First Time Horror

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
I'm new to the board but I’m in process of buying an '03 Cobra (crosses his fingers). I'd like to say I hope everything works out for racerat (i hope i got her ID right) for what happened..it seems to be an all too familiar situation among dealerships lately. My post is in regards to what i went thru with my '02 GT. I'll make it as short as possible. I love the color red for a car especially a high performance one. The dealership I went to told me they found one with about 8 miles and that they would do a swap for it. I was thinking, fine, (btw, this was the first time I ever bought a new car), go for it. I got to the dealership early becos of the excitement and I saw the car and it looked like it went thru a mud pit. No big deal I was thinking..they got it all cleaned-up and it looked 100% perfect. But then two things contractually that happened..i gave them a $10,000 deposit which they wrote off as $8,000..where the hell did the other $2,000 go?:gt: REPRINT! They laughed it off as an accountant error..ummm yeah sure. Next was the financing process..we agreed at it being 4.2% approximately. As he was printing it up I asked him again the % we agreed upon he smiled and said yup it's all here! I go to look at it and it said 8.9% :gt: I got annoyed with this and asked them if they were a certified Ford Dealer or certified thieves.

With everything settled now and not being able to wait to get away from there..i get in my car and drive home. The next day is clear and sunny..i pull the car out of the garage to admire the car and....oh hell....two dull silver dollar sized blemishes on the hood of the car..nothing would take it out. :cuss: I'm like damn let me see the interior better..looked around, everything seems cool. Then I see some dried up blotches in the large cup holder..right away thinking it was from what ever cleanup solution they used..lift it up and.. :??: ..coffee! :fm: Someone drank coffee in that car while driving it to the dealership..looked at the odometer, thought it said 10 miles..push the button and it really shows 56 miles?!?! I was looking at the miles elapsed previously. Took the car, drove it back told them everything....,"Sorry u should have inspected the car better." ....Now I know it was my fault, I was stupid, i was overly excited that it was going to be my first new car..my fault. But I went there in good faith, trusting them..anyway..the sales manager saw the commotion and did everything to make it better. He was sincere and polite which I appreciated but they wouldn't tell me who drove the car. I call back two days later and asked to speak to the salesperson who worked out the deal with me if they could get me a locking gas cap..i come to find out they fired that salesperson..i guess I know who drove it.

Unfortunately, I’ve never been able to enjoy the car..to me it feels tainted and abused. Last week I passed by the dealership and as i drove by there it was..the first time i saw an '03 Cobra in New Jersey, i see tons of GT's but never saw an '03 Cobra yet in NJ..i can see y everyone here who owns one is in love with them. The car speaks for itself without even turning it on. Made a u-turn..went in..they all recognized me and smiled (what is it with the smiling?..it's creepy), told them i wanted to swap and get a '03 Cobra in Torch Red. T'Red is no longer available :shrug: They said they can call up other dealerships to find one for me. (AH HELL HERE WE GO AGAIN). This time they told me where it was, so i drove down to look at it..no mileage other than driving it off the truck. Now the problem is the production date is from June. I assume that's the dreaded 80 MPH vibe issue and pulling to the right? I told them my concerns which they said they never heard of and i can't test drive it becos it's not theirs to do so unless the swap is made. So now I’m waiting for the call becos the other dealership hasn't ok'ed the swap yet, but they said it's 95% sure that they'll swap. They've basically got me becos of the fact Torch Red isn't available anymore and that's the only color i want. I really dunno what to do anymore..sorry for the long post and thanks for letting me vent.

magnum4000

Established Member
Don't freak out because of the production date :cryying:

Mine was one of the first made, and I have no pull, and no vibration. I do have a door panel that rattles at speed, and I think the paint is too thin, but hey, no matter what you do you're likely to find a couple of things on a new model introduction.

:kaboom:

If you want it, go get it - don't decide based on production date.

Good Luck!
:beer:

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by magnum4000
Don't freak out because of the production date :cryying:

Mine was one of the first made, and I have no pull, and no vibration. I do have a door panel that rattles at speed, and I think the paint is too thin, but hey, no matter what you do you're likely to find a couple of things on a new model introduction.

:kaboom:

If you want it, go get it - don't decide based on production date.

Good Luck!

New model :lol: they have has since 99 to make this car quality, they just don't care. I have noticed my paint could have used a few more coats in some places. :cuss:

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Aside from Tracy (and this is our worst nightmare), is paint going to be the new "thing" to talk about...why not.

I just got finished detailing my car (no work due to Isidore...20.00in of rain) and low and behold there are at least 20-30 chips of paint across the hood. The chips are not just in front, but even at the top of the hood, close the the wipers. Absolutely, could have used a few more coats of paint.

Xplicit:
My production date was 6\24 and I had the vibe and the pull. If you really want the t. red, go to the SVT website and do a search of the SVT dealers in your area, call them and maybe they still have one available.

darkhorse

Established Member
I wanted either Torch Red or Black. Then I saw the metallic paint in the Dark Shadow Gray and that was it. Easier to keep clean, doesn't cry out to the cops like red and the color is classy as well as stealth. The DSG is also a second run color. This may not have anything to do with it, but it had no quirks like the first cars seemed to have.
It's a great car but a lot of cash to put down on something and hope it's okay.
The Torch Red is beautiful though.

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Thx for the info. I guess no matter what there r going to be cars that need to be fixed out of production for any brand. I wouldn't be hesitating if i knew they still offered T'Red for the next batch..i'm still wondering why they discontinued the color. And that same Ford Dealer had a Mustang Show last weekend and i'd say 70% of the Mustangs were red..really strange to stop that color. About the thin paint..the GT i have has a tiny scratch on the right fender..got it from my friend catching it with the zipper of his jacket, real light touch..so i dunno how much of a difference the coats are between batches or models. About having since '99 to do right..so true.

The dealership i went to is on Rt. 10..there r several of them on that route if you're familiar with Northern Jersey..all with good reps from what i hear..but then again u never hear of the horror stories..only the good ones. lol, just saw your sig TNT..we have way too many ricers in NJ driving Integras, Jettas in parts of Livingston, Ledgewood, Crandford, Summit. I saw a Stang with a personalized frame saying, "Today's Special - Cooked Rice.".sweet mods he had.

I'll give the Dealership one more chance on the '03 Cobra..the black one i test drove was perfect..production date was August. I've seen the Sonic Blue, T'Red, Dark Shad Grey, Silver Satin, Black..at other dealerships..wanted to see the Zinc Yellow but reds calling me. byevette..i saw your pics some time back..one of the reasons i wanted that color for the Cobra. Unless i signed up late and never saw it, was there ever a thread of '03 Cobra owners that listed whether or not they had any problems with their car? I'd wait until '05 but from what i've seen in concept drawings..i'm not crazy about how they're going to look. I think the style they have now is standout..ppl always seem to notice a mustang..i even find myself looking at them all the time.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Xplicit,
Before you decide, have you seen the replacement for the Torch Red? It is Redfire. Very similiar to a candy apple red with metalflake. I haven't seen them side by side yet, but the Redfire is a little darker, I think.
At least look at it. There aren't many out there yet. I am probably one of the first/only ones in this area with one. I really like the color, especially in the sun.

Dana

DigitalMan

Originally posted by Dana
Xplicit,
Before you decide, have you seen the replacement for the Torch Red? It is Redfire. Very similiar to a candy apple red with metalflake. I haven't seen them side by side yet, but the Redfire is a little darker, I think.
At least look at it. There aren't many out there yet. I am probably one of the first/only ones in this area with one. I really like the color, especially in the sun.

Dana

Here's a pic I took of a Redfire!
pow.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread