First rotary detail on the cobra...

spree

Established Member
Well...I busted out my Harbor Freight Chicago Electric $29 rotary this morning to detail my car. This thing makes the PC look like a little toy. It's heavier, more powerful, way more dangerous, splatters a lot more, more difficult to control...but man, does it pay off once you get the hang of using it properly.

I also used Poorboy's Polish w/ Carnauba Blue for the first time today. It's an interesting product. It feels a lot like RMG, acts a lot like RMG (darkens the paint a tad), but it has the light polishing ability of VM. Definitely a stellar product.

- Optimum Polish via CE Rotary w/ LC light cutting pad (orange pad)
- Optimum Polish via CE Rotary w/ LC polishing pad (white pad)
- Poorboy's Polish w/ Carnauba Blue via PC w/ Meg's polishing pad
- Poorboy's EX via PC w/ Meg's finishing pad
- Poorboy's Natty's Blue by hand, spitshined with Clearkote QS detailing spray
- Poorboy's BnB on tires
- Detailer's Pride window cleaner on glass

On to the pics...

img_0258.jpg

img_0259.jpg

img_0264.jpg

img_0265.jpg

img_0266.jpg

trance_in_miami

Established Member
wow spree very nice experimnet. :read: I really admire youre work. But honestly i see no diffrence between the combo you used with the rotary compared to the PC with optimum and Natty's blue. Obviously light reflection plays a major role. I would consider the Rotary for the Stubborn Swirls that SSR 2.5 cannot get rid off with the PC.

Porter Cable

img_0200.jpg

Rotary

img_0264.jpg

:beer:

spree

Established Member
trance_in_miami said:
But honestly i see no diffrence between the combo you used with the rotary compared to the PC with optimum and Natty's blue.

Nor would you see a difference in photos. The rotary removes defects that the PC can't. If you have a hairline clearcoat scratch that just won't come out with a PC, it will come out with the rotary. Or, if you have water etching...it'll come right out with the rotary. The rotary heats up the paint surface and cuts into your clearcoat way more effectively. That's why you can burn your paint with a rotary but not with a PC.

Juiced-03

Established Member
That black is keeping you busy! You'll wonder why you even bothered with the PC after using the rotary a few times. I only use the PC for applying sealants and liquid waxes.

I probably would have waited 24 hours before topping with natty's blue to let the EX cure (I have found it does add much better durability) but you detail your car often enough that it probably wouldn't matter much. Looks great! I don't see any holograms like I would expect with a rookie rotary user.

spree

Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
I probably would have waited 24 hours before topping with natty's blue to let the EX cure (I have found it does add much better durability) but you detail your car often enough that it probably wouldn't matter much. Looks great! I don't see any holograms like I would expect with a rookie rotary user.

I did have a couple very minor holograms on the rear passenger side panel, right above the fuel door...but I took care of those as soon as I noticed.

Last edited:

spree

Established Member
trance_in_miami said:
what do you recomend when using the rotary? so that i wont burn my paint. Im really tired of the swirl/hair line scratches.

Optimum polish. It has a very long working time, yet breaks down nicely with the rotary (even better than with the PC). I'd say it's relatively safe to use the rotary with Optimum as long as you don't crank up the speed too high or leave the rotary in one place for too long. I found that all was well as long as I kept the rotary moving at about 2" every second. I was even able to get away with using a light cutting pad, which is even more dangerous to use when using a rotary.

ExplorerThis

Valve Drop
Established Member
Looks good spree...And thats a compliment comming from a AS or maybe more anal black car owner...Just gotta keep one step ahead of the black paint. :bowdown:

Only thing that sucks is those browning magnflow pipes....yuck

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
Man that looks great, is a rotary what a body shop uses when they say "yeah we can buff that out"?

05 windveil blu

yes ignorance is bliss
Established Member
that is the best kept balck car i have ever seen i saw an 05 with more swirls the other day!
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread