First time ever

WaffleMan

Established Member
Well took my car to the test and tune at the local drag strip today. Never been to a track in my life. Watched a few cars go then I got in the staging lanes. My first pass was 11.89 @128.6mph with a 2.18 60ft. My second pass I let some air out of my et street radials and tried to launch a bit harder, wheel hop like crazy and BOOM, passenger side halfshaft let go. Got too greedy I guess. Had a great time and will definitely be going back in the spring with some bias ply tires and see if I can't get some 10s!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Sorry to hear that the broken half shaft cut your track visit short. Been there, done that. The drag radials can be half shaft killers for sure. Once I went with slicks, never had another issue. They are not hard to change out. Second time I broke one, took me 45 minutes to install a new one and got in two more runs.

WaffleMan

Established Member
Was thinking getting some 16x10 wheels with some m&h cheater slicks since the et streets are discontinued. Would those be good enough to allow stock halfshafts to handle handle high rpm clutch dumps or a two stepped full boost clutch dump?

Speedboosted

Established Member
Was thinking getting some 16x10 wheels with some m&h cheater slicks since the et streets are discontinued. Would those be good enough to allow stock halfshafts to handle handle high rpm clutch dumps or a two stepped full boost clutch dump?

They'll be easier on them, yes. Everything will eventually break, but having the bias ply will prolong the suffering lol

IronTerp

I did the 16" rear wheel thing for a bit. Just not much available there. went ahead and shaved the tie rod (did a much cleaner job than the pirated picture below), and went 15" rims and slicks. Plenty of options in 15".

tierodshaved34cf.jpg

tierodshaved28ke.jpg

IronTerp

I hear ya! Seems like yesterday. Took us awhile to figure out how to get these cars to really scoot with 6 speed/IRS! But once it happened, bunch of fellas jumped on board....

WaffleMan

Established Member
Grinding the tie rod is intimidating, I've seen some that took a ton of material off. Is there a specific 15" you guys used that didn't require that much grinding? The 16" route just seems cheap and easy for now, but I wouldn't mind going with 15s if it wasn't too hard

IronTerp

No, they all require the same amount of material removal. I spent some time on mine and painted everything black. Could hardly tell it had been done.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I hear ya! Seems like yesterday. Took us awhile to figure out how to get these cars to really scoot with 6 speed/IRS! But once it happened, bunch of fellas jumped on board....

Yep. Really crazy to think that within a week or two I will have had my car for 8 years!

Users who are viewing this thread