First good race-Harley V-Rod

Mr Incredible

Established Member
Always wondered how fast the V-rods are. I bought my Cobra a few months ago and it's just starting to get warm enough for bikes to start coming out:rockon: So I've been hunting. :coolman: Rolled up on the guy about 30 in 2nd with the 4.10s. He seemed like a cool guy, I looked at him and he revved so I said, "go on three honks?" and he nodded his head yes. After three I floored it and we stayed pretty even while the 295 BFG Drags scrambled for traction. After I shifted to 3rd I had all eyes on the road so I didn't watch how fast I pulled him. When I shifted to fourth I glanced in my rear view and saw him disappearing, probably about 3 or 4 car lengths back. I let off shortly after that.

Stopped and talked afterward and he was real nice. He said he ran an 11.7 in Albuquerque, which I guess corrects around a second quicker at sea level. So I know he at least had some experience riding. He said he beat 600's and can hang with most 750's until about 90 and then they walk away. Gives me a pretty good idea of where I'm at I guess, if that's true. Either way, I was happy, I know I surprised the hell out of him. His buddies said, "you guys were hanging pretty close." and he said, "Yeah until he shifted, and then he walked away." Made me feel pretty good to "walk away" from a bike.:-D

Last edited:

bmfgsxr

Established Member
good job. those vrods are reasonably quick, but he must have a little aftermarket help to hang with a new gen 750..

Mr Incredible

Established Member
I forgot to ask, but from the numbers I've seen for a stock V-rod I'd have to agree with you. A stock V-rod shouldn't run an 11.7 in Albuquerque I don't think.

Youkai

Established Member
Nice kill!

Just FYI the V-rods are about the same as a 600cc sportbike.

Not sure how he kills 600's cause they are almost the same with the edge to the 600. No way he can keep up with 750's, but its all about rider.

With your horsepower, you should have no problems with 600's and should surprise 750's.

Last edited:

Mr Incredible

Established Member
Just an update. Found out it's a regular V-rod with an intake and a Power Commander and did indeed run an 11.7 in Albuquerque.

DC97Cobra

Established Member
Harleys are stop light to stop light fun and are pigs over 100mph. Aerodynamics are defanitely against him as well as RPM and gears. Try catching him from a stop light. You might be more impressed. :D

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
One of my buddies has a Triumph Daytona 955. I had just parked my GSX-R1000 for the evening and took my Cobra to our motorcycle club meeting. Afterward, he jokingly said he wanted to race. Earlier, he had topped his bike out at 158mph indicated in fifth gear, with sixth gear still to spare. He didn't think the bike had much left in sixth, so I told him I'd walk him on the top end if we raced.

This doesn't really count as a race, but as we made a left turn, with me in front of him, I nailed it in first gear and lit up the rears. I then shifted into second and waited to see what he'd do. He moved into the right lane to pass and I nailed it in second. He didn't gain any ground on me, all the way up to 2nd gear redline. When we stopped a bit later, he sounded impressed.

So again, not really a race, but a decent indication of what might have happened in a true side-by-side line-up.

Users who are viewing this thread