First mod for suspension/handling

96mystic

Wannabe postslut
Established Member
My car as of now is bone stock on the suspension and spring.. ect.ect... Im very very interesting doing a full upgrade on my suspension and springs.. all the goodies.. What brand name is really good to stick with? and what mod's should i start out with...I dont wanna go and do it all at once.. dont really have the cash. But i wouldnt mind doing a lil at a time..

Any reply's/opinions are appreciated.. Thanks :beer:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
A good set of shocks and springs will go farther than you think on that car. Tokico 5 way adjustables are very good and offer you the choice of softer ride if you want it. Steeda carries them and a very good line of springs. I would also contact them about the X2 balljoint for lowered vehicles if you do lower the car. This helps keep good suspension geometry in cornering with lowered vehicles.

Upper and Lower control arms will help keep the rear in place. K member coil overs and A arms will help balance out the weight on the nose heavy car. However, be aware that anytime you add alot of urethane/delrin to the suspension, you're going to feel the road more. Not that everypothole will kill you, but you can really feel all the crack and breaks in the pavement through the steering wheel and seat of the pants. A battery relocation will also help the weight distribution. Any weight that can't be removed should be relocated to a better position. In our case, to the rear in the nose heavy Stangs.

Some subframe connectors wil help stiffen the entire chassis up. It will prevent that horrible flex in the chassis in hard cornering that changes suspension geometry. Perhaps even a REAR shock tower brace

Steeda and Kenny Brown are probably your two best bets for the money. Griggs and a few other offer premium suspension items as well

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I really liked the change subframes gave my car. they really stiffned up the chasis, no flex and I feel really confident going into a turn.
I have a 96 Cobrawith Tokiko 5way Illuminas, BBK upper and lower CA's, Eibach 'black' springs, Gripps subframe connectors and Nitto 255x45x17 in front- 275x40x17 DR's in the back and I this has to be the best handling car I have ever owned. I would have no problem recommending any of the suspension parts on my car to anyone. FWIW

Alex

cobraondarun

Established Member
I WOULD GO WITH THE GTRAC FROM STEEDA ITS A LITTLE COSTLY BUT ITS THE BEST U CAN GET I HAVE THE WHOLE STAGE 3 AND ITS AWESOME. NOW I WANNA MAKE MY CAR FAST.

blackfang

Established Member
For suspension, I would go with MM, or Griggs. I have heard some bad things about KB, and Steeda. As for subframes, try to get them fabricated. They are alot stiffer, stronger then most brands you buy. If you decide not to do that, then buy weld on ones.

if you are going to relocate your battery and you drag race, remember to get an external battery shutoff. Otherwise you will not pass tech at an IHRA/NHRA track.

Users who are viewing this thread