Fixing Leather Seats

331Stroker

Stroked
Established Member
I am looking at a 94 Cobra right now and the only thing I dont like is the condidtion of the seats. They are very cracked and I knew that you can fix them but I dont know how and if they are too bad for fixing. Let me know what product I need and how to use it... Thanks!

PipeHitter

Established Member
Really depends on the severity of the cracks. Have any pics? Unfortunately, Ford doesn't have a history of using the best of leathers in those model years, and IMHO 'top coated protected' leather wears quite poorly when not cared for. Once its started cracking, there really is no stopping it or bringing it back.

The advantages of top-coated leathers are they are quite resilient when maintained, and easy to clean. Dis-advantage is since the the top-coat behaves rather like vinyl, cracks and wear marks are usually permanent.

There are literally tons of leather related products available that may help to rejuvenate the leather. Best bet it to do a little research for different products based on your model year(s) and try a few.

I've had really good luck with Leather CPR: Leather CPR : Leather CPR. But note that it has performed best for me on aniline leathers. On top-coated leathers pretty much any OTC products has worked fine, with a little partiality to Megs stuff. Perhaps the pro's can chime in on some of the more expensive boutique products.

If the cracks are too severe, then at one end you could replace the seats, or perhaps have a local upholsterer recover them. I've seen tons of re-upholster jobs that literally looked better than stock. Of course that will depend if you have any decent upholsterers in your area.

I wouldn't let the condition of the seats sway my purchase too much if I really liked the car. But I would factor in the cost of replacement seats/leather in my offer.

Users who are viewing this thread