First engine build....351w

blueovalfan

Established Member
Hey guys, I plan on making my first attempt at assembling my own 351w from a junk yard this fall/winter. I have an 86GT that will soon be converted to mass air using an A9L computer then I'll be ready to head out to the junk yard to find a decent 94+ 351w roller motor(block casting F4TE i think). I believe I'm on the right track with my laundry list of needed conversion parts with 351w specific intake, distributor, 28oz damper, 28 oz flywheel, FRPP oil pan kit and power steering bracket.

Once I rid the motor of its useless stock pieces and its down to the shortblock I plan on using trickflow heads with trickflow R series intake, AFM cam and high rev valve springs and 1.6 RR's (could change depending on their suggestions). The only thing I'm a bit intimidated about is degreeing the cam, adjusting the valve lash and setting timing, anybody know some good SBF how to books that could help walk me through these steps? I would really like to avoid introducing the valve on my brand new heads to the piston at a rate of around three times per second lol

I'm a machinist by trade so I have an understanding of tolerances and know how to use precision measuring tools and consider myself mechanically inclined for your average guy so I think I should be able to handle this with a little help. Sorry for the long post

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread