Fk1 #425

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
I got a chance to try my 425 this weekend and I have to say, I wasn't that impressed. From the crazy good reviews Trance has been giving and some others as well I really had my hopes up.

This stuff streaked like crazy for me, even in the shade. It was so much harder to use than the Adam's. I typically spray a whole panel and sometimes two with the Adam's and then remove it. If adam's dries up a little, it doesn't really cause a headache, but if the FK1 dries up, it is impossible to remove with a mf cloth, you have to reapply the liquid.

The smell of it is alright, but not as good as Adam's either :p

Once I finally got the hang of the stuff and realized I had to do very small sections at once and really buff it out good, it was alright, but still not my favorite. I did like that I could spray the stuff from about 6 feet away if I wanted and still get a good spread :pop:

I was also waiting to see how well it protected against dust with it's antistatic formula, but again, I was very disappointed. I used the stuff in the morning - about 10am, and by about 4pm my car was COATED with dust. I think some of the dust could have been some pollen, but I was hoping it would repel it anyway or something lol, guess not. So, I didn't notice any increased dust repellent at any rate. Not that any QD I have used would have prevented this.

All in all, I'll finish this bottle, but something seems off with it. It is almost like it is sugary or sticky or syrupy or something, which makes it hard to remove and causes streaks... obviously it isn't sugary or anything, it just seems like it. Kinda like detailing the car with soda but I guess that doesn't make sense. I have only used it once so it is possible it will grow on me, but my intial impression tells me I'll be buying the 5gal of Adam's :rockon:

trance_in_miami

Established Member
very interesting.. first time i hear that. I use the #425 in a sunny day & have never gotten streaks. But then again i use it after a wash or QEW. I do prefer the Adams in the cleaning department becasue it is more versatile in that part. Also i have never experienced it being sticky :dw: hmm... thats weird. :-D

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I had the streaking issue when I was using too much in one area. Heat + excess product amplifies this effect.

It doesn't "repel" dust, it just doesn't attract it. If you were to mist a mf towel with an QD and brush it lightly across the surface, you will see how much easier the dust comes off (really easy).

Wipe as soon as you spray, letting it dry makes spots and is a pain.

I was skeptical too, but it is better than Meg's Crystal Mist that I've been using.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Yeah it still kills all OTC stuff I just can't get off Adam's.

I think the black car amplified the streaks as well. This was after a regular wash also, after the car was dried...

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I love the FK1. Never used Adam's though. I figured it was basically a tossup between them when I purchased the FK. I wanted the anti-static and ultra slick surface and didn't care if it had a good smell or cleaning ability.

trance_in_miami

Established Member
#425 will give your car a candy shell look & the slickness is much better based on my experience. The Adams has better cleaning power. I'd go with either one. but for the price the #425 is your best bet.

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
I love this stuff, I just washed my car and then QD'd it with #425 in the sun and it was very easy to do with no streaks. It left the car very slick and like Tance said with a "candy shell" look. I am in love, although I have never tried Adam's.

RB8888

Established Member
My experience with the #425 has been great. It is very easy to use....it seems to "melt" right into the finish. I have found it best to spray it on a plush Microfiber towel then wipe it on. It leaves behind a super slick, and glossy finish.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
I wanted to note that I tried FK1 again, this time on the cobra, and I spent some more time with it this time. I found that it definitely streaks more than Adam's. But I discovered that it is different... it needs to be applied and then buffed out completely, like a wax or sealant. Adam's, if you want, can just be wiped in and not really buffed out and you will get little to no streaking. The FK1 definitely needs a good buff out, but the final result is pretty good. I need to compare final results, but I have to say, when used properly, the FK1 is more impressive than I initially gave it credit for. It just takes me longer to use than Adam's ;-) And seems to have less cleaning power, also. I definitely don't think it has the versatility either - like I wouldn't use it for clay barring, but all in all it may have a place after all in my arsenal especially if I decide it looks better than Adam's when all is said and done.

At any rate, if cost is a factor to you, 425 may be your solution :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread