Fixed my delaminating radio screen

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Didn't see a thread on this in search, so here we go.

My radio screen looked like crap. The tint/coating on the screen was delaminating. Ford Dealership wanted around $300 to fix the problem.

FE383C8D-1A28-4D19-B0D8-CDFC087FBD1E_zpswmnepf33.jpg

I ordered a piece of tinted acrylic from Tapplastics.com. I got two pieces for $20 shipped. The exact specs I ordered, which fit perfectly:

Transparent Acrylic Sheets (Cut-to-Size) - Transparent Smoke
1/8 (.118) inches Thick, 2 inches Wide, 7-5/16 inches Long

Direct link to the stuff I ordered: http://www.tapplastics.com/product/...plastic/acrylic_sheets_transparent_colors/519

(Hope linking there isn't a problem)

Took the console apart, took the radio cover off, and pried off the old screen. There was enough adhesive leftover that I just pressed the new piece into place and it held in tightly.

D5DF40FC-9C17-4297-8529-96D257319A32_zpsdapdaftu.jpg

6D6C8E84-9C8A-4B2A-AD22-41ABDFC28153_zps9xjgizbr.jpg

Looks like brand new now, and the acrylic isn't as soft and scratch-prone as the original plastic. I know some people were using glass pieces and tinting them, but I'm not a fan of the idea of having untempered glass infront of me if I get in a wreck. This looks as good or better, and is safer.

6885E77D-545F-4ED4-BE27-B67710A0CD3E_zpssywxnirw.jpg

Hope someone else can find this useful some day. Cheap, easy fix for an annoying flaw.

Last edited:

Vert

Established Member
Thanks for the info and it's something I need to do this spring and I'm trying to avoid taking it ford even though it's still under warranty.

MKMotorsport

Established Member
Will be doing this.

Ford replaced mine once under warranty, then I kid you not... the replacement did it "on its own" without ever being cleaned or touched in about a years time. Car is not a daily and stored in a heated garage in winter. The OEM material is simply outright defective, OR, maybe I have the worst luck in the world?? :lol:

noldevin

Established Member
Mine has scratches that I honestly couldn't say how they got there. Just ordered a sheet from them, thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread