fixing scratched headlights

VertTireSmoke

Tire smoker
Established Member
again ive done another search for this. My headlights are badly scratched and i wanna fix them rather than replace them. So does anyone know how to? THe pics don't show how bad they really are.

newwheels008.jpg

newwheels007.jpg

svtdvm

NEWB
Established Member
Depends on how deep the pits/scratches are, but you may need to do some wet sanding starting with either 600/800, then 1000/1200, then 1500, and finally 2000 grit. Then buff with some PlastX or an equivalent plastic polish.

But before you do any sanding, try the PlastX on a Powerball first and see how it looks. You may be satisfied it without a lot of work.

Last edited:

VertTireSmoke

Tire smoker
Established Member
+1 Maybe this link can provide some service for ya http://www.autogeek.net/headlight-lens.html

Depends on how deep the pits/scratches are, but you may need to do some wet sanding starting with either 600/800, then 1000/1200, then 1500, and finally 2000 grit. Then buff with some PlastX or an equivalent plastic polish.

But before you do any sanding, try the PlastX on a Powerball first and see how it looks. You may be satisfied it without a lot of work.

Thanks guys. Only thing im worried bout with the sanding is will it take off the tint? my headlights are smoked..

mustanginky

Established Member
yeah it's gonna take off the tint i would imagine. scratches like that will most likely need to be wetsanded out, not polished. polishing would be a last step though :) i'd say do the whole wetsanding thing personally.

VertTireSmoke

Tire smoker
Established Member
yeah it's gonna take off the tint i would imagine. scratches like that will most likely need to be wetsanded out, not polished. polishing would be a last step though :) i'd say do the whole wetsanding thing personally.

well i don't wanna sand them down if its gonna mess up the tint.

mustanginky

Established Member
if i'm not mistaken the tint is a coat on the headlights. i know my clears had a coat of clear on them and that's what did they were hazy. i couldn't get them to work very well, so i just vht'd them and they look pretty good. haven't night driven them though to know how well they work :)

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
sorry to say but the only real option is to buy new headlights. I had this problem like you and tried using plastic wax, it would work for a week or two but then it would return, only option is to buy new ones

Users who are viewing this thread