Flashing service engine soon light

chilton

Established Member
I was driving home tonight and had the motor run as if it was missing followed by the service engine soon light flashed four times (that I noticed). I drove the truck a little further down the road and then everything was back to normal. I'm guessing the problem lasted about a minute or two. Anyone have this happen to them or have an idea what happened? Did the ECM hiccup and then it reset itself?

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
I'd say go to Autozone and see if they can find a stored code. Or find someone with a tuner that can pull the codes. I don't believe the ecm can reset it's self while the truck is running.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Severe Misfire? It's under warranty, DO NOT GO TO THE ZONE. Take it back to the dealer, you could have a bad coil pack.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Flashing SES is a serious code! Not just some rutine maintence or fix it code. Go to a delership if your under warrenty!!!

chilton

Established Member
It wasn't a severe miss, the engine shuddered w/ no power. The best way I can describe it was it seemed out of balance - mild vibration. I didn't notice any smoke and I popped the hood when I got home to look to see if the belt broke or anything abvious that could have caused the issue but everything looked good. Just as odd is it happened it disappeared. The truck is running fine. I have made the appointment w/ the dealer. I just hope it wasn't a fluke and they are able to find out what happened.

Thanks for all your help.

Ralph50

Speed Addict
Established Member
The ECM shoots out a trouble code if it senses a fault for 3 consecutive engine cycles. The light goes off if the fault goes away for 3 cycles but still stores the trouble code. If it is still under warranty I would still have it checked out.

slvrlightning

Usual Suspect
Established Member
If the service engine soon light flashes and then goes out the ecm saw an issue and repaired itself, I have had this happen before and the dealer gave me this answer. I would still see if they can find anything and go from there.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Any tech at a dealership who want to bull shit an answere with you, will tell you the reason the light went off is becasue the ecm fixed it's self. lol thier is no AI, and if something happened that would through a code, and result in the ecm changing something like timeing, a/f, maf curfs or what ever, then it needs to get checked out. if they give you a bull shit answer like "it fixed it's self" either have them tell you what went wrong in the first place, or find a new tech/shop.

EDIT: You really need to have it checked out though, think about the best, prepar for the worst.

boca ron

Banned
i had a plug ground strap on #6 cylinder about half missing (detonation) and right before motor would warm up and come off for lack of a better term automatic choke it would sometimes not always act similar to this guys. obviously i changed plugs no issues related to date. also check pcm make sure its in tite not loose down there sometimes the black plastic clips will fall down inside kick panel

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
wow I had no idea it could even do that. I only suggested the zone if they could pull the codes, not let them tear into the engine or sell you a spinning air freshener.

assasyn

Established Member
Didn't you write the book on car and truck repairs? :-D :lol1:

I crack myself up sometimes.

chilton

Established Member
Still under warranty so I am covered. I have the truck at my local SVT dealership. so far I have no complaints with them and I expect a straight answer, not one of these it fixed itself answers. Thanks for all the responses. I should have answer to what it was later today. I will post what they find.

assasyn, I wish It was my book. I'd have allot of money for mods. not to mention I could fix the truck myself.

Users who are viewing this thread