FISHERMAN OF SVT! I Call on you!

Brantner

Established Member
I just started fishing a few weeks ago and am VERY into it!

I have been useing my friends gear and sence I know this is going to be something I do on a weekly basis, I was wondering what kind of rod/reel setup I should get (freshwater) I am in Oklahoma so if anyone is in the area and has some fishing tips they want to share that would be awsome.

I would mainly be fishing for bass and cat fish (any other suggestions? )

also could someone hook me up with a guide to the lures I would want to be useing?

I will be doing most my shopping for this stuff off of ebay (sence it's cheap and bait is REALLY cheap)

My Aim is ThuggLuv360 for anyone who wants to catch me on AIM

Thanx in advance

94Mustang302

Long Live 302...
Established Member
lol glad to see someone else enjoys this. for catfish, use a bait called dough ball. u cant buy it , u have to make it out of wheaties, hamburger meat, galic, and red jello. lol i know that sounds wierd but it works. just mix it all togeher really good the way it is. dont cook the meat. the jello all u have to do is warm up the red stuff in water. trust me, it works like a charm!

Brantner

Established Member
Originally posted by 94Mustang302
lol glad to see someone else enjoys this. for catfish, use a bait called dough ball. u cant buy it , u have to make it out of wheaties, hamburger meat, galic, and red jello. lol i know that sounds wierd but it works. just mix it all togeher really good the way it is. dont cook the meat. the jello all u have to do is warm up the red stuff in water. trust me, it works like a charm!

it dosn't sound gross enough for a cat....

I caught a 4lb channel cat today useing this stuff called "Hog Wild" it comes with the 3 hook'd hooks with sponges on then and then you put it in that paste (it smells like 10 diffrent kinds of ass) and I had 8 catches in a row before I switched to Bass fishing

I definatly enjoy fishing though, it is VERY fun.

anyone wanna sell me a Bass reel/rod for cheap?

I sure hope more than 1 person fishes on this board lol.

also, if anyone from Ok, that is close to Tulsa that wants to fish, I will glady join anyone.

Brian's 00GT

Established Member
I wish that I could help, but all that I fish is saltwater. I don't know much about freshwater, but for a rod and reel combo you can't go wrong with a calcutta reel and an allstar rod. Just my .02

Brian

94Mustang302

Long Live 302...
Established Member
im gonna try that hog wild stuff out! but the biggest bass ive ever caught was 17 pounds and it was a bitch to reel in. it almost took my pole under. that was like 2 years ago. i havent been fishing in almost 6 monthes

Brantner

Established Member
Originally posted by 94Mustang302
im gonna try that hog wild stuff out! but the biggest bass ive ever caught was 17 pounds and it was a bitch to reel in. it almost took my pole under. that was like 2 years ago. i havent been fishing in almost 6 monthes

the hog wild works MONEY! I tell you what :beer:

Brian: it's ok I tottaly understand, I recently moved to Oklahoma from Washington and I did some saltwater frishing back home, it's 2 diffrent worlds.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Are Catfish that fun to catch?

I'm going up to northern Michigan near Traverse City in a couple days and will be fishing on a 5,000 acre lake. Any tips for catching Bass, Northern Pike, Panfish? I'm salivating at the thought of freshly caught fish in the frying pan. :rockon:

Brantner

Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
Are Catfish that fun to catch?

I'm going up to northern Michigan near Traverse City in a couple days and will be fishing on a 5,000 acre lake. Any tips for catching Bass, Northern Pike, Panfish? I'm salivating at the thought of freshly caught fish in the frying pan. :rockon:

crankbait on the bass and fish around trees shrubs stuff liek that... bass are predators so if they have a chance they would much prefer to attack the bait from behind something

you can also use worms (with very very little weight)

(no weight on the crankbait)

and for cat....YES they are fun, specially when you get a 30lb-70lb cat on the other end of your line...:beer: (hasn't happend to me YET, but I have heard stories...)

you may have to try fishing a little deeper then normal though for the Bass. just cause the seasons are gunna be changing and ish here shortly

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
I used to be in a fishing club as a tournament bass angler down here in North Carolina. My advice to you is to get yourself a Daiwa rod/reel baitcaster or spincaster. Buy some spinnerbaits (dont get hung up like crankbaits) and some soft plastics (worms and lizzards). Find yourself a local club to join, just to get the opportunity to fish with some of the people that know the waters around there. Spend as much time as possible until you find what works. But most of all, have fun. You dont need to catch fish to have a good day fishing.

wally9404

Established Member
right now i would fish topwater baits in the am,cloudy days spinner baits try 10 inch worms dark colors3/8 weight texas rigged. try the worms at nihgt also. i would get a 6 1/2 foot medium to heavy graphite rod and a bait casting reel with 14 lb test line.bait casters or a little hard to get the hang of ,just tighten up the drag so you dont backlash so bad until you get the hang ofit,always have the crank handle pointed upwards when you cast and your finger ready to stop the spool.

Billybong

I Am The Anti-Rice!
Established Member
...caught with a spinner bait...

bigfish.jpg

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
We used to catfish with chicken livers, and chad. Chads were usually the best. Go find a damn. Cast the pole. Prop the pole. Open a beer. Drink ! 30 min later after 4 or 5 beers. If you haven't cvaught anything ! Bring in the chad. Put it on the ground stomp three times through back out. Open another beer. Nothing like catfishing !

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Brantner
it dosn't sound gross enough for a cat....

I caught a 4lb channel cat today useing this stuff called "Hog Wild" it comes with the 3 hook'd hooks with sponges on then and then you put it in that paste (it smells like 10 diffrent kinds of ass) and I had 8 catches in a row before I switched to Bass fishing
I'm not sure I would want to eat something that eats things that smell like 10 different kinds of ass. LOL

Bass fishing is fun. We use the typical lures like spinnerbaits, topwater, jerkbaits, rattletraps, jigs, etc. The key is learning where the fish will be and getting the right lure to them. We usually fish for striped bass during the summer here on the coast and go to the farm ponds for bass when the stripers run up river. Been a while since I've gone fishing though.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
You can bring along some blockbusters with the waterproof fuse, just drop them in the water, and break out the net when they float to the surface :p Thats NY-style fishin

spinscan

Established Member
Don't be a ricer fisherman. Buy an American made rod. :) Here is a link to one of my favorite rod makers. I don't think you can beat them for the money.

http://www.rodsbyairrus.com/rods.html

Unfortunatley, it is almost impossible to stay away from imported reels. My favorite baitcaster is the Shimano Curado. You can get good deals on ebay. The best spinning reels are made by Daiwa and Shimano imo.
Here are a couple of fishing msg boards. Lots of good info here.

http://forums.basspro.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cg

http://www.bassfishin.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pli

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I never could get into fishing to much, my dad loves it. He is a huge outdoorsman, ties his own flies (have a HUGE desk with about 5k worth of fly tying materials). I don't have the patience for it. I did however enjoy cat fishing for some reason. We used to take the boat down the lake in a cove with a fallen tree that sits in the water. That thing was the jackpot. We would just use chicken livers, which work very well with catfish. I always was told you should put it in a panty hose that way it doesn't fall apart, but we never really had a problem. Give them a try and see how you can do.

BayouVette

Far Beyond Driven
Established Member
i'm really into fishing myself, but they dont have no freakin 17lb bass down in louisiana.
I prefer freshwater fishing but also love saltwater too. They have lakes and bayous everywhere around here.
The bayous for bass I used a 6" watermelon seed brushhog. Especially during spawn. The lizards eat the eggs so the bass are on the lookout. In the lakes I used a chartruese spinner bait and sometimes a natural colored top water popper.
I dont have any expenses equipment. I do have one shimano baitcaster and rod. The rest is from wally world.
This is a main reason I chose to stay down south.

Here's a couple of recent pics.
Bayou Trip
bassfurl.jpg

Lake trip
basschest.jpg

tuna fishing ( thats me on the left)
P0037776.jpg

Sailing2Smth

Smooth Ass Sailor
Established Member
subscribing
As many times as I have been fishing, I never even caught a fish. I just sit out there with my pole in the water and drink beer.

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
Originally posted by Sailing2Smth
subscribing
As many times as I have been fishing, I never even caught a fish. I just sit out there with my pole in the water and drink beer.

I used to be pretty good.. What I used to do when I had a few days off.. Always relaxing. But the main thing was always catching a buzz! ! ! :)

Brantner

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
I'm not sure I would want to eat something that eats things that smell like 10 different kinds of ass. LOL

Bass fishing is fun. We use the typical lures like spinnerbaits, topwater, jerkbaits, rattletraps, jigs, etc. The key is learning where the fish will be and getting the right lure to them. We usually fish for striped bass during the summer here on the coast and go to the farm ponds for bass when the stripers run up river. Been a while since I've gone fishing though.

how do you know where the fish will be and what lure they are going to be attracted too? is it just a guessing game?:shrug:

what color crankbaits and spinner baits work the best?

all this fishing talk makes me want to go fishing!

are there any good fishing bords that you guys know of?

Users who are viewing this thread