First Time pullying a motor- got some questions..

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
So like the title says it was my first time pulling the motor, however, everything went relatively smoothly. only mistake i made was not pulling the radiator before hand and it got a little banged up when pulling the motor+trans out w a cherry picker. I pulled the motor about a month and a half ago due to a seized motor. Dropped the oil pan to find tons of shavings, stripped the block and found a spun rod bearing. Crank got pretty messed up but ive been told i could probably reuse is w oversize bearings. My questions arent so much about pulling the motor but how i should go about storing the parts waiting for the build. i plan on sending the motor to mmr in march to get a built shortblock, clean up the heads ect.. My question is for these next 4-5 months, is it okay for all of the parts to be sitting out? They are laid out on my ping pong table in the basement and i am scared if dust particles will mess with anything? The long block is assembled w the heads, valve covers, S/c, oil pan ect and sitting on an engine stand, wrapped in a garbage bag. This im not too worried about because the block will be getting re-done. As far as the transmission sitting out..is this bad? i have a garbage bag around it, but it is not air tight because i was scared of any condensation messing it up. so i guess my ultimate question is how do i store the transmission safely so i dont run into any problems when dropping the motor back in. this will also be my first time installing a motor so any hints and/or tricks you guys have would be greatly appreciated. sorry for making this so long guys, and thanks for any help :beer:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
does your basement have a lot of moisture in it?

i would suggest if it does that your either store the engine in a different location or get a dehumidifer.

besides that sometimes spraying a little wd-40 on the metal parts will also help to keep surface rust from forming.

when mmr gets the parts im sure they will be cleaned so i would'nt stress to much about this.

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
it does as a matter of fact have a lot of moisture. and i do have a dehumidifier running. like i said im not so much worried about the engine because its gonna get redone. more so worried about the transmission getting messed up, since its not going to be getting re-worked.

also another question. im running stock flywheel and spec 3 clutch. the clutch has around 6k on it and the car has 70k. do i have to get the flywheel resurfaced before dropping the motor back in? i not to educated in this area, but working on it. thanks for any help

Users who are viewing this thread