First Time at the Track (Video)

danponjican

Established Member
So I decided to go to ZMAX here in Charlotte, NC for a test and tune last night to get a baseline on my bone stock 2011 GT (M6, 3.73). Track was very well prepped but I was still having trouble launching. I do have Nitto 555s (not the R DRs). The hooked better than I thought they would but I still had a really hard time balancing the launch between completed breaking loose and bogging a bit. Then I missed shifts, got caught sleeping... just overall didn't have a good night. Best I managed was a 13.0 @ 110mph with a 2.0 60'. I was so frustrated that I couldn't get into the 12s. I know if I could but a 1.9 60' or better and not miss anything else stupid it would be there, but alas, last night wasn't my night.

First Time Down the 1/4 in 2011 Mustang GT - YouTube

2011 Mustang GT vs 2012 Subaru STI - YouTube

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Not bad for first time on street tires. You'll get there. Every time I go it seems like something is holding me back. Im gonna try to make it to Zmax one of these days, not too far from me.

White608

Go faster
Established Member
Nicest track I've been to for sure! I've been to Englishtown, Atco, Cecil and Rockingham.

decent times for 1st trip

lol cause its new all those other places are so old (havent been to Atco)

Bristol and Norwalk are pretty nice. Motormile would be nice if they would do some pit area work and it's 1/8mi

brock04gt

Established Member
decent times for 1st trip

lol cause its new all those other places are so old (havent been to Atco)

Bristol and Norwalk are pretty nice. Motormile would be nice if they would do some pit area work and it's 1/8mi

Have u had ur 5.0 at Bristol and ZMAX I plan on heading to ZMAX on the 29th and at Bristol I ran 13.0@111 stock just wondering if the track is any faster than Bristol?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Looked like you went around the water box and didn't even clean the tires? That can't be helping.

White608

Go faster
Established Member
What's the deal with the cones before the beams ?

Have u had ur 5.0 at Bristol and ZMAX I plan on heading to ZMAX on the 29th and at Bristol I ran 13.0@111 stock just wondering if the track is any faster than Bristol?

I've only had my 5.0 to one track. We use to race sportsman classes H/R S/R and run some big bracket races, haven't been to all of them but several.

I've not been to Zmax.. Bristol slower than most of the tracks I've been to It's a really nice place tho. Most of the southern (NC SC) tracks are pretty quick but there mostly 1/8 mi.

Go to dragtimes and figure out the DA from when you ran at Zmax, and for the same day/time at Bristol.

Last edited:

danponjican

Established Member
Looked like you went around the water box and didn't even clean the tires? That can't be helping.

I tried going through the water on one pass and did a second gear burnout. Managed a 2.0 60' time but didn't shift into 5th in the traps so it hurt me.

AnthonyNoz

Established Member
Not bad for the first time, is it true atco is a shorter track? Everyone brags about their times at atco i want to go lol

F2kmech

Established Member
I was there that night. Hopefully the next one will go better no thanks to that crazy fast Corvette that lost the engine at the end of the track (you can see the clean-up powder on the second video). I only got two runs the whole night and never got to watch. A friend got some other Mustangs on video and you may be on there...I will check. I'm on the hunt for 11's and trying to still figure out my MT ET Streets. You should be in the mid to high 12's with a few more runs under your belt.

Dasaliac03

TWINscrewed
Established Member
He didn't loose his engine. Blew a radiator hose off and caused a HUGE mess!

Thought I recognized some of the cars down there! I was running around with a friend of mine in his Jet Stream Blue vette!

danponjican

Established Member
Here are my time slips (2 best). One on the left is my second run. Not the best launch (bogged). One on the left I heated up the tires and hooked better but still bogged (not enough rpm) but then I tried not shifting in the traps (killed my MPH).

IMG_20120611_114643-vi.jpg

stang8psi

Established Member
you must be on a smaller than stock size tire to be shifting into 5th as early as you did on the first video! And The mph is kind of low regardless of the 4th vs 5th shift should be in the 111-113 range

danponjican

Established Member
My overall tire dia is a bit smaller. I have this tire/wheel combo from LMR (link). The tires are Nitto 555s @ 275/35/19. According to my calculations, that puts me at an over diameter of 26.58". I think stock is 27.68" so I am over an inch smaller in diameter.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Nicest track I've been to for sure! I've been to Englishtown, Atco, Cecil and Rockingham.

Zmax is definitely an outstanding strip, quite possibly the nicest in the country, certainly the only 4 lane'r. However, Rockingham is a much faster strip, always has lower DA and lower sea level by 400ft+. I ran 4mph faster in Rockingham compared to Concord, 2 weeks apart.

DA at Zmax on Friday was +1866ft, not bad but not great. You'll probably see a 2-3mph gain in better weather, go to The Rock in Oct/Nov and you'll see negative DA. Work on that launch and shifting and your times will drop. I might come out to Zmax at the end of the month, but I know I won't run my best times till the end of the year at The Rock.

Users who are viewing this thread