FL Patrol in disguise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I dont speed, just fly low....well when the car is running that is

BillsSnake

:beer: Anyone that speeds in an active construction zone should go to jail for a couple of hours. Those guys working for DOT should get hazardous duty pay.

Grim's Reaper

NEXT.....................
Established Member
They are doing the same thing in PA..... This is b/s if you ask me. I won't get on my soap box here, but I will say one word --------
"entrapment"

BillsSnake

:bash: :bash: In response to Mr. Reaper's comment about entrapment, the word itself means to lure an individual into committing a crime in order to prosecute that person for the crime. Using your logic - installing barricanes, reducing the speed limits with posted signs, flashing lights, dump trucks, earth movers and State workers in orange reflective vests on the highway is causing or encouraging you to speed. I am missing something here because those things make me slow down.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by BillsSnake
:bash: :bash: In response to Mr. Reaper's comment about entrapment, the word itself means to lure an individual into committing a crime in order to prosecute that person for the crime. Using your logic - installing barricanes, reducing the speed limits with posted signs, flashing lights, dump trucks, earth movers and State workers in orange reflective vests on the highway is causing or encouraging you to speed. I am missing something here because those things make me slow down.

Exactly, if anything it should be a deterrent. It's not entrapment in PA that's for sure. They don't do it very often either. I don't think they do it often enough.

Grim's Reaper

Established Member
look I'm not here to bash cops....they have a hard enough job. But if they want to go under cover for drug enforcement and prostitution rings that's all fine and well. We don't need cops dressing up like its halloween and pretending to catch speeding cars.
By the way, those on here who have NEVER broken the speed limit at any time may cast the first stone. All I'm saying is this seems like some bullsh*t scheme to generate revenue for the state. I pay enough taxes and don't need some underhanded way to bleed more money from my pockets.

BillsSnake

:bash: :bash: Mr Reaper - Personally I think you are not directing your anger in a positive direction. Slow down in construction zones and you won't have a problem. I am a retired Police Officer from California and when people I stopped made comments like yours I would just smile and think "I wonder if he wants some cheese with that whine". Have a nice day and slow down.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Hey Grim,

I understand your point. I understand that it frustrates you. But, there is no way this situation is entraping you. They are not telling you to speed so they can trap you and ticket you. If anything it should be a better warning than a radar detector. Simple, you see a construction zone with a lowered speed limit, you follow the law and slow down, should be a useful thing.

As for your statement "those on here who have NEVER broken the speed limit at any time may cast the first stone." That isnt the point. We have all exceeded the speed limit at one time or another. I do it daily. But, I am fully aware of my actions and I am willing to pay the consequences for those actions. That is my right as a citizen here in the United States. But, I do not have the right to break this law or any other law, just because I dont agree with it or the way it is enforced.

As a side note, more people die each year in motor vehicle accidents than do from prostitution. So, our efforts are much better spent curtailing these activities then chasing prostitutes. And when the "johns" are caught they scream they arent hurting anyone and tell the officer to be useful and go pull over a speeder. Go figure.

But once again, I understand and share some of your frustrations with this matter.

Good Luck

Admiral Von Hulkenstien

Last edited:

Grim's Reaper

Established Member
Originally posted by BillsSnake
:bash: :bash: Mr Reaper - Personally I think you are not directing your anger in a positive direction. Slow down in construction zones and you won't have a problem. I am a retired Police Officer from California and when people I stopped made comments like yours I would just smile and think "I wonder if he wants some cheese with that whine". Have a nice day and slow down.

......this is not anger at all, I have no problem with cops as I stated. The system sucks and say what you want about me whining, your on the other side of the fence and I wouldn't expect you to go against your own kind.
Suggestions taken, (Hulk)......I will practice safe driving techniques in all areas :beer:

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by Grim's Reaper
All I'm saying is this seems like some bullsh*t scheme to generate revenue for the state. I pay enough taxes and don't need some underhanded way to bleed more money from my pockets.

If people knew how small of a percentage of the budget actually came from tickets they would laugh at this idea. (Not at you, lots of people feel the same way as you, don't want you to think this is personally directed at you.) If you look at a citation the fine itself is actually not that big, it's all the other stuff tacked on to it for other programs, such as EMS. People don't know how little paramedics are paid and how much it costs to run an ambulance service. For example in PA a careless driving citation is 98-100 dollars (haven't written one in two years so I don't remember the magistrate costs which go up every year). The actual fine itself is only $25!! so little of the money goes to the state its practically worthless. I realize over a year it's still a lot of money, but not in the scope of the budget for an entire state.

Ginsu

Established Member
Originally posted by Grim's Reaper
look I'm not here to bash cops....they have a hard enough job. But if they want to go under cover for drug enforcement and prostitution rings that's all fine and well. We don't need cops dressing up like its halloween and pretending to catch speeding cars.
By the way, those on here who have NEVER broken the speed limit at any time may cast the first stone. All I'm saying is this seems like some bullsh*t scheme to generate revenue for the state. I pay enough taxes and don't need some underhanded way to bleed more money from my pockets.

Hillie pretty much covered it. But it seems no matter what, people are going to believe what they want. If it will make you feel better in what you have convinced yourself about tickets....cops can get a series of bonuses in recognition for the huge amount of money coming into the state by how many tickets we write. Soon I will be eligible for a nifty toaster but my goal is the watch. I mean I love to see how many books I can go through. A bonofied way for me to know how close I came to meeting that mythical quota was how bad my cramped up after work. :rollseyes

Ok enough sacrasm.... most cops can give a crap about writing alot of tickets. A small number are ticket nazi's that live to stop and write a ticket for every single thing they can and there are traffic units who's mission in life is to enforce traffic. Usually the ticket nazis end up there. Me, and I think most officers, I stroke out a ticket only what I can't overlook. I am out looking for drunks, drugs, warrants, stolen cars, etc. So if I stop a car, the driver is clean and sober and I do not find anything in the car I want to let them go as soon as possible with a verbal warning. I do not want to waiste my time writing a ticket when can be in service hunting for that rightous stop with what I am looking for.

Just one other comment on what the FHP is doing...I think it is good to go. Any cop can tell you that when people are given a verbal warning, they will say thank you and behave until the officer is out of sight. Then it is back to doing what they did before. And take a look at society now a days, if you want to get someone's attention then you hit the wallet. Why do think there are so many B.S. lawsuites these days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread