First track outing with new Cobra

c_mart_28

Established Member
Well, I purchased my '03 Cobra in early March and finally felt comfortable and had the time to get it on the 1/4 this last Saturday. Went to Cedar Falls Raceway located in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

Dyno'd the car a few weeks earlier (on a dynojet dyno..) and it made 572 rwhp at 16#'s and 555 ft. lbs. Car is equipped with a Whipple 2.3, longtubes, trunk ice box and a build 8.8 solid rear end. Didn't get it on the scale but the car should be just under 3400 according to the previous owner.

Ended up running bests of:
11.43@121 mph 1/4
7.35@96 1/8
1.69 60 ft.

This was accomplished on nearly spent 325/50/15 ET Streets which were totally spent after this outing. I feel like my shifting was decent and was getting about the most out of the tire and track conditions that night. Just wanted to get a few additional opinions of my times and to see if they seem about right. I'm anxious to see what slicks will do for my short times but the budget doesn't have room immediately.

Any input would be great..

-Casey

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
nice. my friend with a 2.3 at 16#s would run 11.40's all day no matter what he did. more seat time and you'll get into the 10's. my kb2.6 is pulley for 16#'s and i went 10.96. even with that 60' if you powershifted it i bet you would get an 11.30. the lower u get your 60' the quicker your et will be.

Last edited:

c_mart_28

Established Member
forgive me if I'm mis-applying this information but here is what I've gathered about the conditions that night:
Density Altitude: 329 feet
Relative Density: 99.04 %
46 degrees.

It was a streetcar night at the track so unfortunately I didn't have any heavy hitters laying down good rubber in front of me. I do feel like there is quicker times to be had with more experience behind the wheel so I'm real excited to get back. I also want to get some actual slicks to, if nothing else, experience some sub-1.6 60ft times. Even the 1.69 that I managed was about 3 tenths faster than I've ever come out of the hole before and it was definitely an eye opening experience to the benefits of torque :-D

c_mart_28

Established Member
Well, spent some time at the closest track to me last night (Eddyville raceway park..) which is only an 1/8th mile track. Had some considerable issues with my clutch (spec stage 3+) which I've pretty much diagnosed down to a combination of being super heated and a bit out of adjustment. I have a firewall adjuster that I think I'm just going to junk. 20% less pedal pressure is not worth having zero clutch feel.

Anyways, here are my times:
1.62 60ft
7.40 et
94 mph

Same setup as mentioned earlier but now on 28x12.5x15 ET street bias plys. My clutch issues consisted of one time it would not let me out of gear and a couple different times it would not allow me to engage a gear. Almost aas though the clutch was not fully dis-engaging It was also making a noise of..."rubbing" i guess as it would engage while very hot. Sound familiar to anyone?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
These cars need really long cool down times. Be sure and let the car cool all the way down and your clutch will act better at the track. Other than that your mph seems just a hair low but that could easily be your clutch also.

Rice Eatr

Established Member
If those were the conditions, that is great air for August. I agree w/ Posi, your mph looks low for that power level and weight. Do you datalog?

c_mart_28

Established Member
No, have not datalogged as of yet.

The air conditions mentioned above were actually from my first trip back in May. It was hovering right around 90 degrees the whole night...unsure of the other conditions. Its Iowa though, hot and extremely humid.

c_mart_28

Established Member
Went back to my closest 1/8th mile last night and with better conditions:
Density Altitude: 2006 feet
Relative Density: 94.26 %

Ran a 7.25@95 with a 1.58 60'

All personal bests except for my mph. I'm thinking I might try to make it out to one more event this year (1/4 mile) and I'm hoping that the weather might cooperate a bit better and bring down that humidity for some better air. We'll see...I want to see if I can't scratch that 10.99 barrier..

Users who are viewing this thread