First timer track tips?

Wayne64SS

Established Member
Hey guys, might bring my recently purchased all stock (except K&N FIPK) 03 Cobra vert to the track tonight to see what it runs. I've never run at a dragstrip before (always on the street) and would like some pointers.

Any idea of where to launch a stock cobra rpm wise? side step or feather?

i've never really beaten this thing hard yet so anything you can tell me would help greatly. I have experience launching AWD cars that don't spin so i understand the fundamentals of feathering etc.

Thanks in advance guys :beer::rockon:

03yellow

Established Member
1.Pratice dead stop take offs on a back road before you go
2.Watch the cars stage before you run .... See where they stop
3.The top little yellows light light up first when you stage edge forward till the lower set of yellows light up then stop.
4.Go around the water with street tires.
5. Just spin your tires and get staged early. Get stopped and ready. Let the other guy burn out, just make sure your staged and ready.
6. Take off on the last yellow, don't wait for green.
7. Run thru the finish before braking.
8. Let the inside lane exit the finish first or go to the last exit.
9. Have fun ... Get there early and watch others..... Let your car cool down.. Pop your hood and hang out for a while.
10. Let your car cool between runs. Your clutch needs to cool; look like a dope missing 2nd or 3rd because the clutch is too hot.

Last edited:

twhitey

Established Member
Drive it like you would when you leave a red light just a little faster. your not going to launch your car unless your on slicks or very stick dr.
Leave when the last yellow hits and shift smooth. worry about speed after you have a few runs under your belt

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
X2, what type of tires are you running?
Go easy the first run or 2...to get a hang of it...watch and learn; and be safe...

twhitey

Established Member
Great advice from the post above me, he must have been typing at the same time. A jumper wire to run the i/c pump is a good idea to help the car cool down

Wayne64SS

Established Member
ok guys the above posts are great advice. i will make a jumper wire before i leave the house. Where is the pump located to jumper it? easily reachable?

i have some shit sumitomo bullshit tires the other guy had on it. very very good advice here thanks again guys!

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Front right corner of the car, right behind the bumper.

Don't try to go fast, just try to be consistent. If you try to go fast, you will make mistakes, and you will be disapointed. My first time out with the Cobra, I only ran a best of 13.1 on crap street tires. Don't be expecting low-mid 12's like people on here magically get with their stock cars.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
VERY possible.

On the stock 17 Eagle F1's K&N and a catback I personally ran a 12..61.

A lot of people have run ALOT lower.

Jefe

Established Member
Sumi's are gonna make it ugly.....If it wheel hops, GET OFF!

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
just practice is the main thing and track prep. My car ran 8.00's at one track took it to another and got a 7.57 out of it.

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
I ran a 12.45 on goodyear eagle F1's :shrug:. I would air your tires down to 20 psi and just leave on the third light off idle, short shift first and roll into second and then if you have traction just hammer down and row thru the gears. ohh but dont power shift:nono: if you dont have a diff brace, and definitely dont try launch if you dont have a brace.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread