first time at an 1/8 track

pohnjarker

Established Member
Had my first runs on the 1/8th mile track...had a lot of fun.

I started with a 10.02 spinning through first, second, and into third. i then launched in second and got a 9.2. then the next two runs was raising the RPMs and launching higher which are posted below. It is a shitty track but running on street tires does no good, need some slicks or drag radials.

Here are my two fastest runs.

CedarCreekTrackTimes.jpg

ETA: i did a couple runs against a 97-98 Mustang with Vortech, driver said it was putting 350/460 to the wheels but who knows...his best run was a 9.4 cuz he said he wasnt catching any traction. His last run had a pully snap off of the line so he loaded it up for the night.

Last edited:

pohnjarker

Established Member
how did I do? is there an issue with starting off in second or is that ok? if i get some slicks or drag radials and skinnies, do you think i could be in the 7s??

any feedback or advice is welcome.

Kiohtee

Established Member
what kind of car are you driving

I assume the 5.0 in his sig...

Anyway, there are a few 5.0's around here that are running low 8's bone stock, but with a 2.3 60' I don't see that happening for you, but your MPH is there. :beer:

Get that 60' down and enjoy some low to mid 8's!

pohnjarker

Established Member
Anyway, there are a few 5.0's around here that are running low 8's bone stock, but with a 2.3 60' I don't see that happening for you, but your MPH is there. :beer:

Get that 60' down and enjoy some low to mid 8's!

ya know...i thought i should be low to mid 8s with my setup so you can imagine how pissed i was when i saw the 9s and 10s...

I'm driving a 2011 5.0 with jlt intake/tune and exhaust

I guess i need to work on my launch...in first it spun the tires and in second it bogged down way too much.

i wonder if i can turn the traction control off and get better results in second or should i just learn how to feather the throttle/clutch and start off in first...

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Launch Tips

My stock junk went 8.4~8.5 @ 85~86mph with 2.0~2.1 60fts and I was much slower than a stock 11 second 5.0 Mustang GT. Nice smooth launches will bring down those times a ton... honestly you should be running low 8s in the 1/8th with some descent launches.

Practice, practice, practice and good luck!!!

Kiohtee

Established Member
Launch Tips

My stock junk went 8.4~8.5 @ 85~86mph with 2.0~2.1 60fts and I was much slower than a stock 11 second 5.0 Mustang GT. Nice smooth launches will bring down those times a ton... honestly you should be running low 8s in the 1/8th with some descent launches.

Practice, practice, practice and good luck!!!

And OP, this ^^^ is why I'm pissed! My '98 Z28 only runs 8.9's when it should be running mid 8's with ease (at least 8.6-8.7). Granted I have a dying fuel pump and slight hesitation, so I know where my problems lay. :rolling:

Just keep practicing OP and definitely try a set of MT ET Streets. With tires, intake and tune I imagine you should be running really high 7's. :rockon:

These 5.0's are nothing to mess with!

chancejat

Established Member
Launch in first gear at 1700 RPMs....shift to second slowly and hit third hard.....you should run at least an 8.4 with a 2.0 60ft. With drag radials you'll run 7s easy.....

Z28

Established Member
You have good MPH for a high 7 or low 8. Throw on a set of drag wheels wheel w/ some bias-ply tires, makes all the difference. Run the rpms up to 4-5 and slip the clutch out of the hole.

pohnjarker

Established Member
I wont be able to get some radials before i leave to go overseas in a couple weeks but I will have a car fund while im over there and when i get back...i'll be into the 7s easy.

i hope to get to the track at least once more before i leave to practice...the new Ventus V12 evos arent too bad. I've read that i should only spin the tires to get the junk off, not to back up into the water box and burn them out completely since they are street tires, it wouldnt help any...

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
I don't suggest going through the water box on street tires, but to each their own! Personally it didn't help me. I give 'em a good 3-5 second spin then stage.

pohnjarker

Established Member
I don't suggest going through the water box on street tires, but to each their own! Personally it didn't help me. I give 'em a good 3-5 second spin then stage.

I pretty much gunned it to spin until i got to the line...probably a second or two.

the mustang i was running against backed into the water box after i told him not too...needless to say he spun first and second and went about 20 feet...lol. coincidentally he also snapped off a pully on that run, that sucked...

busarich

Established Member
OP I feel your pain, I did a 8.4 @ 89.4 with a 2.2 60ft. I didnt lower the tire pressure and feel like I was trying to launch to aggresive.

Users who are viewing this thread