fishpick's 2012 Coyote Vert Build Thread (Base GT Convertible)

fishpick

Established Member
Manual, and custom dyno tune
That's what I'm sayin!
I CAN NOT WAIT to get this auto woken up with this kit... EVERYONE that loves this kit has a manual...
Half the fun is getting things there and dialed in tho - so - getting excited again like I was for the install!

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Car and blower look great!

I wanted to add my two cents on tires....I picked up a set of Nitto NT555 G2s (305-35-20) and I've been pretty happy so far with how they are handling the power. 1st and 2nd are still tough but I think the G2s are a better street option than the nitto drag radials, which unless heated, can spin a ton and also suck in the rain.
Thank you. Already had a bad experience with DR's and the rain. I think my only option is a bias ply drag set up, for good weather only, lol.

Joe 69

Established Member
Hey Fishpick.

Hope this makes sense….
I finally started working on the oil pump gears for my Whipple 2.9 install.

My A/C compressor has a fan belt that runs from the compressor pulley to the balancer pulley. There is no ideal arm type tensioner pulley. Like on the alt side.

I noticed in Paul’s oil pump install photos, he had a tensioner arm/pulley on the A/C side.
Looking at your photos ……it seems (hard to tell) your setup may be the same as mine (no tensioner pulley).

My question did Whipple provide you with all the correct pulleys or, did you have to get an addition (mount an OEM) tensioner type pulley for the A/C compressor side on the timing cover.

Thanks! Joe

fishpick

Established Member
Hey Fishpick.

Hope this makes sense….
I finally started working on the oil pump gears for my Whipple 2.9 install.

My A/C compressor has a fan belt that runs from the compressor pulley to the balancer pulley. There is no ideal arm type tensioner pulley. Like on the alt side.

I noticed in Paul’s oil pump install photos, he had a tensioner arm/pulley on the A/C side.
Looking at your photos ……it seems (hard to tell) your setup may be the same as mine (no tensioner pulley).

My question did Whipple provide you with all the correct pulleys or, did you have to get an addition (mount an OEM) tensioner type pulley for the A/C compressor side on the timing cover.

Thanks! Joe
@Joe 69
So the belt on your A/C and mine is a "stretch" belt. To remove it you cut it off.

Then when you are ready to put the new one on there's a zip tie trick where you basically walk the belt onto the balancer by turning the engine over and using zip ties to pull it on.

It sounds harder than it is. But you need a new belt. There's no reusing that one!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

fishpick

Established Member
I have been silent for a while - because I'm sick of posting things that went wrong for me and this build while all these other SOB's are getting a 2.9 on their ride and loving it... Well - Tuning sessing fell through because tuner didn't respond at all - fired the tuner - will rescheduled dyno session later with my new tuner who does communicate.

I replaced the Kooks exhaust with FRPP Tourings - drone is gone, can hear the whine, discovered a new sound the drone covered up - which was bad belt slippage...

Ordered a shorter belt from Amazon put it on and drove it tonight...

OK- HOLY SHIT (yes the profanity filter likely got that, it was $#!T) - the original belt has CLEARLY been slipping from day one - CLEARLY - all the questions about the bypass not closing, the belt, the tune, everything I looked at - the damn droning Kooks covered up the tell tale sound of the belt letting go... and after fixing that... well, NOW... NOW we can talk about the power this kit puts to the road and the tires not being worth a damn even with the "stock" tune!

THIS is what I expected... 9-10psi on the gauge - constantly under load... no surge crap from fluctuating boost - hard, push you into your seat power now - no BS.

Hope to have first PBD tune in hand tomorrow... I expect that to completely re-map the gear stacking the current tune still loves to do - and put more to the ground... WOW!

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Hot damn! Congrats on your "new" whipple. Lol

Super happy for ya. This thing is badass! Can't go wrong with Ken. Although he is currently swamped with orders as well. You may want to exercise patience with these tuners. It pays off in the end.

Any plans to run higher octane once the tune is done? How about a quiet start up tune? Any need for that?

fishpick

Established Member
Hot damn! Congrats on your "new" whipple. Lol

Super happy for ya. This thing is badass! Can't go wrong with Ken. Although he is currently swamped with orders as well. You may want to exercise patience with these tuners. It pays off in the end.

Any plans to run higher octane once the tune is done? How about a quiet start up tune? Any need for that?
Ken responded in a couple of days... and it was Sean in his front office that suggested the shorter belt as a possible solution (in addition to these forums) - he said he has seen these kits do this very thing in their shop.
Re: switching tuners - It's TOTALLY not the time delay or needing patience - it's being told something, paying for what I was told I was getting, and then nothing. I'm not gonna bash, they are a good company that is a bit backlogged, I think, and NOT communicating is never an acceptable solution - especially when there was a timeline for a dyno session. So - I asked for a refund and moved on.
I'm starting with a 93 octane tune - because I have plentiful access to 93 in these parts. And likely that's it. In my mind I have dreams of building a sleeved - forged motor someday - and IF I ever realized that dream, I'll certainly add a return system and of course play with e85... but not anytime soon!
Quiet startup tune - these new FRPP Tourings are just fine at startup (love them!). My garage door controller has stopped falling off the visor and rattling apart... I'm happy to be quiet again and for the fillings in my teeth AND for the fact I can now rail on the car's accelerator and "stealthily" enjoy boost!

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Can't argue with any of that. I have high standards when it comes to communication.

I appreciate knowing the route cause of your issue. That's great info since I still have the smaller pulley waiting in the wings.

As for the sound, mine was backfiring on every shift with no baffles in my side pipes and the Whipple tune. I put them back in and the car is now stealthy quiet with the Magnaflow Street catback. I'm loving it too!

fishpick

Established Member
UPDATE : Still have some slippage - much much less - but I still hear it now and again in that 3000-3500 range when things are "just right" (i.e. not right) as see the boost drop. And after it makes the sound a couple of times I find dust on the SC pulley and the upper idlers.
Whipple has a new mounting plate and billet tensioner enroute to me - should fix it but good given the shorter belt has made great strides towards solving the last issue here!
It's still a TON of fun to drive now compared to when it slipped every time before - and the slippage now is pretty infrequent and considerably less as well.
...and the beat goes on... badhadum badum...

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
I think I have those updated parts. Was a problem last year with the 6G guys that Whipple addressed. Probably why I haven't had the issues you've had. You may or may not need your old belt after the changes.

Joe 69

Established Member
Fishpick,

Glad to hear things are moving in the right direction.

My 2.9 install is coming along. Do you have the size or, part number for the replacement (shorter) belt.

Thanks!!

Sportin' Wood

Established Member
Thanks for posting up the p/n for the belt. Question re belt dust how much are you seeing. I've put about 500 miles on mine and see some trace amounts. How much are your seeing? I may have to try to get one of these billet tensioners, as the output on the dayco one seems a little weak

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

fishpick

Established Member
Thanks for posting up the p/n for the belt. Question re belt dust how much are you seeing. I've put about 500 miles on mine and see some trace amounts. How much are your seeing? I may have to try to get one of these billet tensioners, as the output on the dayco one seems a little weak

"A LOT"... like - 3 or 4 times hearing the sound - and the spaces in the SC pulley are very dusty... The top 3 smooth idlers look like I have been off roading... it's not a small amount by any measure!

rustang1

Established Member
Have you moved the adjustable idler? Are you sure it's torqued properly and not slipping?

I've used the same belt with different sized pulleys with no problems.

rustang1

Established Member
UPDATE : Still have some slippage - much much less - but I still hear it now and again in that 3000-3500 range when things are "just right" (i.e. not right) as see the boost drop. And after it makes the sound a couple of times I find dust on the SC pulley and the upper idlers.
Whipple has a new mounting plate and billet tensioner enroute to me - should fix it but good given the shorter belt has made great strides towards solving the last issue here!
It's still a TON of fun to drive now compared to when it slipped every time before - and the slippage now is pretty infrequent and considerably less as well.
...and the beat goes on... badhadum badum...

I think I have those updated parts. Was a problem last year with the 6G guys that Whipple addressed. Probably why I haven't had the issues you've had. You may or may not need your old belt after the changes.

So what's the deal with the "upgraded" parts?
Did whipple change some parts, add parts, replace parts in the last year or so?
I bought my kit in Oct 2015.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Question re belt dust how much are you seeing. I've put about 500 miles on mine and see some trace amounts. How much are your seeing? I may have to try to get one of these billet tensioners, as the output on the dayco one seems a little weak

Keep in mind that even if your belt is not slipping you will still have belt dust on your pulleys. In Fishpicks case its obvious he is having some slip (sounds, loss of boost, excessive dust). If your car is running strong and holding boost I would not change a thing.

OP, I think you have the worst luck out there. At least you are able to do the work yourself which will be rewarding in the end. Hopefully these new parts iron everything out and you have it all dialed in soon. Wish you lived closer id love to help you figure this out. Take care brotha!!

fishpick

Established Member
I think you have the worst luck out there
That's pretty much what my wife tells me... all the time... which is why I think I haven't "spilled gas" all over the car while drinking and running lit candle relays. :)
NON-Car Example : Just put in a fancy and expensive 1/4 turn no leak frostproof sillcock in the garage... damn thing leaks all over when it's open - brand new! So - yeah - it's not just SC parts or anything else... it's EVERYTHING, all the time!

@rustang1 - it's like literally any manufactured product... there are "revisions"... not because everything is crap for everyone all the time... but because a good company (like Whipple) will look at aggregate issues and say - "we get too many calls about the tensioner, we need to reengineer it" - and they do. Like @Riddick said - if you car is working - there's no value to a changed part because your part was in the majority of the working ones anyhow.

Like another change - I see on the newest Whipples the 1/8" nipple on the front of the intake that you run the line to the bypass is a 90* fitting now... mine is straight - I'm guessing that change was as simple as "this is easier for people to install" and nothing more (or they got a bunch of them for less than the other style).

And @Riddick - I'd love the help at this point... esp someone from a village filled with Mechanics :eek:

Tonight I did my first set of datalogs for PBD - first impressions of the tune - just starting up the car now is way smoother and it doesn't instantly rev to 1500 on the key turn... so that's a form of progress. Although the tune did use a 2012 strategy - so now my transmission lost select-a-shift and my LCD gauge project is just "colors" - but that's a simple one to fix as the Whipple kit tune figured that one out! Plus - Ken is a fast replier!
And got the tracking number from Whipple for the different tensioner and I'm giving FedEx 50% odds on not losing it...

Sportin' Wood

Established Member
I'm very happy with my setup hopefully you get your mojo back once your tuned. From what you said with the dust, I've got no concerns. I'm all smiles when I'm out tooling around and putting my foot into it. Nothing like laying down a couple of black strips at 50mph.

As far as bad luck I think you appear to get more than your fair share of it lol. It can only get better for you at this point.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread