first time drag racing

blksnakebite97

Established Member
I went to Lebanon valley drag way last night with a friend, i have a 97 cobra my modifications are CAI, O/R x-pipe, flowmaster muffs, Msd Coils, and Mgw short throw. I talked to a few pro's there that led me in the wrong direction at first, my first run I spun too much in first but it wasnt terrible, but then I took a guys advice in slamming second as fast as i can because the track is stickier than the street, I went sideways from 50-65 mph, which threw me off and made me granny into 3rd, resulting in a 17.89:shrug: at 85:burn:. but I think if had a decent finish my second 2 were about 14.6 one with a .04 reaction time. And my last run i pulled out a 14.1 with a .5 reaction time. had trouble hooking up in second every time. It was still a blast, and I am trying to prepare for next spring, this is what I have decided on 4.10's in my room ready to be installed, looking for DR's but dong know what size rim to put them on 17/9 or 15/8, tuner, and help with minor suspension work that will improve my times but will still be able to drive on streets. thanks

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
First time is always fun. On the launch try to pre-load the car. Lift up on the clutch just before the car starts to move. Then when the light comes down do a quick release and give it gas. A DR that will last a little longer would be the Nitto 555r's. 275/40/17 will fit perfect on stock rims. You can always disconnect the front swap bar for the track only. This will drastically increase weight transfer. -Mark

blksnakebite97

Established Member
First time is always fun. On the launch try to pre-load the car. Lift up on the clutch just before the car starts to move. Then when the light comes down do a quick release and give it gas. A DR that will last a little longer would be the Nitto 555r's. 275/40/17 will fit perfect on stock rims. You can always disconnect the front swap bar for the track only. This will drastically increase weight transfer. -Mark

thanks alot that an answer i was looking for, I was thinking next year i will do a few weight reductions, i ran it like i do every day last night, next year i will take out the sway bar, spare/jack, rear seat, and maybe passenger seat. Just curious how did you run high 11's and what mods do you have to get to 325 rwhp?

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
thanks alot that an answer i was looking for, I was thinking next year i will do a few weight reductions, i ran it like i do every day last night, next year i will take out the sway bar, spare/jack, rear seat, and maybe passenger seat. Just curious how did you run high 11's and what mods do you have to get to 325 rwhp?

All the bolt-ons you can do, shortrunner intake, lots of weight reduction, and a hard launch. The valve covers have never been taken off.

-Mark

blksnakebite97

Established Member

blksnakebite97

Established Member

Animalmutha97

My mom says I'm cool
Established Member
On the launch try to pre-load the car. Lift up on the clutch just before the car starts to move. Then when the light comes down do a quick release and give it gas.

+1. This is the way I left the line with mine. Drag radials will definetly help especially once you put the 4.10's in the rear. i went a 13.5 @ 104 on street tires (non dr) with mine. It had o/r h-pipe, mac catback, pro 5.0 shifter and 3.73's. That was with a 2.1 60'. Good luck with yours and have fun!!

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
That and being a hulluva driver with loads of practice helps

Ya well I try not to toot my own horn but yes lots of practice.

how do those tires look

Yep. Those are the nitto DR's (the first one). There are other DR's out there that will hook harder but they don't last near as long. And I'm not the type to buy tires every 4-5 months.

Users who are viewing this thread