First Race Night

Pure Vennom

Established Member
I may race for the first time tonight at the local track. Help a rookie and tell me what gear should I be in at the end of the race. 1/4 mile drag. I figure I won't even need 6th gear.

Need some last minute advice. Mostly I figure I will just go out and have a good time.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
If you've never raced a car at the dragstrip you've got a handfull of car there for your first time. Take it easy and don't try to set any track records on your first pass. Have fun.:beer:

Friendchicken

Take some white shoe polish and write " DRAG NEWBIE" on the back window.... cause that is what I am going to do haha

stang99

Should be in 4th at the finish line. Turn off the traction control and avoid wheel hop.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I might get some flack for this but I would advise leaving the TC on for your first few passes. Just to familiarize yourself with the tree, track, and car. I've seen 03s that were still spinning at almost half track. For a newcommer I think thats a bit dangerous.
Just my opinion. When you feel more comfortable take the TC off but be prepared for lots of wheel spin with the f1s till you get a better feel for launching the 03. I believe I've also seen here on this forum that optimum shift points for a stock 03 is around 6,200 rpm. I also have a relitivley stock 03 that I took to the drags for the first time this summer. These helped me. Good luck.
Let us know how you do.
Ray

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
Should be in 4th at the finish line. Turn off the traction control and avoid wheel hop.

and if the rear end does start hopping get out of it immediately :beer:

take a dot approved helmet too.

Last edited:

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Have a ball and don't sweat the small stuff!
Practice 'quick shifting' today without going to 6,000+ rpm. The focus, the timing, the thrill, then the agony of realizing you hit 5th not 3rd, or 6th not 4th. ha ha (don't ask why I mention it...)

Don't pull all the way up to the staging lights like I did the first time. Then they REALLY yell at you.

Don't take off in reverse if you have to back up for some reason...
Don't try to :burnout: on the stock tires.

;-)
JW

KOTH

Hang loose - travel light
Established Member
Helmets are typically required for cars running 13.99 or faster which of course your car is capable of.

Pure Vennom

Established Member
Well, back from my first experience at actually racing on the track. It gave ma a real appreciation for those you do it all the time and make it look so easy.

My runs were not to great and I told myself that I would take it easy and just have fun but I got a little case of... something like Buck Fever in Deer hunting season. I got excited and shifted from 1st to 4th and got a 14.46. I know a real bad run.

Got it down to the 13.9 the next run and still missed 3rd. and my best time for the night was 13.41 and 111.98 MPH. I was on F1 tires and no matter how much I tried I kept spinning 1st and 2nd gears.

I will plan on some drag radials, work on the launch, and try it again in a few weeks and see how it goes.

All that said and done. MAN IT WAS THE BOMB!!!!! I had a great time and it was a real experience. There are several factors involved in this sport and while I don't have a clue what the answers are yet I think I am going to have a blast figuring them out.

Incredibale

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
Just be sure to race civics and other little cars like that so you can go easy and learn your driving techniques and you will still win.:D

Why will the guys running the track yell at you if you have your windows down? Sorry if I sound stupid, there aren't any tracks around here.

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
Originally posted by RSXFMCJWR
Just be sure to race civics and other little cars like that so you can go easy and learn your driving techniques and you will still win.:D

Just so you know there was a CIVIC with a huge TURBO running 12.2's@120 spinning 1st & 2nd gear so I would be very careful who you race!

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
Pure Venom,

You weren't by chance running at Kil Kare tonight?

If so, you need some DRAG RADIALS BAD! I talked to your wife for a little while but some how never ran into you. Maybe I'll have my car out there next time you run.

Don't feel bad about your times, that track sucks! Even with Drag Radials it is pretty slick! As long as you had fun and didn't break anything, it was a good night!:beer:

Josh

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
Originally posted by Got-Cobra?
Just so you know there was a CIVIC with a huge TURBO running 12.2's@120 spinning 1st & 2nd gear so I would be very careful who you race!

Yeah, but you can tell those civics from the slow ones.

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
Originally posted by RSXFMCJWR
Yeah, but you can tell those civics from the slow ones.

Other than a Black hood, it looked stock from the outside!

Until you see the laptop in the front seat. :burnout:

Pure Vennom

Established Member
I will definately rethink the equipment and try again. If was fun and not to bad for my first run ever.

Josh, Hope to see ye there next time. Also if you are from Dayton some of us Stangers get together at Quaker Stake and Lube on Sundays at 4pm for a cruise in and some food. If you are interested. If you have any other stanger frinds they are welcome as well.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and comments

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread