First track day and Im hooked

lilcoop03

Established Member
Went to my first track day last week at Road Atlanta in my H/C C6Z.. Definitely the most fun I have had with the car by far and it made me fall in love with it all over again in many ways.

The car ran great and didn't have any issues at all. My instructor was awesome and took me out in his brand new C7Z (Z07) for about 12 laps.

The track is so much fun! Just wanted to share with you guys and if you are considering it, don't think about it, just do it... You will be glad you did.

Cheers

lilcoop03

Established Member
Yes, Ive been bitten.. Cant wait to go back in March..

I did the Just Track It event (JTI) and I have to say, you get plenty of time on the track and theres not much time to wait around to get bored with in between sessions.. I got over 100 minutes of track time at this event!

Also, lots of other badass cars there in all of the classes.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yes, Ive been bitten.. Cant wait to go back in March..

I did the Just Track It event (JTI) and I have to say, you get plenty of time on the track and theres not much time to wait around to get bored with in between sessions.. I got over 100 minutes of track time at this event!

Also, lots of other badass cars there in all of the classes.
That's a good amount of driving for a day.

The sanctioned events like NASA don't give you quite as much time but they are a little nicer just because most guys out there have had instruction. It's not nearly as common to have a shit/scary driver out there vs an open lapping day.

The open lapping days can be a huge pain in the ass because you'll get slow drivers with fast cars and they won't ever let you pass in the straights. So youre idling around a guy with a built engine in the fun section just to lose him on the straights and get stuck behind him again. But those sessions are so nice, especially when the track is open all day except for lunch.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Literally, ive gone as far as losing interest in street legal cars after a year of track days every weekend
This is what I'm fighting myself over.

I have a 30k Mustang with plenty of parts and I can't stop dreaming about picking up an already built spec Miata. Another member on here suggested a spec ford racer and that wasn't what I needed.

I'm to the point where I'm constantly looking for a clean 7.3 and a trailer.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I still want to try it along w/real off roading, but not the slow rock crawl stuff.
Maybe once I buy my next Miata

Never_Enough

Established Member

I have a 30k Mustang with plenty of parts and I can't stop dreaming about picking up an already built spec Miata. Another member on here suggested a spec ford racer and that wasn't what I needed.

Do it. Hell, even a stock Miata will be a blast on a track.

blk02edge

Established Member

What track/s are you near and how often do you go? Im actually going to the track only route, liquidated fast cars down to a '15 focus ST that is 50% my gf's commuter and currently looking at open wheels.

That being said we have a guy that did 1000 laps in 2017 in his spec miata with nothing but 3 sets of tires, 3 sets of pads and gas/brake fluid. Thats the way id really like to go but oddly no miata club races for us in 2018/19

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
What track/s are you near and how often do you go? Im actually going to the track only route, liquidated fast cars down to a '15 focus ST that is 50% my gf's commuter and currently looking at open wheels.

That being said we have a guy that did 1000 laps in 2017 in his spec miata with nothing but 3 sets of tires, 3 sets of pads and gas/brake fluid. Thats the way id really like to go but oddly no miata club races for that spec this coming year
My home track is High Plains Raceway. It's about 45-60 min away.

Second "home track" is down in Pueblo, PMP. I'm not a big fan of that track, I don't like tracks that use drag strips as their straights. The traction level from the drag cars throws you off and if it gets wet at all it's even more confusing.

I've been out to Heartland Park a few times and that's a wonderful track, probably my favorite.

We also go out to Utah every now and then when available.

I think last year I did maybe 10-12 days total. I'd probably do more if consumables didn't consume so quickly, that's a definite plus from the small cars. It's like $170 per tire for slicks and I know from the spec guys I have talked to that they don't need to do shit to the cars all year once it's dialed in.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Went to my first track day last week at Road Atlanta in my H/C C6Z.. Definitely the most fun I have had with the car by far and it made me fall in love with it all over again in many ways.

The car ran great and didn't have any issues at all. My instructor was awesome and took me out in his brand new C7Z (Z07) for about 12 laps.

The track is so much fun! Just wanted to share with you guys and if you are considering it, don't think about it, just do it... You will be glad you did.

Cheers
I took my viper to Laguna Seca about 3 weeks ago. I've been bitten by the bug too. Do you have any videos?
I'm now planning to swap out wheels for the track, including tires and doing a big brake kit next year.

How fast did you get on the straights?

Never_Enough

Established Member
Yeah. I know.

I'd love to drive one on track before I commit.
Hop on the miata.net forum & I bet someone would be happy to show you the light. I've been on there for years. No childish bs on that forum. Mature & helpful crowd. I'm currently looking to buy my 3rd NA Miata, but I might say screw it & just forego NA Miata + big V8 toy & get an ND Miata instead. Still have to drive an ND, though. Only reservation is I fear I will miss HP.

lilcoop03

Established Member

This is the battle I am beginning to fight in my head. Im so screwed lol

Good news is my dad has a 7.3 F250 truck that never gets driven and I already have a car trailer

lilcoop03

Established Member
I took my viper to Laguna Seca about 3 weeks ago. I've been bitten by the bug too. Do you have any videos?
I'm now planning to swap out wheels for the track, including tires and doing a big brake kit next year.

How fast did you get on the straights?

Laguna Seca is no doubt a bucket list track for me! I have a couple of short videos that my dad took, I will try to upload..
I was running 135-140 on the long back straight, 120 on the front and the straight between 5 and 6. I ran most of the track in 3rd and 4th gear.

Instructor was tripping on how hard my car pulled. It didn't feel any slower than his C7Z.. I left all the nannies on since it was my first time out and every time we crested the first hill on the back straight in 4th gear my traction control would come on lol

MG01GT

Established Member
There really is nothing like some track time. Mine has been all on motorcycles and it really is something else. Makes normal driving and riding sooooo boring!! But it makes you really appreciate what your vehicle and yourself are capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread