First time motorcycle

hoamskilet

Established Member
With the price of diesel approaching 5 ****ing dollars a gallon, I'm tossing around the idea of picking up a cheap used motorcycle to drive around day to day to save on fuel costs and miles on my truck.

I've never ridden before, so I plan on taking an MSF course and getting my license that way.

Anybody have any tips for a good first time bike? I plan on keeping it under 600 cc's being a first time rider, plus trying to keep insurance costs down and do better on fuel mileage. I see a lot of smaller displacement Ninja's and CBR's for sale, but not sure if I want a bike that I have to be hunched over on. I don't have a long commute to work or anything, but still want it to be somewhat comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
With the price of diesel approaching 5 ****ing dollars a gallon, I'm tossing around the idea of picking up a cheap used motorcycle to drive around day to day to save on fuel costs and miles on my truck.

I've never ridden before, so I plan on taking an MSF course and getting my license that way.

Anybody have any tips for a good first time bike? I plan on keeping it under 600 cc's being a first time rider, plus trying to keep insurance costs down and do better on fuel mileage. I see a lot of smaller displacement Ninja's and CBR's for sale, but not sure if I want a bike that I have to be hunched over on. I don't have a long commute to work or anything, but still want it to be somewhat comfortable.

There is no such thing as comfort on a small sport bike after 30-45mins. If you want comfort you’re going to need to consider a cruiser.

If you want to save fuel/insurance and that’s the only reason for 2wheels, I would consider a smaller fuel efficient car. You’ll be much better off.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Cheap and easy to ride.. Used market not sure how crazy they are...

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
There is no such thing as comfort on a small sport bike after 30-45mins. If you want comfort you’re going to need to consider a cruiser.

If you want to save fuel/insurance and that’s the only reason for 2wheels, I would consider a smaller fuel efficient car. You’ll be much better off.

Sport Nakes like an S1000r or Ducati Streetfighter ... Super comfortable and fast

hoamskilet

Established Member

Initially started thinking about a small fuel efficient car, but i really don't have anywhere to put another car, whereas a bike I can still fit in the garage. Plus anything around 2500-3k right now is a pile of garbage and still will get worse mileage than a bike.

Most of its use right now probably wouldn't be over 30ish minutes at a time.

Tezz500

Established Member
Initially started thinking about a small fuel efficient car, but i really don't have anywhere to put another car, whereas a bike I can still fit in the garage. Plus anything around 2500-3k right now is a pile of garbage and still will get worse mileage than a bike.

Most of its use right now probably wouldn't be over 30ish minutes at a time.

3k budget is gonna be rough…

hoamskilet

Established Member
ZX10R with all the BS nannies disabled.
Also, don't buy any gear as that's weight and hurts MPGs.

In all seriousness, what's the budget for the bike?
How often does it rain where you live?
How retarded are the drivers there?

Looking to keep it at 3k or less for now. Really just looking for something to learn on and see how much I enjoy it.

I'm in a relatively rural community in Northern IL. Drivers aren't too crazy. Rain is sporadic....many more clear/dry days than rainy ones, especially in the summer

Tezz500

Established Member
Nah. I had never ridden before. I went:

954RR
R1
ZX10R
RC8R

No issues.

I'd never been on the track before I took my 2008 ACR.

You’re lucky and in the very small minority.

Two types of riders. Those who have been down and those who will go down.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You’re lucky and in the very small minority.

Two types of riders. Those who have been down and those who will go down.

Not disagreeing with you.

I stopped riding a few years back when I lost the fun factor when people would drive like idiots around me.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
This is my first bike. It was a used Yamaha V-Star 1100.
Bike_At_Battleship.jpg

hoamskilet

Established Member
Don't skimp on safety gear. Have you done the math to justify your bike purchase? Have you attempted improving mpg on your current vehicle by actually learning to drive it with fuel economy in mind?
I have an 05 F250 6.0....theres not much I'm gonna be able to do to improve mileage that much lol. Would love to get a newer truck that gets better mileage, but I don't really wanna sell a kidney at the moment. Need the truck still to pull our camper and sleds

Users who are viewing this thread