Fixing spindle on boat trailer

jaxbusa

Established Member
Looking for some advice on fixing a spindle on a boat trailer. I got a free Gheenoe, which is a canoe with a small gas motor, and trailer from my cousin. I’m sorting through some issues, as it was sitting outside for a long time. The trailer bearings had water intrusion and is pitted where the bearing seal rides. I was thinking about replacing the the entire axle but can’t find one that matches. This one is extremely small at just 44” long end to end. I would like advice on what I should do. My father in law says that he would just clean it up and smear JB Weld on it then sand. Would that hold up? I also see that you can buy a new spindle section meant to be welded on, and I have a welder…just never welded anything structural. It is only holding a canoe with a motor, though. I have also seen a small diameter metal sleeve that you drive over the damaged area, but I’m sure that method had its downsides as well. What would you do?
Image1669568821.467425.jpg

IMG_7292.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
If you can find a seal and sleeve just go that route, they are simple and are used on lots of applications up to diesel rear and front main seals. If you can't find one, just do what your FIL said. As long as you aren't making thousand mile trips it should be ok.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You can take it to a machine shop and they can either weld the bad area up and re-machine it to spec, or if they are high tech, they can plasma spray it to build up that are and machine to spec.
If it was mine, I would sleeve it and send it.

Users who are viewing this thread