First Drive: 2015 Mustang GT with the Performace Pack

jacker1991

Established Member
Great Article Mr. Turner!
youtherealmvp.jpg

Rotzs99

Established Member
Should be interesting to see the market going forward. In 2003-04 the dragstrip cobra guys could always swap in a GT axle. Now they're stuck with IRS.

The other thing that got me thinking was the line about the "antiquated" solid axle. Sounds a lot like the "antiquated" pushrods in the GMs.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
First off Steve, excellent writeup from a mechanical perspective. Crisp, clear photography and superbly done videos. I smiled when I saw the MT82 on its side, as I know you know we want more here at SVTP. I was also glad to see that Wilson hasn't gone anywhere as I just don't hear of him as much as in the past and I loved everything he's written for many years.

Regarding the car, as with many, the shape is growing on me. It happens with every new iteration. When you park an S550 next to an S197 the older car looks rather dated, to put it nicely. That said, the somewhat curvy/bulbous S550 body is absolutely begging for more wheel/tire. Even the largest combination shown in your photos reminds of the ancient TRX sized rubber from long ago. I can't wait for the truly "phat" factory rolling stock that has shown up on Ford's Parts website to arrive. The proportions of the new car are begging for it.

One of your captions stated...

Steve said:
An EMS2450 is a manual PCM, and an EMS2450 is an auto PCM.

Are they supposed to be the same number? And regarding wheel hop, I noticed on the FRPP photo you linked in an earlier writeup said that the upcoming replacement half shafts have "31-spline axle bars with anti-wheel hop technology."

2-2015-Mustang-FRPP-Parts.jpg

You noticed it right away. FRPP will soon have parts available that are said to specifically address the issue. Can you go a little more in depth about it? Does it somehow not rear its head when using the factory "line lock" but somehow does show up under certain dynamic conditions?

Again, great job.

Tob

EditorTurner

Established Member
The auto computer code has a 2 at the end, Tob. Sorry for the slip-up.

As for the hop, I'd guess all that computer power helps when the line lock is engaged.

onlya302

Rise to the Challenege
Established Member
Steve,

Did you get a chance to drive the EB PP on Angeles Crest as well? If so could you tell much difference in handling based on the weight differences?

Users who are viewing this thread