first drive impressions-lots good, few gripes

SnakeCharmed

Established Member
Get to the dealer and they have it sitting right out front. About 5 people hanging around looking at it. The salesman immediately comes out, shakes my hand and says "it's got 8 miles from the factory, we put no miles on it. Can I drive it down to the gas station to fill it up, I would really appreciate it". I said no problem, and he drove it to the station filled it up and I drove back. I then signed a few papers, gave them a check and left in about 45 mins.

Now the good: Power comes fast and steady all the way to red line. Not the brute force grunt I had expected, very linear and smooth, I have driven an M3 and the power delivery is similar to me. I guess what I am trying to say is, it is not the American muscle as I remember it from the old days, that is not a bad thing.

Ride quality: Huge improvement over my 96 Cobra. This was the biggest surprise to me, believe it or not, I still can't get over how nice the ride is. Handling is also an improvement.

Brakes: Also seemed uprgraded to me, and it is not just because of new back pads, I felt the brakes were better than my 96.

Exterior: Also an upgrade, the paint job is flawless, Mineral Grey is awesome and the crowd surrounding it at the dealer agreed. My 96 had a couple of paint imperfections, like dust or dirt in the paint. This has none of that.

Transmission: Significant upgrade, I am wondering if I should put in the Tri Ax I bought, I thought it shifted precise and solid, throws are much better than the 96.

Now the not so good:

Interior: Low budget, car would be perfect with an upgrade in the interior. I'm shocked at how plain it looks and feel the quality of the leather is sub par. The inserts don't do anything for me. I am glad I kept my Recaro's out of my 96. Did not have time to mess with the stereo, but first impressions are it's not an uprade, I do like the six disc in dash, but that is it. For this kind of money we should have gotten a MACH 650 or something in between 460-1000.

I also feel they almost got the stance right, another 1/2 " lower would be perfect.

All in all, my gripes are minor, fact is the money is in the drivetrain and it shows. My magnaflow and shifter is supposed to go in Friday. Had I waited to purchase them, I would have put in 4.10's (this thing screams for 4.10's) and lowered it half an inch instead. The sound of the SC is sweet and now I am worried a louder exhaust will drown that out. And the shifter for me is not an issue so far. Bottom line, it is worth the wait and I think it is a significant improvement over the 96-98.

Mowgli

Established Member
Body fit and squeak. Any?
How does the body and interior pieces comport themselves over road bumps?

Is it a cacophony of squeaks and rattles (like every vette I've sat in ;-) ) or is it nice and snug? Squeaks and rattles are a pet peeve of mine. I don't mind so much build material, its build finish and fit that gets to me.

Just curious. And congrats. I'm going crazy waiting on mine. 5 days, just 5 days...

Also, I think you'll appreciate the suede inserts in the heat and cold. How hot has it been since you rode in it? Gotten in it after its sat in the direct sun for a period of time? Its moments like that that the suede is worth its weight in gold. Ditto the winter.

Last edited:

SnakeCharmed

Established Member
Fit and finish is perfect, no squeaks or rattles, interior fit and finish is very good. It has been very hot and humid here was about 100 yesterday, and agree that the ALCANTRA or what ever, is good for hot and cold, my complaint is the color, I would have preferred a charcoal insert like the Lexus IS 300. The leather quality is also sub par in my opinion. Build quality on mine so far (only 60 miles) is excellent. In fact I never had any rattles or fit issues with my 96, just some paint issues and fortunately they were on lower parts of the car and somewhat hidden. If yours is as well put together as mine you will be very satisfied.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
congradulations on the car. I am doing everything I can to order one in a few days. I have been wanting to get a cobra since 98. You should put in the exhaust right away, you will see a big difference.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Great report. Congrats. Mine is do here next week. JP

Mowgli

Established Member
OH cobra. Have you heard anything about where your car is, the status, etc. From VOPC? Mine is also supposed to be here next week, but with the factory 2-week vacation shutdown going on I'm beginning to wonder.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Mowgli, I saw your other post. I too got an update today. Built and at Ramp 59, they don't ship until ramp 53. (20 minutes away in a "mixing" yard). I believe ramp 59 is the Parking lot of the Dearborn assembly plant. 53 is a yard 20 mins away where the carriers pick them up and take similar destination runs. I know mine is built. Just not here. Had told my daughter that we would ride in the 4th of July parade in our new convertible. She's bummed. I'm bummed. Original delivery date of 6/24. Let me know when you get yours. Mineral gray vert on order.

Mowgli

Established Member
Doh. Well it looks like I'm looking at getting a "your car has been delayed" phone call.

Bummed here too. Didn't think someone would "forget" to update the VOPC.

Users who are viewing this thread