooms, and front entry, does that need to come up as well?

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I've been hearing from other people to use OdoBan, I'll try my luck at HD or Lowes if they're open yet.

verbal

Established Member
Thanks guys, just got word from neighbors that the roads are passable now, packing up tools and heading over. I'll rip carpet/padding out plus the wood laminate in the office and start cutting drywall at the 24" mark. I have ceramic tile in the kitchen, dining room, bathrooms, and front entry, does that need to come up as well?

I would take the wall tile out. There is most likely water/moisture trapped in the wall cavity. There is probably insulation that is wet also. Not sure about the floors.

I have not heard of OdoBan. When I had a mold problem myself, I did some research and the advice was to get a product with concrobium in it. Sorry, the product I used was called Mold Control.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
I hope you have a generator and gas to take with you. Lighting , fans and load up on peroxide and vinegar to spray wet areas to kill mold. Probably cut drywall at the 48" mark to avoid having to cut twice. Cabinets and vanities and outlets will likely have to go as well. Heat / ac units affected? Good luck brother I wish I was there to help you.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
So important to cut drywall and pull insulation ASAP. Any male and most females can do this. As stated, get wet and damp carpet out of the house, even better get rid of it all. Mold is your worst enemy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightningLou

Established Member
As was said, mold is the biggest concern as everything is still damp, so go grab lots of beer and get to work ASAP. Pry out all baseboards first and cut drywall out with a zip saw at least 6-10" above the water line. Rip up all flooring that can absorb moisture minus non-porous ceramic tile and what not. Go rent a few LGR dehumidifiers depending on square footage and a bunch of axial fans that you can aim up into the wood framing to dry that out after cutting all the affected dry wall out of the house. If you need anymore help just PM me as I have worked in the remediation business before. This may seem like a lot of work, but once you get rolling you'll knock this out quicker than you might think. Good luck and hang in there man.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I have many years remediation experience as well , and unfortunatly since the subfloors have been wet , the tile will have to come out for the underlayment to dry , so if you can get fans under the house in the crawl space , that is going to be a huge benifit as well .

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I have many years remediation experience as well , and unfortunatly since the subfloors have been wet , the tile will have to come out for the underlayment to dry , so if you can get fans under the house in the crawl space , that is going to be a huge benifit as well .

Concrete slab foundation, no subfloors or crawl space, ceramic tile is laid directly on concrete.

Thanks again for the tips everyone, got all the carpet, padding, wood laminate, and wet furniture pulled out of the house and floors mopped up. Tomorrow will be cutting drywall and pulling insulation. I have fans and a dehumidifier plus the house ac running. Water marks were 6" in the house and 11" in the garage, luckily my house sits a little higher than the neighbors. I was going to do 24" cuts so a sheet of drywall lasts me twice as long. Is 48 really necessary?

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I hope you have a generator and gas to take with you. Lighting , fans and load up on peroxide and vinegar to spray wet areas to kill mold. Probably cut drywall at the 48" mark to avoid having to cut twice. Cabinets and vanities and outlets will likely have to go as well. Heat / ac units affected? Good luck brother I wish I was there to help you.

House never lost power thankfully, neighbors across the street did. Every house in the neighborhood flooded.

Users who are viewing this thread