Fix Clutch or Buy Daily Driver?

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
Let me start this post by saying I'm financially smart, but I'm in a bit of a bind. I bought my '08 GT500 through my credit union a year ago, so I'm still making payments. When I bought her, I had a good job and enough in my savings to last me for quite some time. I then quit my job in and moved to further pursue my career, but I knew the new job would be less income.

Anyway, my car is finally experiencing the dreaded clutch issue, just one year after owning her. I bought her with 15k miles, and I'm up to 25k miles now. So here's my dilemma. I can either change the clutch out with a McLeod RXT, which will set me back almost $2,000, parts and labor included, or buy a 4 cylinder daily driver for a little bit more. I would do the clutch work myself with a friend, but neither of us want to do the job on our backs, and I don't know anybody who would let me use their shop lift, so I'm forced to pay. The shop I found wants to charge me for 5.1 hours, about $455 in labor.

To further touch up on my situation, I live 1.9 miles away from my job, and I don't really go out much, so I don't spend too much on gas. However, at least once a month I tend to go to a concert, and because I moved, they're all at least 60 miles away (120+ mile round trip,) plus I have to sit in traffic. I usually end up renting a car for the day from Enterprise, due to the fact that it comes out cheaper to rent a car plus spend money on gas on a 4 cylinder, than it is to drive my car. Rent plus gas on a 120 mile round trip sets me back about $40-$50, and a round trip in my car sets me back about $45. The further the concert, the more it makes sense to rent a car.

So the million dollar question is, should I fix my car, or buy a daily driver? If I buy a daily driver, I wouldn't be fixing the GT500 for quite some time, until I can manage to put together some extra cash for her. Also, how much should I spend on a daily driver that would get me a safe bet on a reliable car? I know if I look around long enough, I'll find a steal of a deal, but since I don't have too much time left before my clutch completely gives out, and I need a reliable form of transportation, I need to make a decision soon.

I have about $3,000 to spend on another car, so what are your opinions on this matter? Thanks!

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I know working on your back is not ideal, but when money is somewhat tight, and your car is getting worse...

Dunno about cheap DD options, but I would hate to have a car payment on a car that can't be driven.

Edit: IMO fix your car.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Fix the shelby. Suck it up and do it on your back over the weekend.

Another car is just more expenses. It's more insurance, more in registration fees, more oil changes, more tires, etc. Granted those are going to be small, it all adds up, even if you don't drive much. Especially when you are on a budget. Idk how reliable a $3k car is going to be. You don't want to be out 3k and have 2 broken cars.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Id sell the GT500 and get something thats actually reliable of a DD that still can be enjoyable and more fits your needs than a secondary car (GT500) that doesnt run with a blown clutch and a pos $3k DD that wont necessarily be reliable and youll hate driving after the first day.

Once your finances get better, then upgrade. Cars are just cars man, they come and they go.

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
I'd do the work on my back, but the most I've done to my car is change the alternator, and on my last '01 Bullitt, swap out the mid-pipe, catback, and springs. I'm not too mechanically inclined, so if I did the work on my back, I'd be going off of guides online. So I'm a little worried I might mess something up.

How straight forward is the clutch and flywheel swap? I also know it's recommended to replace the slave cylinder, but my biggest concern is having to jack up the car on all four sides, have to drop the engine slightly and I'm worried something will break.

Am I thinking too much about it?

Coiled03

Established Member
I don't see the question here.

It's spend $3K on a potentially unreliable car, plus insurance, etc, or spend $2K to get the clutch fixed (at most - you could always man up and do it yourself). Seems like a no brainer to get the car fixed, to me. Hell, you could even walk to work while it's in the shop.

Blown 89

Established Member
If the car isn't a good fit for your DD needs get a new one. I'm not sure why you need to spend so much on a clutch to be honest. Do the work yourself and don't go aftermarket if it puts you in a bind financially.

NastyNate420

Established Member
Fix the clutch. Its not that bad to do without a lift and you live in SD so weather shouldnt be an issue!
Kinda pointless to spend that kinda on another car....if it takes you longer than expected to fix your car you coulld always walk to work!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If it was me, I'd fix your shelby and buy a bicycle to commute to work on. In SoCal how many days a year would the weather be poor enough not to bike the 2 miles you live? You'd save more money, get in shape and not have to worry about potential reliability issues with a cheap beater.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I say buy a dd. Since I live in Minnesota, I've always had one. Some think it was dumb having a car that only gets driven 1-2 times a week in the summer with a payment of 450 a month for over 3 years. Then again, I'm responsible and rarely ever go out.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Oh you only live 1.9mi from work?

Dude get a ****ing bike lol. I wish I only worked 1.9mi from home. Id be pedaling daily, get me one of those nice light racing style bikes.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I'd do the work on my back, but the most I've done to my car is change the alternator, and on my last '01 Bullitt, swap out the mid-pipe, catback, and springs. I'm not too mechanically inclined, so if I did the work on my back, I'd be going off of guides online. So I'm a little worried I might mess something up.

How straight forward is the clutch and flywheel swap? I also know it's recommended to replace the slave cylinder, but my biggest concern is having to jack up the car on all four sides, have to drop the engine slightly and I'm worried something will break.

Am I thinking too much about it?

Replacing the clutch and flywheel isn't too bad. Biggest issue is just getting everything aligned when you bolt it back up. If you are really having to force it in place, it's not aligned properly. A bad alignment means you will run through your new clutch in just a couple hundred miles, at most.

Considering selling your car and getting a cheaper, reliable DD is also a great idea if your finances are really tight. It would save money on insurance, registration, maintanance, etc. Assuming you don't have a negative equity.

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
Yeah, I've been wanting to buy a bicycle to get to work. I'm going to real soon, too.

I'd much rather work on the car myself to be honest, I want to do everything I can to the car myself to the best of my abilities.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
If it was me, I'd fix your shelby and buy a bicycle to commute to work on. In SoCal how many days a year would the weather be poor enough not to bike the 2 miles you live? You'd save more money, get in shape and not have to worry about potential reliability issues with a cheap beater.

Was just going to give the same answer. Can't imagine there are many days you can't ride.

nxhappy

Established Member
get a buddy, a 30 pack, and swap that bitch yourself. Nothing better than working on a car yourself. LEARN the car, and you will enjoy it that much more.

KingJacobo

GM Fanboy Gone Darkside
Established Member
Buy a bike (it's fun, cost effective and you'll be in better shape) and fix the Shelby yourself with a friends help, or follow guides carefully.

1.9 miles is nothing! I would LOVE to be able to do that.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Fix the shelby. Suck it up and do it on your back over the weekend.

Another car is just more expenses. It's more insurance, more in registration fees, more oil changes, more tires, etc. Granted those are going to be small, it all adds up, even if you don't drive much. Especially when you are on a budget. Idk how reliable a $3k car is going to be. You don't want to be out 3k and have 2 broken cars.

Agreed on this, either fix it yourself or get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread