first time at the track with my 14' 5.0

SL0W5.0

Established Member
first off hello everyone this is my first post here on SVT, ive been reading up a lot on here and seems like a very good discussion board, i look forward to being an active member here and learning a couple things along the way.
this is the very first time i ever took a manual trans down the strip in fact i have only been driving stick for 2 months haha. last time i ran was in my old automatic jetta.

so, yesterday i went the strip with my 14' track pack 5.0 (roush axleback and barton shifter bracket are the only mods) i ran 3 times and all 3 runs were 13.0 at 110.7 mph, no joke all three passes were within .07 seconds and .04 mph talk about consistency lol. i have an issue tho, it seems like with my 3.73 gears 4th ends at 110.7mph and that is right before the finish so when i tried to shift to 5 i atually lost 1.5 mph but the et stayed the same because that was the best launch i managed. how are you guys with the 3.73 shifting? like what rpms, because i tried to shift at 7k as fast as i could and when i get to 110 it just stops pulling.
i have a jlt intake and sct tuner on the way and hopefully that will raise the limiter just enough to finish in 4 and not stop accelerating? i also plan on picking up some radials and get the tallest ones that i can fit to counteract the short gears.

i ran at bradenton motorsports park which is sea level pretty much and temps were mid 80's. the track was pretty empty so the car never sat idling and intake temps were reasonable

below are my slips im car 73. i did have some fun beating a couple m3, gti's and 335i's

http://i.imgur.com/NeE24Fj.jpg

VIDEO HERE!
2014 mustang gt drag racing against mk6 gti, e46 m3, 335i - YouTube

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
I was there yesterday and had my best run shifting around 6 to 6.5k. I was going off the advice of others who have actually dyno'd their cars and found power loss above that. It also seems to be in 5th long enough to make a difference, if that makes sense, rather than shifting into 5th for a millisecond before crossing the line. I borrowed a gopro for my 3rd run ever on a 1/4 mile so cut me some slack on the lack of burnout and apparently I needed to mount the gopro higher but it at least shows the shifting into 5th earlier point I'm trying to make. Skip to :34 and watch from there. Steve's Run - YouTube

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Best time of 13.0 flat? ouch!!
Might as well stick with those Euro cars man. :poke:

lol, just kidding dude. Nice runs, with seat time these cars can crack 12's.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
After re-reading your post, yes, taller tires and raising the rev limiter with a tune will probably work better than my suggestion. I probably should have just kept my mouth shut as I'm new to drag racing. Just trying to help. But the short shifting netted me a 12.89 @ 111.67. I'm hooked and can't wait to get back out. I think I bruised some ego's after they watched me scuff the tires or bog my burnout attempt only to beat them to the line at the end. It was a blast and I'm going back as often as I can.

Last edited:

SL0W5.0

Established Member
Best time of 13.0 flat? ouch!!
Might as well stick with those Euro cars man. :poke:

lol, just kidding dude. Nice runs, with seat time these cars can crack 12's.

hey ive only been driving stick for 2 months! :shrug:

i was pretty happy with 13.0 considering i coasted thru the finish lol

SL0W5.0

Established Member
I was there yesterday and had my best run shifting around 6 to 6.5k. I was going off the advice of others who have actually dyno'd their cars and found power loss above that. It also seems to be in 5th long enough to make a difference, if that makes sense, rather than shifting into 5th for a millisecond before crossing the line. I borrowed a gopro for my 3rd run ever on a 1/4 mile so cut me some slack on the lack of burnout and apparently I needed to mount the gopro higher but it at least shows the shifting into 5th earlier point I'm trying to make. Skip to :34 and watch from there. Steve's Run - YouTube

thanks for the advice! you went to bradenton? let me know when you go id love to go out and run again
and nice runs! yesterday it was pretty cool temps right? it was like 90 when i ran

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
Yep it was nice and cool yesterday but still ened up with a sunburn. Gotta love Florida weather. I'll shoot you a PM next time we go. It's me and my two buddies who are all new to drag racing so its fun taking runs, comparing slips and trying to figure out what to do to run better. It's the blind leading the blind but we are getting better and its a blast.

SL0W5.0

Established Member
Yep it was nice and cool yesterday but still ened up with a sunburn. Gotta love Florida weather. I'll shoot you a PM next time we go. It's me and my two buddies who are all new to drag racing so its fun taking runs, comparing slips and trying to figure out what to do to run better. It's the blind leading the blind but we are getting better and its a blast.

yes sir! look forward to meeting up

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
A couple of us guys are going over to showtime dragstrip tonight. It's only a 1/8 th but its close by. It's open 5pm till 10:30 and might be pretty busy being a holiday weekend so we are trying to get there as close to 5 as possible. If anybody else wants to go it would be cool to meet up. If not we'll shoot for Bradenton in early December.

Elwood617

Established Member
With the stock manifold, power starts to drop off at 6500. When my car was stock, I would slip the clutch at 3 to 3.5k and shift at 6500. I had to shift into 5th just before the line. Before I started modding, I got a 1.9 60ft and 12.69 at 112 in my stock car. Work on that launch :)

It only took me a couple of times at the track to get hooked with drag racing :)

burke985

Established Member
Get you a boss intake and AED tune , your car will make power all the way to 7500 and you will get about 122-24 out of 4th. I went 12.39 118mph on my shitty street tires when my car was NA and had 3.73's and I never shifted out of 4th with that combo. My time actually should have been much better but dragstrips and Street tires don't mix.

SL0W5.0

Established Member
again, thanks for the input guys, i was looking at a boss manifold but eventually the car is getting a roush s/c, so i will use those $500 for springs, upper/lower control arms and adjustable panhard bar.

A couple of us guys are going over to showtime dragstrip tonight. It's only a 1/8 th but its close by. It's open 5pm till 10:30 and might be pretty busy being a holiday weekend so we are trying to get there as close to 5 as possible. If anybody else wants to go it would be cool to meet up. If not we'll shoot for Bradenton in early December.

damn, i read this too late. how did you guys do?

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
You're gonna love the ride after that suspension work. I did all that a couple of months ago, springs, dampers, UCA, LCA, PHB and its just so much better. No wheel hop ever. Cornering is so much better.
I tried sending you a PM twice but my phone wouldn't do it for some reason. That's why I posted it here. Sorry bout that. It was a good time. There was never more than 4 cars in line. We ran 16 times. It was a lot of fun. Some eBay turbo'd miata beat my buddies 2001 Z06. He was pissed and went home and ordered parts. Lol.
My 60 ft times suck. I have Steeda sport springs, koni Str.t's and nitto 555's. Still learning how to find the ideal launch without spinning through first and second.
image_zpsb481c7eb.jpg

Last edited:

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
Yeah it's only 1/8 but when we went to Bradenton I got 5 runs in 6 hours. At showtime its pretty much as many and often as you want. Plus launching and the 60 ft times are what I need work on. At least that's what I tell myself because its not as fun as running the full 1/4 mile.

Users who are viewing this thread