First outing at the track

Joey8

Established Member
So i just got back from Island Raceway in great meadows nj. This was my first time ever at the track and it was a great experience. I got a ton of runs in but kind of shocked at my times/mph. My best was 13.1 @ 112 mph. My mods are in my sig and im still on the stock parellis and i couldnt get traction until third gear. However, I thought i would be trapping a bit higher like around 115-118 ish with my mods. My 60 best 60 foot was 2.2 which isn't great at all. What do you guys think I should be trapping based on my mods? I'm going to get a set of rims and nitto NT05R tires which should help the traction situation. Does not having traction effect the mph? I'm VMP tuned by the way.

SL0W5.0

Established Member
hmmm, im pretty sure you should be wayyy faster. was the track not prepped properly? was everyone running high times?

Joey8

Established Member
to be honest idk what a good or bad track prepping is. The camaros there were running high to mid 13s. Would bad track prep make my trap speed slower?

5lho

Established Member
Well...easy in the 11s, maybe not but, possible, yes. Get some real slicks, not radial crap and practice. I submit what I've done in my sig through stock airbox, exhaust, on the wimpiest tune available. The full exhaust and custom tune guys at my track are trapping 117-119, regularly.

My car isn't a track rat either, it's a fully loaded Premium car.

Bad track prep pushes up your ET because of the wasted time on the front end but, can actually raise mph a touch, as you're kind of artificially making the track longer. Generally though, you see high mph, with low ETs.

Joey8

Established Member
Interest info. It needs a driver mod desperately to lol. I just left off idle and ease into 1st and when i hit 2nd i got excited and just pinned it and spun, shifted to third spun a little then got traction and was okay. I was thinking of getting forgestar cf5vs with nitto nt05r (305/35/19). I wasn't shifting into 5th either i was just winding out 4th. Also, i was shifting at 7000 rpms or close to it. My dyno sheet shows peak hp at 6.6-6.7k rpms so i probably should of shifted closer to the 6.5k mark.

SL0W5.0

Established Member
Interest info. It needs a driver mod desperately to lol. I just left off idle and ease into 1st and when i hit 2nd i got excited and just pinned it and spun, shifted to third spun a little then got traction and was okay. I was thinking of getting forgestar cf5vs with nitto nt05r (305/35/19). I wasn't shifting into 5th either i was just winding out 4th. Also, i was shifting at 7000 rpms or close to it. My dyno sheet shows peak hp at 6.6-6.7k rpms so i probably should of shifted closer to the 6.5k mark.

what gears? i did the same as you launching off idle and terrible 60ft times and ran 13.01 while coasting the last 100 or so ft and i shifted at 7k too.

did you sit for too long waiting to go? maybe the intake temps got too high and the ecu was pulling timing?

Joey8

Established Member
what gears? i did the same as you launching off idle and terrible 60ft times and ran 13.01 while coasting the last 100 or so ft and i shifted at 7k too.

did you sit for too long waiting to go? maybe the intake temps got too high and the ecu was pulling timing?

I didn't sit for that long maybe a minute or 2 if that.

the mph is disconcerting especially in negative d/a

Agreed. Big time. I should of datalogged the runs to see what was going on. Any ideas on what it could be? Could i suck that much of a driver to screw up the MPH? Thats what im hoping for to be honest rather then the tune.

EDIT: I did run with traction control fully on. Do you think that had something to do with the slow trap speeds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7nFp6wQuyE&feature=youtu.be - here is the video of the pass. I noticed a weird bog in 2nd gear around the 10-11 second mark in the video.

Last edited:

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
That was a weird bog. Definitely turn TC off. I tried with TC, with the sport mode TC that comes with the track pack and with TC off. My best times were with TC off.

Joey8

Established Member
That was a weird bog. Definitely turn TC off. I tried with TC, with the sport mode TC that comes with the track pack and with TC off. My best times were with TC off.

That may be it. I figured with TC fully on it would cut down on the wheelspin. Funny thing is still spun my wheels like crazy but it seemed to bog (which i found out after watching the video). Hopefully the track will be open next sunday and ill try to get down there with some buddies and run it with the TC off. Do you think that bogging what the TC kicking it cutting power?

old_goat

Established Member
Ditch the stock tires and get some for the track and you should be easily in the 11's.

Well...easy in the 11s, maybe not but, possible, yes.

His mods
l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI l :bowdown:VMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCovers l Dual Aeroforce Gauges l

With those mods, some good track tires, and good weather, he's easily in the 11's. All my car has is drag radials, Bama 93R tune, CAI, and lower control arms and I'm in the 12.teens.

That may be it. I figured with TC fully on it would cut down on the wheelspin. Funny thing is still spun my wheels like crazy but it seemed to bog (which i found out after watching the video). Hopefully the track will be open next sunday and ill try to get down there with some buddies and run it with the TC off. Do you think that bogging what the TC kicking it cutting power?

Just step on the brake and hold the traction button down for about 8 seconds, then haul ass on the last yellow light.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Joey8

Established Member
I'm talking to a buddy of mine and he watched the youtube video and he thinks the "bog" in 2nd is the clutch slipping...opinions?

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I was there on Friday same track. No street tire will grip in 26 deg weather and the track prep wasn't that good. I have 285 Nitto 555's and launching at 2500 with 40% throttle was lighting them up. Few weeks prior I was at ATCO and my car grips right after I'm done slipping the clutch. Full grip 1st and 2nd, of course it was a bit warmer. My best time was a 12.8 spinning badly and that was a glory run, I couldn't replicate it.

Last edited:

Joey8

Established Member
I was there on Friday same track. No street tire will grip in 26 deg weather and the track prep wasn't that good. I have 285 Nitto 555's and launching at 2500 with 40% throttle was lighting them up. Few weeks prior I was at ATCO and my car grips right after I'm done slipping the clutch. Full grip 1st and 2nd, of course it was a bit warmer. My best time was a 12.8 spinning badly and that was a glory run, I couldn't replicate it.

This was my first time ever at a track so I don't really know what a good or bad track feels like. The clutch slipping in 2nd is with the clutch pedal fully out. This was right after i shifted into 2nd totally released the clutch. My friend told me it could be bc the clutch glazes over when the fluids get hot? I am at 443/417 so maybe thats a bit much for the stock clutch? Idk, i only have 10.6k miles on the car. About 10 dyno pulls if that, two good burnouts and today was my first track day. I don't really beat on the car so i'd be shocked if the clutch was shot. Under normal driving it seems to grab fine...:??:

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
I'm not saying it's not, but I haven't heard of any clutch issues at that HP level under that condition. Only one way to find out. Take it to the track and run without TC. My guess is, that's the issue. Also, as stated above, better tires and more seat time will really help. Post up some vids after you go next time. I want to see how it turns out.

Joey8

Established Member
I thought I spun in second to but my buddy thought you would here more tire sqeeling like you did off launch. I should of ran with TC off this way my motor wouldn't bog as much as it did. Hopefully, I could get to the track next sunday and test it without TC and see if the MPH goes up. I'm really not expecting a miracle 11.99 pass because im by no means an experienced driver. I would like to see my car trap 114 - 116 though. I'm going to try and get some datalogs and send em to shaun at AED. MIght as well sip on the coolaid seems like its been on point in these forums!

Users who are viewing this thread