First DE at Sebring with the new track rat

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
This was my first time out with my 1990 1.6 Miata, stock drivetrain with 160k on it, koni shocks, FM springs, 15x8 6UL wheels with 225 Hankook RS3s, gutted interior with seats/harnesses/6pt cage, and a few other odds and ends. This was my 4th DE overall, and just got solo qualified earlier in the day. The car ran absolutely great; I cant believe how well it held up for such an old, high mileage car! It was so much more fun on track than my previous car; it was literally like running a go-kart around the track. The car I was running before this was an 04 CTS-V, so I made a huge change going to the Miata.

The best time I could get was a 3:01.0. How terrible is that for Sebring? I was running mostly 3:02's and 3:03's.

Here are two videos I got; first one is me chasing an NSX around, the second is the same NSX and a Ford GT when it starts to rain, and the third video is me getting murdered by advanced drivers during Chin Motorsport's "Happy Hour" where all level drivers are on track together. I must say, it was a blast having some of those fast cars AND drivers on track with me!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQJtRzrGvwI&feature=related"]Chasing an NSX at Sebring - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ZX2ghQUqk&feature=related"]Running with a Ford GT and NSX at Sebring in the Rain - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1XgAbKDAqM"]Getting killed by Red Group drivers during Happy Hour - YouTube[/nomedia]

Any feedback is appreciated!

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Only watched the first one, but how did you like the drag racer?:lol1: You have smooth inputs and a nice relaxed grip on the wheel. Well done!

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I recognize the hand gestures you are using when rolling up on more powerful machines. :)

You are rather patient and do not push the issue, which is wise in a DE context, and especially when happening upon a driver of questionable skill. However, I would say that it wouldn't add much more risk to try and set up the passes better by arranging the turn to be on the throttle prior to apexing, such that your exit speed comes closer to matching the more powerful car....which in the case of the NSX.....doesn't get to the throttle at all until almost finished tracking out.

The other note I have for you is with regard to your hand positions. The car has enough turning capability, and the steering wheel is small enough diameter such that you never have to move the position of your hands. Not planting them in those positions now, will affect you later when you start to carry more speed and have the car in varying states of drift. Your hand positions staying in the same spot is a reference to your brain on the amount of steering angle you are using. Releasing the wheel and repositioning removes that reference and now you need to use a little more of the peripheral vision you were using to look down course where you should be looking, to a visual aid to reference your steering angle. Plant those hands and you'll never have to look at the wheel again. You can also wrap some tape in a contrasting color around the wheel at 12:00 as a reference as well. It will enter your peripheral vision much easier.

Plant those hands!!!

Last edited:

Sirl

Established Member
Well...
I wont say if its good or bad. The key is to have fun right :)

There is one other Miata that runs TT D here in S. Florida.
He is Very fast! and very experienced, and really kicks much faster cars asses...
so please dont compare. His time last week at Sebring was just under 2:35
and, he usually wins the class.

My buddy runs a 97 Cobra with him, and the Miata always wins.

By the way, if I recall, my best at Sebring is in the 2:45 area.

Hrmmm... Lemme check and see if this guys Miata is turbo charged.

Last edited:

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Well...
I wont say if its good or bad. The key is to have fun right :)

There is one other Miata that runs TT D here in S. Florida.
He is Very fast! and very experienced, and really kicks much faster cars asses...
so please dont compare. His time last week at Sebring was just under 2:35
and, he usually wins the class.

My buddy runs a 97 Cobra with him, and the Miata always wins.

By the way, if I recall, my best at Sebring is in the 2:45 area.

Hrmmm... Lemme check and see if this guys Miata is turbo charged.

wow, that is haulin! I believe I know who you are referring to; is it Victor Leo? He's set a bunch of lap records for NASA TT, and I think he holds the TTD and TTE lap records. If he's running TTD I'm almost positive hes turbocharged or supercharged. I know Joshua with the white supercharged Miata runs TTD. Most of the race-prepped spec Miatas are in TTE. With my mods (and taking off a few items) I'd be in TTF, which pretty much nobody runs in FL, lol.

I know the spec miata's are in the 2:45ish area if I recall, and I believe the lap record in a spec miata is a high 2:30.

My goal for myself is a 2:46 with the current setup, as is. That's what I ran with my CTS-V, and thats what I want to get to with this car. I've got a lot to work on though and getting rid of my habits that I had with the CTS-V, and learn to really use the momentum of this car. I dont feel I did too bad my first time out with this car, and my 4th DE overall.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
I recognize the hand gestures you are using when rolling up on more powerful machines. :)

You are rather patient and do not push the issue, which is wise in a DE context, and especially when happening upon a driver of questionable skill. However, I would say that it wouldn't add much more risk to try and set up the passes better by arranging the turn to be on the throttle prior to apexing, such that your exit speed comes closer to matching the more powerful car....which in the case of the NSX.....doesn't get to the throttle at all until almost finished tracking out.

The other note I have for you is with regard to your hand positions. The car has enough turning capability, and the steering wheel is small enough diameter such that you never have to move the position of your hands. Not planting them in those positions now, will affect you later when you start to carry more speed and have the car in varying states of drift. Your hand positions staying in the same spot is a reference to your brain on the amount of steering angle you are using. Releasing the wheel and repositioning removes that reference and now you need to use a little more of the peripheral vision you were using to look down course where you should be looking, to a visual aid to reference your steering angle. Plant those hands and you'll never have to look at the wheel again. You can also wrap some tape in a contrasting color around the wheel at 12:00 as a reference as well. It will enter your peripheral vision much easier.

Plant those hands!!!

Good point about exit speed, that would definitely help with those more powerful cars when tracking out.

Haha, you know what, I had no idea I did that with my hands until you pointed it out! I guess I never really looked at that part of the video. Very good advice! My last OMP wheel had the yellow center stripe, and I think i'll put one on this MOMO wheel. Yeah, the wheel is a 320mm compared to my old OMP 350mm, so I definitely use less input.

Sirl

Established Member
LOL,
Sorry, his car is turbo LOL
Yes, Victor and Joshua. Thats them. Way fast!

Should have checked my facts first

Last edited:

TroyV

Established Member
In a Miata, your straightaways are the turns. The term "momentum" is used a lot with these cars, maybe a bit overused...but true. For most turns, I am trying to be at wide open throttle just prior to or just after turning in for a corner. It is a way different mind set than in any other car you see in your videos. Most of those cars cannot hold the mid corner speed that a Miata can and must brake harder, and roll into the throttle more delicately on track out.

So, with this knowledge, you can spend a little more time setting up the corner prior to the pass to maximize the exit and use the only advantage these cars have over almost everything else out there with you.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
In a Miata, your straightaways are the turns. The term "momentum" is used a lot with these cars, maybe a bit overused...but true. For most turns, I am trying to be at wide open throttle just prior to or just after turning in for a corner. It is a way different mind set than in any other car you see in your videos. Most of those cars cannot hold the mid corner speed that a Miata can and must brake harder, and roll into the throttle more delicately on track out.

So, with this knowledge, you can spend a little more time setting up the corner prior to the pass to maximize the exit and use the only advantage these cars have over almost everything else out there with you.

Yeah I really need to get a SM'er in my car for a few laps to let me know how fast I can actually take the corners...

TroyV

Established Member
Having an experienced Spec driver in the car for a few laps will be an eye opener. My car is modified to Improved Touring A rules which allows things you can't really do in the spec series, and I run a better tire....yet I'm still at least two seconds off of the SM lap records at any track I go to.

Those guys can drive.

Users who are viewing this thread