First Time (warning, terrible driving inside)

MrSwa

Established Member
Went to the track for the first time ever on Saturday. I need a lot more practice at this. Just need to learn that the pedal cannot go to the floor until mid-way through 2nd. Rear tires are 275 Kuhmo SXs @ 30psi.

1st Run - Launched @ 2k, bogged, then spun hard through 2nd. Did beat my buddy to the lights though.
Reaction - +0.1519
60ft - 2.370
330ft - 6.1552
594ft - 8.4570
1/8 mile - 8.9560
MPH - 90.18

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKJx0AgEz7I"]YouTube- Nick vs. Logan 3/27/10 Run 1[/ame]

2nd Run - Accidentally deep staged, Launched @ 2.5k, red light, spun through 1st
Reaction - -.1391
60ft - 2.7280
330ft - 6.4699
594ft - 8.7270
1/8 mile - 9.22930
MPH - 89.60

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmP_P8FZ5Eo"]YouTube- Nick vs. Logan 3/27/10 Run 2[/ame]

So if anyone can give me adivse I'd love to hear it. I know I really just need more time in the car at the track, but anything else you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
I just saw these runs on LS1GTO. You need a spare pair of wheels with DRs on them and both need some "driver mods." LOL. Some practice and you will drop the ETs.

MrSwa

Established Member
Driver mod is def first on the list. I have a set of Nitto DRs that came with the car, but don't have any spare wheels to mount them on. I check the market fairly often for used wheels, but I hate to buy two more stockers that weight a million pounds apiece. Plus I feel like I have more I need to learn before I move to DRs.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Honestly, you won't get any better on those tires. You can't learn to drive the car if it doesn't hook.
Buy some cheap 17" wheels, 275 MT drag radials and go practice.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1 on some DR's. I have some 99 Cobra rims that i have my track DR's mounted on. They will lower your 60' a little more but then it'll be seat time to drop it lower.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I'm not an expert at drag racing like most of the guys in this section, but I think dropping the tire pressure would help a bit with the 60 foot times.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
mickey thompsons or m&h drag radials with pressure at 17psi is the first step. more seat time is another big key. and red light doesn't make a difference in your et unless you're bracket racing so dont worry about that.

85FourEyedGT

I AM HOOK!
Established Member
Get Some real slicks, drop the hammer at 5k, traction issue solved, get yourself a full quadrant / firewall adjuster kit, shifting should be solved if your good enough

i dropped a full second off my time with those same mods

rwboring

Established Member
get an AWD car :) j/k

as stated above... tires but i think you need practice... if youve never done it before and you know your horrible (not staging correctly or not holding the RPMs) just practice...

something that might help you is try to run against someone you know and ask if you can stage first (that way you can get ready)...

i know one of the first times i went to the strip there was a modded EVO... he staged real fast and had his RPMs way up (he knew he had to get the launch)...

tires and practice... (and some other mods along the way)

jf4boogie

Established Member
Get rid of those Kuhmo Concretes asap!!

PS - If it starts to wheel hop...LET OUT!

kwlscott

Established Member
simplest advise of all just practice. guys are dead on about the drs but no matter how good you set up your suspension nothing will make you go faster like seat time, especially when you get to the point that making a pass is just a routine process. idc what anybody sais-it takes a little time @ the track to get the butterflys out. most of the guys watching can either drive well or atleast tell if YOU can or not so i tended to put extra pressure on myself early on. just keep going out there and like they said-dr's would definitely help

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Put the sandwich down between shifts...J/K. Seriously though, work on hitting gears and get some decent tires. Slipping the clutch out instead of dropping the hammer helps too.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
16" diamond racing wheels with some 26" slicks should help...I'm off tonight to the track, wish me luck

MrSwa

Established Member
I started another thread for the second time I went
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...347-2nd-time-not-terrible-driving-inside.html
but I'll repost the results in here as well

1st Run
Reaction - +.3329
60ft - 2.3262
330ft - 5.9771
594ft - 8.3009
1/8 mile - 8.8059
MPH - 89.10

2nd Run
Reaction - +.2100
60ft - 2.2019
330ft - 5.7651
594ft - 8.0077
1/8 mile - 8.4971
MPH - 91.95

3rd Run
Reaction - +.4680
60ft - 2.1849
330ft - 5.5900
594ft - 7.7891
1/8 mile - 8.2799
MPH - 91.68

Like I said in the other thread, I'm much happier with these times. I know that I still need some work, but this is more acceptable than a 8.95.

Get rid of those Kuhmo Concretes asap!!

PS - If it starts to wheel hop...LET OUT!

Wheel hop is actually still an issue for me, even with MM subframe bushings and a diff cover. I can get it hop pretty bad in 1st and 2nd, but because of all the horror stories I've read, I ALWAYS let out.

Put the sandwich down between shifts...J/K. Seriously though, work on hitting gears and get some decent tires. Slipping the clutch out instead of dropping the hammer helps too.

This is something that both the other driver in the videos and I both need to work on. After some discussion we are at a loss as to how to shift any faster. Neither one of us has any idea how to powershift, and we both feel like we're moving as fast as we can. I assume it's just a technique issue, but if anyone has any adivce I'd greatlly appreciate it.

16" diamond racing wheels with some 26" slicks should help...I'm off tonight to the track, wish me luck

This is def 1st/2nd on my list of thing to buy next (debating between track wheels/tires and an aftermarket water pump). It's just going to be awile before I have the funds to do it.

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
I'm not an expert at drag racing like most of the guys in this section, but I think dropping the tire pressure would help a bit with the 60 foot times.

Won't do much to street tires.

Trying to learn on those tires isn't going to help you at all. Only thing I can think of is shifting, which is key. But you'll be used to racing on street tires, then when you make the switch to DR's, it'll feel way different and you kind've now have to get used to how the DR's act with your car. Theres only so much that can be told to you on how to drag race. Like everyone else said, just keep going and practicing with it. It'll come around :beer:

Last edited:

NateV8

Established Member
I disagree with everyone that is saying you need DRs or slicks. Yes it will help, but obviously your driving needs a lot of work. Just with some practice you should be able to run about 2.0 60's on those tires. No offense and not being a dick but a 2.7 60', I could probably run that starting in 2nd gear on street tires.

MrSwa

Established Member
I disagree with everyone that is saying you need DRs or slicks. Yes it will help, but obviously your driving needs a lot of work. Just with some practice you should be able to run about 2.0 60's on those tires. No offense and not being a dick but a 2.7 60', I could probably run that starting in 2nd gear on street tires.

I totally understand what you're saying. In my defense, I did get a 2.18 60' the next time out. I was really hoping for a 2.0, but maybe next time.

Users who are viewing this thread