flood cars

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Not true at all, I have a 2014 gt that was "flooded" to the wheels and I have not had a single issue, my brother has one that was flooded higher than the dash and he has put over 70k miles on it and never had one issue, that is after he replaced the motor, and no rust, but needed new seats and carpet
and there is no mold or anything under the dash, even had it tested

That's good your cars are still operable, but that isn't the norm. We have had multiple floods here over the past several years and it ruined a lot of vehicles. I flooded my parents jeep in a creek once and work with a guy who had his late 90's Chevy truck flood. Both are on the road today. My comment was about most newer cars being flooded. There are always exceptions but we have salvage yards full of flood vehicles around here that will never be driven again. Water gets in the dash and it's not going to be a good prognosis.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I've had several over the years and all were just as good and reliable as any other vehicle I owned. Most depend on who fixed it and of course fresh water not salt water.
"Newer" cars makes no difference. If anything they are better because connections are sealed better. Cars have been EFI and computerized since 1986

Laws have made it harder for them to get back on the street but it still happens.

coposrv

Established Member
Not true at all, I have a 2014 gt that was "flooded" to the wheels and I have not had a single issue, my brother has one that was flooded higher than the dash and he has put over 70k miles on it and never had one issue, that is after he replaced the motor, and no rust, but needed new seats and carpet
and there is no mold or anything under the dash, even had it tested

as I mentioned I picked one up for a reasonable price and never had an issue and just got back from a cross country road trip ( did a loop across the us)
got the car with 18k miles and now have over 34k and not one issue

maybe true in some cases but we have 2 cars that were flooded and fixed without any cutting corners, no issues and no smell or mold or electrical issues

that part is true, that being said there are ways around it, I personally will never have it removed from my Carfax because I would want people to always know, its one thing to save a little cash but its another to cover up

perhaps in some states maybe, but from LA and FL and TX
in our experience we had no issues getting it titled, that is after you go through the salvage inspection, with the state police then a regular inspection at a shop

What did you guy pay for the cars if you don't mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black2010

Established Member
These flood cars can be shipped from Texas and from Florida, you would never know it was in a flood. Due diligence, be smart and get history of car (previous ownership). Even then I would inspect like crazy. Damn, would love to find a flood ACR.

I know theirs at least a couple coming out of Houston. If you are serious I would give Viper Exchange a call. They are close to Houston and i believe the owners of the cars are working with them and the insurance adjusters to see if they can be fixed or totaled (some had very little water where others were worse). if they total them out I they may be willing to contact you to buy them after the owner does the buy back.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
You can "clean" the title by registering it in certain states, then re-registering it in your home state. I can't remember off the top of my head which states it works in.

I think new hampshire is one

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Unless your buying to turn it into a race car, my professional advice is to WALK AWAY from a flood damage car. SOME may be brought back to operation life and experience no problems to very minor problems. Majority (vast majority) are junk.

The issue is the long term health of the safety systems. Namely, the air bags and ABS systems. Harnesses do NOT play well submerged unless they are specifically designed to work under water or have been modified to resist water intrusion.

Ive seen quite a few cars that were water damaged and they were never the same.

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
What did you guy pay for the cars if you don't mind?
I paid 8k for the car, but it needed a motor and I replaced a few things that add up, and added a blower, I'm making a post about the car currently check it out! my brother paid 4k for his but he got super lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think new hampshire is one
I somehow got a clean title for mine, it was from texas but it was signed off to co part before I got it, so I tagged it in Maryland after everything was done and a state police inspection then I had to undergo two more inspections from a shop and a dealer

Unless your buying to turn it into a race car, my professional advice is to WALK AWAY from a flood damage car. SOME may be brought back to operation life and experience no problems to very minor problems. Majority (vast majority) are junk.

The issue is the long term health of the safety systems. Namely, the air bags and ABS systems. Harnesses do NOT play well submerged unless they are specifically designed to work under water or have been modified to resist water intrusion.

Ive seen quite a few cars that were water damaged and they were never the same.

I agree and disagree, if someone wants to do a flood car they need to be extremely careful, do research and be prepared to buy everything needed
I had amazing luck, car was tested for mold and it was negative, no rust and or anything, I ended up putting a new harness in my car because I have another 5.0 (turbo boss 302) its more of a track car but I was going auto and I needed the auto harness, I was on a time crunch to get the car done for tx2k, so I pulled the harness from the flood car and put on the boss. I never had any issues with either one of the cars, but I would think its possible. all in all I have seen a ton of these 5.0's that have been restored between the folks I know if done right there will not be any issues

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
You certainly did get lucky, and im happy it worked for you.

That said ive had cars with improperly sealed windshields that caused $3500 in damage.

Its misleading though to characterise your good experience with every flood car. Unless someone REALLY knows what they are getting into, walk away.

4a7191a

Established Member
From what I was told yesterday was they're sopposed to be crushed if flood claimed in my area. Bacteria was way too high in the water to be salvaged.
Bud of mine won't make a claim on his rx7 that was over the roof in water , due to this. No buy back. I'm sure each company is slightly different.
He already has it running , had to reverse the starter somehow to throw water out of the intake. What's funny is his 1983 Corolla... 4 feet of water , drained water from engine. Fired right up. Clock and radio still work. I was stoked on how tough that thing is.

Users who are viewing this thread