First encounter with a new GTO

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
the new GTO's are lame. give those sweet lookin camaros and firebirds a bad name. know i'm a ford guy but after seeing this sweet camaro at sac raceway, i have much respect for them.

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by CLUTCH
Can't believe he screwed with a 03 cobra so much. It's one thing to pick a run just to see how bad the ownage looks but crap man he wasn't playing classy.

Nice kill.

Good kill. I'd like to see his face when he jumps on an 03 running 16 psi.

tigerwoods

Established Member
you had cai and exhaust, and only got him by 4 lengths. that means a stock 03 is only gonna beat one by 2 - 2/12. everybody is bagging on the GTO but it seems to run about the same as a ss or ta. from the early rumors people said it was a dog and couldnt get out of its own way. once it hit the streets now things have changed.

tigerwoods

Established Member
4 lengths is a good .3-.4 in the 1/4. Whats wrong with that?

winning is winning, but before GTO came out everbody said it was a high 13 low 14 sec car. now that it is here a lighlty modded 03 can only beat it by 4 lengths up to 120. to me it just doesnt seem like the GTO is the big joke alot of people are making it out to be. say the cai and exhaust will get a cobra down to 12.7 in the 1/4, that make the GTO a 13.1 car. that is right there with the ss, ta, and c5. if the cobra is stock and runs 12.9, 13.0 then the GTO is right there with it.

Bingo13

Established Member
I ran that GTO from a roll both times. He spent a good part of the time in his best power band for the run. I know my daughter's slightly warmed over '02 SS will give me a run for the money on a 60 to 110 jaunt but I start pulling away easily in fourth.

I believe if we would have run from a stop that the results would have been far worse for the GTO and if I had power shifted the highway runs would have been worse. I took it easy on the shifts and rpms since I had no trouble passing him after he jumped me on both runs.

I could tell when I hit fourth gear that I was starting to walk on him fairly good but I then shut down due to the road conditions.

I would not doubt that with a good driver that the GTO is a 13.4@105 type car. I could have run against a very strong driver or more likely GM is under rating the LS1 in it like Ford has with our cars.

The next time I meet one I will drive as if my wallet depends on it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread