Flat tire = $300

FL Cobra03

Established Member
On my drive home last night I started hearing a clanking noise coming from my trunk. I figured it was just something made of metal moving around in the trunk. But as I was turning into my driveway I heard my rear tire making a noise. Got out - Great!! a flat tire! I attempted to pump it up, but the air was escaping just as fast as it entered. I mounted the spare. ( I think the car was a little embarrased to have the donut on). So I figured I would stop by Goodyear in the morning.

Well I got up early, Stopped by the local Goodyear store. Guess what, a full size screwdriver (minus the grip) was inside my tire. It had made a nice 2" slice. So luckily Goodyear had the matching tire in stock. So $277 for the tire + balancing, disposal, tax. etc. it came to $308.00 . I was expecting to pay about that much for the tires. I just wasn't quite ready to spend it after 3900 miles. Oh well - Life goes on.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
That sucks...Don't the tires have a road hazzard warranty on them from Ford/Goodyear :shrug:

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
Originally posted by T&J's Blk03
That sucks...Don't the tires have a road hazzard warranty on them from Ford/Goodyear :shrug:

You bet, the warranty lasts until you hit the concrete right outside the dealers lot--right after you paid for the car. JK!

Workmanship and defects only. I had a not so similar incident where the sidewall got slashed on my previous car. Totally out of my own pocket.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member

They're just warranried against defects i.e. tread separation or blowout etc. Nails, screwdrives, etc are on your dime.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
They're just warranried against defects i.e. tread separation or blowout etc. Nails, screwdrives, etc are on your dime.

I'll be looking into adding a road hazzard warranty from a local Goodyear shop then. They cannot be as expensive as a new tire.

Fiveohdean

Established Member
I had a nail through the sidewall with a whopping 40 miles on the car. Bought a pair of Nittos for the cost of 1 F1.

blucobra03

Established Member
You will want to make sure the Goodyear guy put the right tire on your car. There are two different type Goodyear Eagle F1 GS tires made. One for the F-bodies :xpl: , and one for our Cobras. The way to tell is by the designation of 98W on the sidewall right after the tire size (R17). If it has a 93W, then it's a F-body tire. The 98W carries a higher weight capability since our Cobras are lets say.... better built. I found this out early on when I had to replace a tire that had a gouge in the sidewall from some damn place. Got it from TireRack. At the time, TireRack was unaware of this difference and only carried the 93W tire. When I received their tire, I checked all the markings to make sure they were the same and saw the difference in 98W on my car as opposed to the 93W they sent. After I checked with Goodyear corporate office, I found out about the difference and called TireRack. Then they called Goodyear and found out and are now stocking both tires. Ain't it all so simple. :beer:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
OK Guys, here's the deal. I also had a flat on a brand new Goodyear (totally crap tires...but that's another story). The Goodyear dealer confirmed that I was out of warranty on the tire, since it had a puncture. However, he allowed me to "buy" road hazard on all 4 tires on the vehicle. Goodyear road hazard is $10.95 per tire. He then "replaced" the tire uder the road hazard, when the other tire came in (he had to order such a tire, it was a nonstock item). That way, I was only out 10.95 plus a buck or two, tax. A lot better than several hundred.

Also, pay attention to the replacement tire's sidewall...it's "93W". Our cars, stock, came with "98W". The "W" refers to the speed rating, which is really all we need to be worried about; however, there is a difference in the load rating. The replacement 93W (which is all that is currently available) does not have the equivalent load rating that the old tire did. I got the replacement from Tire Rack 3 weeks ago, and they confirmed that it was the only tire that they had available.

My guess is that Ford spec'ed out the speed and load ratings, which were too high of a spec for Goodyear to manufacture profitably...but they did it anyway, just so they could be the OEM supplier for the tires. (OEM suppliers tend to have a hammerlock on replacement parts...car buyers can be a particular lot. If Goodyears came on the car stock, then that's what they will be replaced with most of the time.) However, Goodyear is now manufacturing a lower cost version of the same tire with an inferior load rating to increase their margin per unit.

Cynicism??? Naaaah...:bash:

Black Stallion

Established Member
I think it would be covered under the Ford Extended Warranty, I had a staple in my rear tire and they repaired it for no charge.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Originally posted by FL Cobra03
I just check and it's a 93W. Should I be concerned?

I'm running a 93W with three 98Ws. I don't care, since I'm not going to be using the car like a truck or towing with it.

Just use the tires up and buy something else next...:)

matt lankford

all is sold
could be worse, when i had my DRs put on i left the f1s in the shop for a day too many a and a ***in mechanic stole them. i think i know who it was and im gonna at least get a volt meter to install my accufab with :mad

blucobra03

Established Member
FL Cobra03, I read what Joe Ash. said and I can't say whether it makes a difference or not. Or, that the 93W is the only one available or not. TireRack told him that that was the only tire THEY had. Maybe Goodyear does have the 98W. No flame intended Joe' ). Like I said before, the first TireRack guy I spoke with didn't even know a 98W existed. The best way is to call Goodyear yourself and verify that the 98W tire is not available. Of course it probably really doesn't matter a whole lot unless your going to load the tires up as Joe said. I will be showing my car at events as well as running it occasionally so I wanted it to be as "original" as possible. Kinda anal that way. Best of luck and let the rest know what you find out.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by FL Cobra03
Guess what, a full size screwdriver (minus the grip) was inside my tire.

That reminds me of the time I got a flat. I ended up pulling out a 9 inch drill bit. At first I figured it was just a screw or somthing. I put the pliers on it.... the object just kept coming. :shrug:

whitesnake03

Venomous Tennessean
Established Member
Good Googa Mooga!... I would be one pissed off you know what if I found a screwdriver or drillbit in my tire. Well, I guess I would be more happier to have a flat tire than a keyed 03. But speaking of spare tires? As much as we spent on our bodacious beauties; I would think that Ford would have furnished these cars with a full spare tire, don't you think?:shrug:

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by MineralGray03
Good Googa Mooga!... I would be one pissed off you know what if I found a screwdriver or drillbit in my tire. Well, I guess I would be more happier to have a flat tire than a keyed 03. But speaking of spare tires? As much as we spent on our bodacious beauties; I would think that Ford would have furnished these cars with a full spare tire, don't you think?:shrug:

Blame it on the penny pushers.:shrug:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I'll be looking into adding a road hazzard warranty from a local Goodyear shop then. They cannot be as expensive as a new tire.
I paid about $100 for road hazard all four tires. They charge a percentage of the retail price (but I paid more than $11 per tire...).

nduction03

Established Member
Full size spare? nah....

Give me the weight savings or a little bigger gas tank or 1000w amp or.....

haha the list goes on and on.

Users who are viewing this thread