First time at the track with cobra, advice on driving?

mrmustangman357

Established Member
So, took my 99 cobra to the track for the first time at Cordova dragstrip. The car has a CAI, X pipe, and magnaflow catback and an MGW shifter and that's it. Track prep was good, but I was launching on hard street tires.
First run out: launched feathered it out at 3200 rpm, shifting at 6800: 14.407 @99.8 mph; 2.35 60ft
WHAT??
These cars are supposed to be mid 13 second cars off the street right?
Second run: launched feathered out at 4500, shifting at 6500: 14.054 @100.8 mph; 2.20 60ft

I couldn't make a third run that night but had fun. I found out shifting earlier helps keep it in the powerband and a better launch would help. Any ideas?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I found out shifting earlier helps keep it in the powerband

How did you find this out?

It normally isn't so and especially with stock gears. You're gonna need the RPMs up there.

You're gonna have to play with launch RPMs more till you find something that works.
Start ~2500 and work up.
You got the clutch feathering idea right.

Tire pressure on street tires, don't let much out or they will hump in the middle and lose contact patch.

A_Law

Established Member
our cobras are rated at 13.8 stock in the quarter..and if your just an average joe that has never raced before your not going to be running 13.8. when my car was stock best run was a 14.2something. I was only launching at 2500rpm..just enough to drop the clutch to get the tires to spin some without ridiculous wheel hop. After my mods, bassani o/r x, slp catback, 4.10 gears, jlt cold air and tune with nitto 555 street tires, my best was a 13.18...and i was still launching at only 2500 bc of wheel hop/traction issues.

Jamie R.

Established Member
A. law congrats and I'm glad you are taking yours to 6800 to the most out of it. These cars when drivin correctly and really getting on top of the shifter will go, but you have to be able to not lift that foot off the gas pedal. As I said, mrmustang357, they will run, I ran a 13.50 my first pass ever in my car and by the night was over I had a high 13.20something. My best on the 245/45/17 street tires was a 13.08 and that was with the stock 3.27 gear/irs. I put the dr's on and hit a 12.81 again with the stock gear/irs. My previous best with a 4.30/irs is a 12.45. Oh yeah, shifting at 6800 not letting my foot off the gas:burnout:

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

A_Law

Established Member
Damn Jamie R lol 13.08 is hard to believe with a completely stock cobra?? Even the little things can help with your quarter such as fresh oil change, clean air filter, plugs, etc. Track conditions, weather, elevation it all adds up.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
My first runs in mine where 13.8's at 100 or 103 mph. stock with just a K&N filter lol and straight pipes in place of mufflers shifting at 6800rpm. Havent been back since mod's in sig. I snapped an axle wheelhopping bad I want to go back but need to figure out launching better I was doing it at 2500rpm the first time out bumped up to 3000rpm and broke it had bad wheel hop I heard feathering out the clutch helps is that correct? I didnt dump the clutch just let out and go. But think I hurt it instead of doing burnouts gave a quick drop of the clutch around the water box for the tires to warm up quick stupid me I know.

Jamie R.

Established Member
I never said completely stock, just stock 3.27 gear/irs. My mods were : Bassani cb,Bassani catted x pipe, Steeda shifter, Steeda sport lowering springs, jlt cai, predator with a tune and the car made 300 at the tires. Now I did hit the 13.20's with no tune and the car was making 284 then.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

mrmustangman357

Established Member
I was running 32 lbs in front and 28 lbs in rear on stock street tires. The car has 3.55 gears also but it has a taller tire (255/45-17) so it isn't as much of a gain. The car was also at operating temp. Needs a tune lol

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
Your running times very similar to ours. We're at 4500ft 7500 air desity.

What is your elevation?

Also when you launch try not to shock the tires with to much RPM, come out gentle. You'd be surprised how much it can help your 60'.

JaCobra

Eaton Powered
Established Member
What kind of 1/8 mile times. were you running. With a off road h pipe flowmasters and a k&n filter i ran a best of 8.35 @ 84 mph with a 1.85 60 foot time on street tires. You need to get your 60 foot time down and you should run some good times.

Users who are viewing this thread