"Flaking" effect on side of headlights?

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
I've noticed this on quite a few 03/04 Cobra headlights, and then I just noticed mine has a little bit of it too? What is this from? It's like a clearcoat flaking off on the sides of the headlights where the yellow sidemarkers are. What is this from, what causes this, and how can you get rid of it/prevent it? It's not bad, but if I plan on taking my car to shows and stuff, I'm going to get a new set of headlights and make sure this doesn't happen to them.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I haven't seen anything to prevent it or fix it other than getting new headlights. Hopefully someone has an answer but leave it Ford to make inferior parts.

Steve2050

Established Member
Mine has the same "flaking" and I have no idea what caused it. The car isn't even driven that much and always parked inside.

jf4boogie

Established Member
Meguiars Plastic X seems to help hide it but definitely doesnt cure the problem...

gt03mustang

Detailer
Established Member
Best thing to do is sand the headlights to actually remove the clear. Than polish them out and reapply a new coat of clear. Dont apply wax to headlights because it will make them yellow.

STG

Banned
Best thing to do is sand the headlights to actually remove the clear. Than polish them out and reapply a new coat of clear. Dont apply wax to headlights because it will make them yellow.

I've been waxing mine since new. I've also used PlastX and #80, #82 and #83. They're NOT yellow. UV causes plastic headlights to turn yellow.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
wow a clear bra turning yellow would be a hell of a problem!!

+1 on the headlight issue...i saw mine doing that and didnt realize how much of a reoccuring problem it would be but DAMN, this is just one of those things that is quite frustrating! I agree with sanding it off and applying some sort of protection. A new clear coat would be awesome, but i worry about getting any runs on there and ending up with worse looking lights. I just make sure to use plastix and wax..seems to be working

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
mine barely has some flaking. I thought about buying a new set of headlights. has anybody else bought new headlights? and where did you purchase them from? would the $75 headlights on ebay be the same as OEM.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Mine are flaking as well (aftermarket) I would just sand it all off and keep them up with plastic polish and find something to protect them with

gt03mustang

Detailer
Established Member
Another option instead of applying a clear coat to them (which will probably flake again eventually), would be to apply a clear bra film.

rjs281

Established Member
I had this problem and tried wetsanding them and it didn't really help much. Just bought a new set off ebay and sealed them. They look good.

Users who are viewing this thread