Flat top piston /w agressive cam questions

SVTeeshirt

Established Member
So, what do you do? You have flat pistons with no valve relifs and want to run an agressive set of cams, is your only option notching the pistons? Does this affect compression? How much is this typically?

Thanks.

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
I had comp cams 106400's (next to biggest off the shelf grind comp offers) with un-notched flat top pistons roughly 11:1 compression. It's all in how they are degreeed

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Usually the 4.6 (non stroker) will not require notches, the strokers however do due to the increased dwell time at TDC/BDC , it is always good practice to check this however and something like our solid lifter is perfect for that. The notches (when needed are only 2-3cc max)

If you need them notched let us know, we offer in house CNC machined notches for $150 (2v, 3v or 4v) on all brand of pistons , new or used.

MMR

MMR%20Domination%20ad.JPG

SVTeeshirt

Established Member
I had comp cams 106400's (next to biggest off the shelf grind comp offers) with un-notched flat top pistons roughly 11:1 compression. It's all in how they are degreeed

Good to know, thanks.

Usually the 4.6 (non stroker) will not require notches, the strokers however do due to the increased dwell time at TDC/BDC , it is always good practice to check this however and something like our solid lifter is perfect for that. The notches (when needed are only 2-3cc max)

If you need them notched let us know, we offer in house CNC machined notches for $150 (2v, 3v or 4v) on all brand of pistons , new or used.

MMR

MMR%20Domination%20ad.JPG

In that case i will not need notched pistons, Thanks for the information though, thats good to know and not a bad price on it.

Users who are viewing this thread