First Time at Track. Need Pointers!

Blk04Snake

Established Member
[youtube_browser]KsTM3va9AsY&ap=%2526fmt%3D22[/youtube_browser]

Went to the dragstrip in Cicero, NY today and ran the car for the first time. I know the sound is spotty on my buddy's camera but anyway it ran [email protected] and we all know a modded Terminator should be in the 12s or faster..

I would have kept trying but the clouds rolled in and it started pouring around 3pm so that ended the day at the dragstrip.

So.. In a nutshell what simple car mods and driver mods can I do to get that result? I know drag radials (but dunno which brand?) , Billetflow brace, Bruce's kit and MGW shifter are at the top of my shopping list. I have Steeda Tri-Ax now.

Thanks.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
What are you shifting at? My car with a 2.93/cai/tune/mid pipe/catback went 12.2 @ 117mph down here in warm Florida on 315's (non dr's).

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
Do you DD the car?? If no, get you a M/T drag radial. If you do I'd a Nitto only b/c they'll last longer but at the track you'll REALLY need to get them hot to hook. You could also buy a set of 15" wheel and throw on a set of Hoosier or ET streets. 6k seems a little early...has the car been tuned when does it stop pulling? It just takes practice to find out how your car responds.

Ace5Oh

Established Member
Mt' Dr's and practice. I ran a 8.5 @ 85 on the local 1/8th track on street tires bone stock. Just takes practice man. You'll get there. Now im ready to try the 1/4.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Getting the ET down is all in the launch. Don't rush anything. Get the rev's up and don't be in a hurry to let the clutch out all the way. Ride the clutch some and apply the throttle smoothly. If you bog (like at 0:18 in your video), you either need to get the rpms on the launch, or you came off the clutch too quick. Listen and you'll hear the rpms come down some, then rev back up. If you were on the clutch a hair longer you can smooth that out and stay in the powerband. Ride that clutch a little.

Small hiccups at the beginning of a run will ruin your ET.

As mentioned earlier, trying to make a modified cobra hook on street tires is a bear for anybody. Especially for a beginner.

Last edited:

ls1eater

Established Member
If the volume didn't cut out, might be able to tell a little more, 60' look like it was slow, but keep working on it and you'll get it down. I ran 12.2 @ 114 in FL with just intake, tune and nittos in my old 03 cobra, so you should be in the 11's with practice. GL

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Thanks everyone.

What's a good 60' to work towards? I was running around 2.5 give or take a tenth or two for all 5 passes I made.

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
Thanks everyone.

What's a good 60' to work towards? I was running around 2.5 give or take a tenth or two for all 5 passes I made.

With a good set of tires you want to be 1.6-1.8 range

NateV8

Established Member
Good 60' on street tires is around 1.9-2.0, I've seen some 1.8s though. Don't worry about modding up the car any more you just need more practice. With your mods and good driving you could be running high 11s on street tires.

Users who are viewing this thread