First time at the track help

WaffleMan

Established Member
Hey guys, going to the track this weekend with some friends. I have never been before and was just wanting some tips from you guys so I don't make a fool of myself. I have spec 3+ with aluminum flywheel on stock irs and 315/35/17 mt et street radial 2 on 17x10.5 replicas. I have heard my clutch and tire combo is great at breaking halfshafts, and I really don't want to break anything. So I have a few questions:

How should I launch?

Should I buy a set of et streets instead and run them on my stock 17x9s? Is that ok with street tires up front?

Should I run my 3.0 pulley instead of my 2.6 so as to have less power to learn on?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Yep, half shafts won't be happy with that combo. Key is to come out semi easy so you don't break one. More fun to be mobile than to cut a killer 60' on the irs with those drag radials.

Titan 5.0

Established Member
Take it slow on your first runs... start off with low RPM launches until you get the hang of it and feel out the car. Don't get out there and dump the clutch at 4K and you should be fine.

Increase your RPM 500 or so at a time until you feel comfortable.

I would take the car to the track before spending money on anything, don't be too hard on it and then decide after what can be improved... tires, half shafts, pullies, etc. You'll learn a lot after a few runs on what can be improved or turned down.

WaffleMan

Established Member
Well I went and did a [email protected] with a 2.18 60ft. My second pass tried to launch a little harder with less tire pressure and it wheel hopped and I snapped the passenger halfshaft. Got greedy. Was a blast and I'll be sure to get some bias ply tires for next time

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Well I went and did a [email protected] with a 2.18 60ft. My second pass tried to launch a little harder with less tire pressure and it wheel hopped and I snapped the passenger halfshaft. Got greedy. Was a blast and I'll be sure to get some bias ply tires for next time

Yep. You have to be careful with drag radials at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread