First open track event in the Shelby

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
We all buy vehicles for different reasons. Our motives for a purchase are about as varied as our opinions on any given topic on any given day. It is no different for our beloved '13/'14 GT500's. We've seen people buy this car because of the horsepower numbers, or the top speed, or because of brand loyalty, and yes we also see people buy it and sell it 1000miles later because they're only interested in the "flavor of the month". While I don't think any of us have the right to say another person's reasons are "wrong", I just wanted to share an experience that only served to solidify and deepen my affection for this car.

Last weekend I rounded out my typical battery of automotive events by participating in an open track event put on by a Porsche Club. At some point during ownership I always try to put my new car through it's paces in 3 main arenas of activity: Drag Racing, Autocrossing, and Road Racing. Many of you have heard me mention my feelings about the car when I first got it, so this post will sort of be a small summary now that I've tried her out properly. My car is stock as far as power is concerned and the only performance mods to speak of are FRPP springs and BMR's rear kit. As some of you have pointed out, I've been known to bemoan the way the car performs on the street. For this much power, I was expecting something more aggressive. I've found the GT500 to feel highly composed, controllable, and refined. In a word, I've always called it "Civilized". While this sounds like a compliment, it's never been a term I've ever attached to a Mustang, nor was it one I really wanted to. After this weekend's activities in the GT500 I can honestly say the venue in which I've enjoyed driving it most is on the road course. I know it may be a bit counterintuitive to think the Shelby is better on an open track than a drag strip, but for ME, it is. Obviously all 3 events are different enough to make a true comparison unfair, but what I'm actually talking about is how the car handles the event in stock form.

1. When drag racing, I found myself annoyed by the stock programming which pulled power and caused bog in one of two ways: Through Traction Control detecting wheelspin when in one of the launch modes, or through the Electronic Clutch Protection detecting clutch slip when all modes are turned off. Without changing the car from stock form (wider/stickier tires, aftermarket tune, etc) the fun factor of the car at the strip is somewhat limited.

2. When auto crossing, I felt the car surpassed my expectations. Typically the formula: Big Horsepower + Big, Heavy car + Small tires + Small parking lot = A less than stellar showing. Instead, I found myself impressed with how well the car gathered itself up if it started to lose control. I was impressed at how it tucked it's rear in behind you and allowed you to navigate a decreasing radius turn with amazing agility. In fact, I was impressed with the grip of the tires too, as long as you could get them warmed up. The problem with autocrossing for me around here is you typically leave it in 1st gear and engage in an intricate dance between your foot and the gas pedal, with the thought of flooring it being a pipe dream.

3. When road racing…change out your brake fluid, and go drive your ass off! That's it! In stock form, this car has everything you need to have one of the best driving experiences of your life. The car put on a stellar performance for me. Yes, of course modding it would make it even better, but this is one event you can really push the car without really needing to touch a thing! I finally felt like the car had found it's niche where it was happiest (again, I'm taking about in stock form).

The tires performed flawlessly. I couldn't have asked for anything more from a street tire from the factory. The brakes were always there for me when I needed them and the tires stuck like champs. Accellerating, cornering, or braking, the tires were well up to the task. I know everyone else on here hates them so I'll be MORE than happy to take your stockers off your hands for cheap since they suck so much. :rolling:

Anyway, I'll ramble on forever if I'm not careful so I'll move on to the actual event vids. I met up with another SVT member in Tulsa and we cruised to the track Thursday morning. We arrived a little after 8am and the temps outside were in the low 40's at best. I looked at the dash temp when we were pulling out of the hotel parking lot and it read 37 degrees outside. Our first run session was spent taking it easy. We were going to have more track time than anyone could ever want so there was no point in pushing it too hard at the beginning when the track was cold.

In this first video the purpose was for me to film him as we went around the track. We wern't racing each other or trying to set a new personal best or anything. It was still cold out so we were just having fun and blowing the cobwebs out. I hadn't driven this track since 2005 so I was happy to get a feel for the track during the morning sessions anyway.

Hallett - 11/7/13 - Morning Session 2 on Vimeo

I wanted to include this second video because I liked the camera angle so much. The owner of the red GT500 told me about his experience putting the camera on the bumper in front of one of the headlights. It sounded cool so I wanted to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion Steve, I love it!! :beer: I really like how easy it is to see the difference in speed between the slow first outlap and the full speed ones that follow. I typically run the first lap at about 60% to get everything up and running, then I'll push it up to about 90% for the second lap. By the 3rd or 4th lap I usually feel like the car is good to go and I'll push it harder. Sorry for the watermark in the middle of the screen on this one. I was using a trial version of some conversion software to see if I liked it before I purchased it.

Hallett - 11/7/13 - 2013 Shelby GT500 Bumper cam at Hallett Raceway on Vimeo

SINISTRR

Established Member
Great post!!

I agree with everything you said about taking it out to a road course. I've had a blast taking mine out on lapping days.

I, too, will be happy to take anyone's Goodyear F1's off their hands. They were unreal on the track!!

lvxlr8n

Established Member
Thanks for sharing the video's. While the bumper view vid was cool, I personally liked the view from inside the car.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I agree, I had the most fun with the car doing the road course. Drag racing for me is ok, not big on it. A nice roll race event is fun too.

fastozzy

Whalenstein
Established Member
Looks like fun. Great video. I have a few questions about these type of events now days. How many sessions do you typically get in a day or weekend? What is the typical cost now days. Years ago I did track events at Road Atlanta and Nashville Speedway. We typically paid about 60 to 100 and got about 3 to 4 forty minute sessions. I ran in the mid class so passing in certain corners was prohibited. Road Atlanta now does not really have open track days and Nashville Speedway doesn't seem to have any event either. My best place to go now would be VIR so if anyone has been there please advise.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Looks like fun. Great video. I have a few questions about these type of events now days. How many sessions do you typically get in a day or weekend? What is the typical cost now days. Years ago I did track events at Road Atlanta and Nashville Speedway. We typically paid about 60 to 100 and got about 3 to 4 forty minute sessions. I ran in the mid class so passing in certain corners was prohibited. Road Atlanta now does not really have open track days and Nashville Speedway doesn't seem to have any event either. My best place to go now would be VIR so if anyone has been there please advise.

typically 250-350 bucks

3-4 20 mins sessions

1971mach1

Established Member
Great video... I started auto crossing my 13 gt 500 this year after not doing it since late 80's when I had my 85 gt. Big difference with my 13 gt500 it took some time to gain confidence !!! After seeing your video I look forward to stepping up to track days next year. THANKS

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great post!

You guys really make me want to try a road course!
I've intentionally avoided that for now, I'm pretty sure I'd become a regular.
Any idea how a gear swap impacts road course use?

Lethal--I know how passionate you are about your car, I feel the same way. I hope you didn't take things the wrong way when I was giving you grief about mods. As a former Terminator owner I felt the same way you did based on your posts and just wanted to confirm your instinct that a tune and gear swap changes the character of the car.
Again, awesome post, love to see someone using it as SVT intended!
-J

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

Depends on several factors. If you end the track out during the week it's usually cheaper than on weekends. Also, if you have a group of people who are renting the track (like my recent event) if will generally be split up depending on how many people show up. The more cars, the cheaper the event. We only had 4 cars show up so we had the entire track to ourselves for the entire day. We could run as much as we wanted. I ran 4 sessions with about 15 min per session. Our event was $200.

Great video... I started auto crossing my 13 gt 500 this year after not doing it since late 80's when I had my 85 gt. Big difference with my 13 gt500 it took some time to gain confidence !!! After seeing your video I look forward to stepping up to track days next year. THANKS

I enjoy both, but for me there was a natural progression. I enjoyed drag racing but quickly got tired of 11 seconds of fun and hours of standing around. I moved to auto crossing and loved it even more. I then got to enjoy 50+ seconds of driving fun at a time. As you can imagine, 20 minutes of driving at once is even better yet. I will admit though, autocrossing is much cheaper, safer, and easier on the car.

what was top speed in the second vid?

I can't recall exactly but I'm winding out 3rd gear, so you can get a general idea since we know where 3rd tops out. I can remember seeing the needle sweeping somewhere in the 115-120mph range before I had to focus on the braking zone. It's actually a very short straight so hitting the 120mph range is commendable, especially since I was coming off the corner so softly.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Great post!

You guys really make me want to try a road course!
I've intentionally avoided that for now, I'm pretty sure I'd become a regular.
Any idea how a gear swap impacts road course use?

Lethal--I know how passionate you are about your car, I feel the same way. I hope you didn't take things the wrong way when I was giving you grief about mods. As a former Terminator owner I felt the same way you did based on your posts and just wanted to confirm your instinct that a tune and gear swap changes the character of the car.
Again, awesome post, love to see someone using it as SVT intended!
-J

Gears would simply make you work harder since you'd be shifting more frequently. You'd also have to take more care coming off the corners since grip might be a little more difficult to come by. It certainly shouldn't be anything to prevent you from making a run. This Porsche club rents this track out all the time so if you wanted to shoot for a spring event I'd be happy to try to meet up and run again. :beer:

I have no hard feelings about anything anyone has said on here. I take everything all in good fun unless someone seems really irritated. No worries man! :rockon:

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Pretty well my observations when I ran my car @ Mosport this past July. The car is an animal on the road course..........with the right setup.

I personally don't find this car too great on the dragstrip.................a lot of that for me is due to the useless 3:31 gearing. You really need a shorter gear in the rear for it to really work well on the strip. Figuring out and getting rid of that 2nd gear grind BS issue would help me like the car better for drag racing.

I will be running a few more road course events next year in the Shelby and am currently looking @ a standing mile event or running the triangle @ Pocono but the last two I really want to do in my Z06.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Pretty well my observations when I ran my car @ Mosport this past July. The car is an animal on the road course..........with the right setup.

I personally don't find this car too great on the dragstrip.................a lot of that for me is due to the useless 3:31 gearing. You really need a shorter gear in the rear for it to really work well on the strip. Figuring out and getting rid of that 2nd gear grind BS issue would help me like the car better for drag racing.

I will be running a few more road course events next year in the Shelby and am currently looking @ a standing mile event or running the triangle @ Pocono but the last two I really want to do in my Z06.

Yup. I'm interested in running the mile too (not sure what the triangle is) though I don't see me being interested in doing it more than once. I'd like to see how the car performs, but after that I don't see enough to keep my attention like some of these other events do.

After running the GT500 on a road course like this I have a hard time understanding all the complaints about it. Obviously the people complaining are people who have not driven previous mustangs on a road course before! :lol:

You describe it well when you call it an "animal" on a road course. :beer:

SINISTRR

Established Member
When I went to Calabogie Motorsport Park near Ottawa, it was $450 and I had 7x 25 minute sessions. Plus gas of course.

Track days are not cheap but sooooooooooo worth every penny!!

And I agree that this car in an animal on a road course. If you have the opportunity to track this car, DO IT!!!!!

Van@RevanRacing

We are running Daytona Dec 6,7 & 8

$1200 for three days and four to five 30 minute sessions per day.

Sunday afternoon is basically wide open and you get as much as you can handle.

Trust me when I tell you that two hours a day or more at Daytona is tiring as hell. But you can't get 33 degrees if banking anywhere else.

Lethalchem I'm happy that you enjoyed Hallett. Great track. Raced there back in 2009 and they aren't kidding about turn two.

"don't brake until you see God!"

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Triangle is Pocono Raceway where the NASCAR racers race in the Pocono 400, known as the "tricky triangle".

They offer a drive a stock car session in the morning and in the aftn. you can run your own car on the track this is the event I want to do but driving a stock car in the morning is not bad also.

http://www.877stockcar.com/driveyourown/index.htm

Last edited:

BLK93GT

Established Member
Great post! I really want to hit a road course with my car this coming summer. I enjoy the strip but corners are even more fun. I have pushed my car hard on the back roads and off ramps and love the stock tires in corners. They GRAB once warm! I just got a pair of rears off here for pretty cheap. I beat mine all summer and can't complain. I cut 1.93 60ft and ran 11.91 in my 2011.

Users who are viewing this thread